Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
we shouldn't ration food in the usa?

poverty.jpg

Mary's Meals USA

starving-children-africa.jpg
Very good question, and a very sobering topic. Just looking at these pictures you've posted brings the reality many face every day to our attention. I feel like we are so far removed from this in the USA and Canada that we sometimes forget how blessed we are.

The amount of food wasted in the USA alone is scary, this article suggests up to 50% of produce is thrown away (Why Americans Lead the World in Food Waste). Hopefully something is done to stop this wastefulness. This is definitely a complex issue with many sides. While rationing may not be necessary, I think food waste should be cut down, excess food should be donated instead of thrown away. I recently watched a documentary (the title has slipped my mind), where a couple gets all their food for a month from dumpsters; the sad thing is, they ate quite well because everything was packaged and thrown away for arbitrary reasons. Perhaps if the waste continues something we will get ourselves into a mess that would require something like rationing in the future.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Americans have generally been resistant to the government micromanaging their diets -- see, for example, the resistance to Michelle Obama's push for healthy school lunches and to Philadelphia's tax on sugar-sweetened drinks -- so rationing would be a politically difficult proposal in the U.S.

I agree that we should be walking more and driving less, eating more fruits and vegetables and fewer burgers and fries, but it's not currently clear to me what government actions would help this cultural change. Possibly financial policies that make burgers much more expensive than apples? I don't have a good answer at the moment, given our cultural values of individual independence, along with the prevalence of sedentary jobs in our economy.

Upvote 0

Gluttonous Winebibber

May 7, 2017
Sterling Heights
✟22,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What you are seeing is the difference between a slightly enlightened society and one that has been in the dark ages for thousands of years, by their own doing. I wonder why this has transpired....one might ask this question to themselves in a normal scenario, but since you are on a christian forum I thought this answer was just obvious. We trusted God more than they did. To answer your question...no we won't ration our food, because we aren't dumb enough that we need to. But hey, charity is all about giving to others, just don't go assuming that you deserve that charity, because that's just a lie. You get out of life what you make of it. This kind of pretentious attitude makes me sick, and is the forefront of most retarded racist debates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Golfing Gator

Sep 28, 2017
Midwest of America
✟13,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, the government should not be in the business of rationing food unless there is a national emergency like during WWII.

Hunger is a problem the church should be addressing, not the government. It is a place that we as a body have failed. There is an amazing book out there called "The hole in our gospel" which shows how we have failed to take care of the poor and needy like we were commanded to do by Jesus.

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟325,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No. I am not fat and neither is my family. There are hundreds of charities out there who feed the starving and I support several.

Here in the USA, we have choices. I choose to grow a garden and preserve stuff and eat healthy. Countries with bad governments who let people starve to where we have to come in and help should be held accountable.

Food rationing is not an option here.

What would be an option here according to your pics would be thus:

1. Seek medical attention. Could be thyroid or other conditions.

2. If not a medical condition, seek a nutrition therapist.

3. If not the former, get active and put down the fork and enact some self-discipline.

But I will be darned if anyone is going to take from my garden that I work so hard with and ration it out.

Hold other countries' governments accountable and give to charities which help feed them.

All good things
Emmy

• Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

jaybird88

Jan 6, 2015
✟42,893.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
there is more than enough fertile land in Africa to feed the people there 10x over. the problem is the land is owned by non African people and they would much rather see the people die. same thing that happened in Ireland and India. Brazil is a top five agri producer with a top five starvation rate.

Upvote 0

jaybird88

Jan 6, 2015
✟42,893.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, the government should not be in the business of rationing food unless there is a national emergency like during WWII.

Hunger is a problem the church should be addressing, not the government. It is a place that we as a body have failed. There is an amazing book out there called "The hole in our gospel" which shows how we have failed to take care of the poor and needy like we were commanded to do by Jesus.
i know lots of people on food asst and majority of their food comes from churches while the government cuts assistance or does nothing. its hard understanding what taxes go to these days, war, subsidies for big biz, wall street bailouts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
there is more than enough fertile land in Africa to feed the people there 10x over. the problem is the land is owned by non African people and they would much rather see the people die. same thing that happened in Ireland and India. Brazil is a top five agri producer with a top five starvation rate.

Yes. It is not an issue that the world does not produce enough food, but that greed is causing so much starvation and strange shiftings in food and medical treatment worldwide. We waste so much here, but food definitely shouldn't be rationed - it wouldn't make any difference to those starving in other countries.

Reactions: jaybird88
Upvote 0

jaybird88

Jan 6, 2015
✟42,893.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes. It is not an issue that the world does not produce enough food, but that greed is causing so much starvation and strange shiftings in food and medical treatment worldwide. We waste so much here, but food definitely shouldn't be rationed - it wouldn't make any difference to those starving in other countries.

you think its just greed that causes all the problems? maybe in some cases but IMO many of these giant food companies have more money than they will ever be able to spend in 100s of lifetimes, they are smart and they know that, i think its more, i think its a dark agenda. i read that GMO food is the answer to many of these problems, makes food more abundant, but this modified food is different than the Lord-created food so i dont trust it. i also read that many of the vitamins and nutrients are absent in the modified food. i dont believe in altering the Lords creation, its like mankind saying i can do better and we can not.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
you think its just greed that causes all the problems? maybe in some cases but IMO many of these giant food companies have more money than they will ever be able to spend in 100s of lifetimes, they are smart and they know that, i think its more, i think its a dark agenda. i read that GMO food is the answer to many of these problems, makes food more abundant, but this modified food is different than the Lord-created food so i dont trust it. i also read that many of the vitamins and nutrients are absent in the modified food. i dont believe in altering the Lords creation, its like mankind saying i can do better and we can not.

Interesting theory. I think ultimately the bottom line and dollar is what has driven a lot of the modified food, which you're right is not better for us. We'll keep seeing increased cancers and diseases as a result I think, as well as the continued dwindling supply of insects.

Reactions: jaybird88
Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not comfortable with the idea of having the government micromanage out daily lives. But I there are policies the government could do or change. What little I understand is unhealthy foods are promoted by public policies. Subsidizing directly/indirectly certain foods and low standards for quality/health. Not sure if that'll ever change when it's the same government that says pizza is a vegetable (I think in schools for students *raises eyebrow*).

Ultimately people must decide themselves to change. Demand higher quality and healthier food to be supplied at affordable prices. But it would require generally higher standards for regulations from the government and people making the choices to live healthy; if there's to be a societal change that's broad enough to make a difference.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Well, OP, your thread is an important one. However, having heard the stories from parents and grandparents of what it was like during the Great Depression, when rationing was in effect, I do not believe that such is the answer. Rather, we should implement a significant federal tax on foods and drinks that are a part of the obesity problem that is increasing at an alarming rate. We can use the funds from said tax to reduce the Federal Deficit and to help pay for Medicare and Medicaid, both of which are not at all on very stable financial ground for the future.

Upvote 0