Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i know lots of people on food asst and majority of their food comes from churches while the government cuts assistance or does nothing. its hard understanding what taxes go to these days, war, subsidies for big biz, wall street bailouts.

The government (we taxpayers) fund most of the food assistance programs. The SNAP budget for 2016 was $73Billion, feeding over 40 million people. This for just one Federal program.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jaybird88

Jan 6, 2015
✟42,893.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The government (we taxpayers) fund most of the food assistance programs. The SNAP budget for 2016 was $73Billion, feeding over 40 million people. This for just one Federal program.

pretty sure more than 100 billion goes to corporate welfare each year and if thats not bad enough, the working folks have to make up the tax difference the government loses through these rich elites offshore tax shelters. i guess it could be worse, in the roman empire the rich paid no tax at all. now we know why the US is refereed to as the new rome.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
pretty sure more than 100 billion goes to corporate welfare each year and if thats not bad enough, the working folks have to make up the tax difference the government loses through these rich elites offshore tax shelters. i guess it could be worse, in the roman empire the rich paid no tax at all. now we know why the US is refereed to as the new rome.

The point is that there is plenty of quality food for everyone whether you buy it or it's free. Regarding the starving in Africa recall an old English planting rhyme;

"One for the buzzard, one for the crow, one to rot, and one to grow."

Africans having so many children is their insurance/hope that at least some will survive the harsh environment and living conditions they have faced for millennia. That some don't survive is natural and predictable in that part of the world. To save them all is to ensure greater human misery in the future as their populations increase far beyond the capacity of the land to support them. Their only hope is to come into the modern age a little, and have fewer children.

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Naturally improved standard of living and education will cause people to have less children. So I don't think it's a reason not to help much as possible. Just not help in vain for example giving them food, but nothing else to address the underlying cause of their starvation.

As for us, I think we need to step back before we go forward. Stop subsidizing unhealthy choices by public spending, and promoting unhealthy choices by public policy. Give people an opportunity and exposure to healthier choices, before other more demanding options. Even then I fear unintended consequences of micromanagement, infringing people's right to make decisions in their lives (life, liberty, pursuit of happiness) or pushing them underground to get what they want (black market).

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Naturally improved standard of living and education will cause people to have less children. So I don't think it's a reason not to help much as possible. Just not help in vain for example giving them food, but nothing else to address the underlying cause of their starvation.

As for us, I think we need to step back before we go forward. Stop subsidizing unhealthy choices by public spending, and promoting unhealthy choices by public policy. Give people an opportunity and exposure to healthier choices, before other more demanding options. Even then I fear unintended consequences of micromanagement, infringing people's right to make decisions in their lives (life, liberty, pursuit of happiness) or pushing them underground to get what they want (black market).

Wisdom cries in the streets (Proverbs 1:20).....but few are listening.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If I eat less, it doesn't mean some starving kid on the other side of the world eats more. It just means that food I would have eaten gets thrown in the trash. And that don't help nobody.

So no. The Fed should stay the heck out of my kitchen.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If I eat less, it doesn't mean some starving kid on the other side of the world eats more. It just means that food I would have eaten gets thrown in the trash. And that don't help nobody.

So no. The Fed should stay the heck out of my kitchen.

The Fed should publish unified (and factual) information about diet and health.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
US military budget can feed all the starving people in the world but WHO ON USA WOULD CARE ?

Money is not the only problem. Would you have us kill every
rogue world leader and destroy every army and pirate that
steals from their own citizens? You cannot force people to
rise up against their warlords and kings who oppress them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0