Shroud of Turin

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So... since it didn't pop up until the 1300's... whatcha think of this "cloth that was the burial shroud of christ"?

Do you think it's real? Sham? Somewhere in between?
COMPLETE SHAM.

Upvote 0

PujolsNonRoidHomerHitter

He's not a man! He's a machine!
Feb 8, 2008
Missouri
Visit site
✟23,090.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What's up ERM?

The discovery channel seems to think it's real so who am I to question! :)

While you're at it can you find out who shot JFK and whether or not OJ is guilty and if the Black Sox scandal really went down the way they said?

Go Cards!

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So... since it didn't pop up until the 1300's... whatcha think of this "cloth that was the burial shroud of christ"?

Do you think it's real? Sham? Somewhere in between?

It has been known in the Orthodox Church as "The Shroud of Edessa" since the 500's. It was found in a box burried inside a wall at Edessa.

Are you familiar with the icon of Christ called "The Pantocrator"? It was the first icon of Christ as a "grown man" and it's image (head and shoulders) were taken from the shroud. The earliest one (icon) that still survives today is from the 700's, however it is a copy of much older works that are no longer with.

Upon close examination there are more that 700 points of detail between this icon and the shroud, including the flowers above his head to the left and right of the halo.
item1456_christsinaiicon.jpg

Now I would ask, if this is a fake shroud from the 1300's or 1400's how is it that an icon dated to the 700's and is known to be a copy of a much older work has more than 700 points of commonality?

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
then why would science and researchers not take this into consideration at all? (if it's so well established)

I'm supposing that they are looking for documented things outside just a church realm (hehehe, but that's just one of my guesses)

If it was known to the Orthodox church, why didn't they claim it and care for it instead of allowing the son of a Templar to sell it to the highest bidder as a show piece?

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I also find it interesting to see that the shroud is displayed in the Orthodox icons of "Good Friday" being laid upon Christ in the same was as the shroud would have had to laid on Christ if it is real. The icons far predate the controversial topic.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
then why would science and researchers not take this into consideration at all? (if it's so well established)

I'm supposing that they are looking for documented things outside just a church realm (hehehe, but that's just one of my guesses)

If it was known to the Orthodox church, why didn't they claim it and care for it instead of allowing the son of a Templar to sell it to the highest bidder as a show piece?

Me thinks you don't know our history very well. We were sacked and pillaged. Everything was taken. We are still to this day, getting things back.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm just giving you a hard time. (Because I know you'll argue with me)

I know less about the shroud than I do about physics (and that's very little) hehehe

I would however, prefer documentation and more indepth information than just short commentary if you're going to assert something as fact Orth :)

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, I looked up the Edessa thing, from what I understand it only mentioned the face and not the whole body... ???

Correct... The 700 points (of measurment) I mentioned was done by a scientist using lasers. I don't know how to ignore that.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm just giving you a hard time. (Because I know you'll argue with me)

I know less about the shroud than I do about physics (and that's very little) hehehe

I would however, prefer documentation and more indepth information than just short commentary if you're going to assert something as fact Orth :)

I used to post long detailed posts... only to find that people will NOT read them... keep it short and simple.

I hope I'm not arguing too much or "just for the sake of arguing".

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
links would be better for me (that way I can bookmark and peruse in my own time)

yes, I am one of those ignore the long post offenders, but I tend to actually read linked articles because I can verify those and take my time over a couple days/weeks

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
but that doesn't even exist anymore, how can you possibly link the two?

Only by written descriptions.

The trouble with attempting to give you links is... I did not learn these things from the Internet, but rather in class, so I don't have many things I can point you to. :sorry:

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.