Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We can suppose that Christians in the 1800s thought that when a woman's dress was high enough to expose her ankle, that it was a sign that she was following Satan in getting men to look at her. Today in 2012 we have the ultra low rise jeans. I think they look real chic. Probably the wave of the future like the higher hem-lined dresses became.

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think they look real chic.

I think they are skanky looking. To be graphic for a moment - any clothing that requires a pubic hair waxing prior to wearing shouldn't be worn in public.

Reactions: an oddity
Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think they are skanky looking. To be graphic for a moment - any clothing that requires a pubic hair waxing prior to wearing shouldn't be worn in public.
:amen:

And that's more information that I would want to know anyway!

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:amen:

And that's more information that I would want to know anyway!

My sister used to wear the original style low rise jeans in her early 20s. I couldn't go anywhere with her. She would make a huge production of squatting down or bending over and about six inches of plumber's rear would come popping out. I would be so embarrassed for her. Thank God she's a wife and mother now, so her clothing choices are a lot less scandalous. I can't fathom how anyone wears ultra low-rise pants. :o

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My sister used to wear the original style low rise jeans in her early 20s. I couldn't go anywhere with her. She would make a huge production of squatting down or bending over and about six inches of plumber's rear would come popping out. I would be so embarrassed for her. Thank God she's a wife and mother now, so her clothing choices are a lot less scandalous. I can't fathom how anyone wears ultra low-rise pants. :oi
My daughter tried to convince me, when she was in high school, to let her buy jeans like that. I told her sure, if she wouldn't be embarrassed to wear them to church, she could buy them. Never heard another word about low-rise jeans. :cool:

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My daughter tried to convince me, when she was in high school, to let her buy jeans like that. I told her sure, if she wouldn't be embarrassed to wear them to church, she could buy them. Never heard another word about low-rise jeans.

Clothing styles have changed over the years. Perhaps low-rise jeans will be considered proper dress for church someday. I don't recall ever seeing them in my church, but we are not formal at all--shorts are common for us in warm weather.

Untill WWI men were arrested for wearing bathing suits without tops on public beaches. Today woman in the US are still required to wear tops except in a few places (like NY state). I'm sure that will eventually change.

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Clothing styles have changed over the years. Perhaps low-rise jeans will be considered proper dress for church someday. I don't recall ever seeing them in my church, but we are not formal at all--shorts are common for us in warm weather.
Us too. That's still a long way from low-rise jeans and posterior crack showing. (Sorry, folks)

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Clothing styles have changed over the years. Perhaps low-rise jeans will be considered proper dress for church someday.

What society considers appropriate is a far cry from what the Bible considers appropriate. While we could argue the finer points of biblical dress standards, it's pretty clear that the Bible calls men and women to modesty and to not present a stumbling block for another believer. As Christians, we shouldn't be always asking, "how far is too far?" or "will society one day cease to be shocked when they see a woman's breasts through a sheer top?" or "will it someday be common to see a woman's cheeks peeking from underneath her shorts, because they are so short?"

We shouldn't be seeking to emulate the worldly standards of dress. While being fashionable, tasteful and tidy is fine, we shouldn't be looking to the fashion trends through the lens of, "has society embraced this particular style as decent?".

Bottom line - just because the world's standards shift doesn't mean a Christian's should.

Upvote 0
P

Publius

Unfortunately, modesty is an area where the Church has been influenced by the non-Christian culture around us, rather than influencing the culture.

I don't know of any church that teaches its members, particularly its girls, about modesty any more and I've seen "Christians" explode time after time on these boards and others at the mere suggestion that their clothing might be immodest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

an oddity

Mar 28, 2012
USA
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It isn't the Christians whose standards don't change, it is Gods.
Regardless of how we may explode, His truth is still the final word on the matter.
The world hates Christianity because we remind them there is only one way to God, and that is through His uniquely born Son. Even as they don't like us telling them that this is truth, they don't like being told they are less than perfect and need a Savior.
Unfortunately Christians seem to be doing the same.
Jesus Christ, our pattern, is a bit removed from us, time wise, and we don't have anyone willing to be the example for us today. This is a poor excuse as we should pattern our self after what we learn of Christ in the Bible, but we seem to have lost the inclination to do that. Loving the clothing of today is an example of this.
On another board there was a discussion on clothing and the fact that many men in the middle east wear slacks, but they wear a loose dress like garment oven them, and many women are still pretty much covered from head to toe. When we contrast that to the western clothing it is an embarrassment in comparison.

Upvote 0

gracechick

Senior Veteran
Nov 25, 2005
Looking Up:D
✟6,474.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Im so tired of seeing mostly women in and out of the church exposing every asset the good Lord gave them:doh:I know a woman that lets her teenage daughters run around in bikinis for the whole world to see. And eventhough she's older she runs around half dressed which makes for a very interesting summer. I was watching an informative show the other day and the dresses were so tight and so short that one women refused to do the exercises the trainer was teaching. And this is attractive? I must be old school or something as it looks sleezy and tacky imho.I dread the day my daughter wants to buy the clothes straight off the rack. It has taken me a years to find reasonably priced dresses that were not cut up to there and down to there for Church and other dressy occassions.
Even if I wasn't concerned about keeping my dress modest I would still destest the styles they keep churning out even for young girls:o They are not comfortable, ride up and do nothing but advertise the goods period. And the point of dressing up a little girl to look like a "hello Im here 20 yearold" is what??? But granted it is the men's responsibility to be aware of what causes them issues and take it to the Lord. It is far from only a woman's matter. End of rant:p

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In WP forum it was said that I'm the one with the problem when I asked about immodest dress/improper attire in church. Seems that 'Temptation' is my problem, not the women being provocative inside church.
:o

That's the same inspiration Islam has for forcing women to wear carpets for trips outside the home!

Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

Well, it certainly was a surprise to me, guess I better work on fighting off temptations of lust for the flesh, or wear a blindfold.

blindfolded-buddy-icon.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In WP forum it was said that I'm the one with the problem when I asked about immodest dress/improper attire in church. Seems that 'Temptation' is my problem, not the women being provocative inside church.

So, it isn't immodest attire at question, it is what's in your heart that causes you to question someones dress. (so I understand) go figure

Women need to be more mindful that God wired men differently and help their brothers in Christ maintain purity in their hearts. I'm not saying women need to wear burqas to church, but when women are exposing parts of their body that they know good and well men find alluring (cleavage, their backs, upper thigh, midriff area, etc.) they are an equal participant in that man taking notice. Why would they dress like that if it weren't to get attention from the opposite sex?

Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

Women need to be more mindful that God wired men differently and help their brothers in Christ maintain purity in their hearts. I'm not saying women need to wear burqas to church, but when women are exposing parts of their body that they know good and well men find alluring (cleavage, their backs, upper thigh, midriff area, etc.) they are an equal participant in that man taking notice. Why would they dress like that if it weren't to get attention from the opposite sex?
Good points, I wonder why myself. I agree, no need for the extreme. I was going to say just wear what one wears to work, but that may not be a good idea either.

Upvote 0