Should wrongly convicted be compensated for time behind bars ?

Should wrongly convicted receive compensation ?

• Yes, compensate them

• Yes, but only if they have no prior record

• No, dont compensate

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What do you mean? I'll get free food, housing, TV, Internet, and all the books I can read! Meanwhile, every year I'm in there, I can expect $50,000 bucks while my lawyer works on proving my innocence! Sure, I'll have to pay him some of that money... and if I wind up in a high security prison, I'll probably have to join a gang and kill a few people, but it still sounds like easy money to me.

For what prison does to one physically and how it twists the soul, it sure isn't worth any "perks" to go there. The negatives outweigh the perks big time.
Take care....

Upvote 0
E

Enkil

For what prison does to one physically and how it twists the soul, it sure isn't worth any "perks" to go there. The negatives outweigh the perks big time.
Take care....

I was only joking, but now that I think about it, probably a very negative, soul-wrenching experience would increase the faith ultimately. To go through a testing fire would be very purifying. (I wouldn't want to do it on purpose though!! Unless it was for 100,000 a year... then, maybe.) Suffering isn't always a bad thing.

Reactions: CruciFixed
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
okay, just watching where this guy spent over 25 years in prison in FL for a crime he did not commit

now in FL the law says that you get 50k a year for every year you spend in prison allowing this guy 1.3 million dollars- 25 such states allow for compensation

here is the funny thing though, this guy had a prior felony for possession of a pill and under FL law he will not receive a dime

Yes of course he should be compensated. He spent 25 years of his life in prison for something he didn't do. That's a big chunk of life and imagine how much he missed out on - possibly his children growing up and crying for him, a wife, his parents likely dying while he was behind bars and grieving over him, the chance to build a future for himself, work, make friends, do any number of things.

If the person has a previous record, who cares?? With the way this country is going most will have a record someday, it's easy to be arrested over ridiculous stuff. What he was arrested for before has nothing to do with the crime commited by someone who got away, a crime he served and gave up his life for - when he shouldn't have had to and the system made a mistake.

Compensating him will at least give him the money he lost during 25 years - for a home, future retirement (it's not his fault, after all, he couldn't save for those things - he was in prison when he wasn't supposed to be!!)

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Such as a woman who deliberately cries rape and the man is innocent. She should serve the sentence that was given to the innocent guy. I stress deliberate and there are those who deliberately lie.

i think at the very very least a woman who does that should have to register as a sex offender for the rest of her life and wherever she lives community bulletins should be posted warning the community about her

Upvote 0

SemperFidelis

Mean, angry Traditionalist
Jul 30, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟9,082.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
i dont think they should be compensated

they were either found guilty by judge or jury or pled guilty, also it does not take into account the cost of food, clothing, or shelter provided by the state

also, i can see why prior felonys should be a concern, what if an admitted rapist who had priors is wrongly convicted of a rape he did not commit and receives hundreds of thousands of dollars from the state ?

that would be a slap in the face to the rape victims

I'm guessing you'd feel differently after 25 years behind bars for something you didn't do.

As for the priors, it should have no bearing on it. If you are imrisoned for a crime you didn't commit, an injustice has been done and needs to be rectified. What you may have done previously is irrelevant.

And as far as clothing, shelter etc. goes, come on - it is something forced onto the wrongly convicted person that they never wanted. Making them pay for something they never asked for and had forced on them as part of their unjust punishment is just silly.

Blessings,
:crossrc:
Steve

Reactions: Antigone
Upvote 0

CruciFixed

Nov 17, 2008
Akron, Ohio
✟6,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I dont think it should be provided by the state. I think the compensation should be provided by the judge, prosecutor, and anyone else who got the falsely accused behind bars....that includes false witnesses. If the state provides then the judge, prosecutor, false witnesses, etc get off scot-free....
I agree about a woman who lies about a man being a rapist. She should have to register as a sex offender.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Dec 29, 2004
Kentucky
✟1,343.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I dont think it should be provided by the state. I think the compensation should be provided by the judge, prosecutor, and anyone else who got the falsely accused behind bars....that includes false witnesses. If the state provides then the judge, prosecutor, false witnesses, etc get off scot-free....
All of those people except false witnesses are representatives of the state.

Upvote 0

CruciFixed

Nov 17, 2008
Akron, Ohio
✟6,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I mean out of their salary that they already have to receive anyway or out of their assets not let them walk off scot free...

The person loses their whole lives to imprisonment....the least they are owed is compensation.....maybe 50k is extravagant but taking into consideration that 25 years means that you've lost valuable time with family, some family has already passed away in your absence....if you had a kid when you left that kid has kids...etc so much time is lost. of course to us it sounds unfair to some but....then false imprisonment is unfair too........a lot more unfair than someone getting more money than you have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0