✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Deuteronomy 22:5
"A woman shall not wear man's clothing, nor shall a man put on a woman's clothing; for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD your God.“

I don’t know. This was in the olden days and they’re were minor differences between woman and men’s attire.
But that was with the Law.
This is somewhat of a continuation of my last post Should women cover their hair?

anyways, is it alright? Or is it a situation like this: if it’s made for women, it’s okay. If it’s made for men, it’s not okay. And vise Versa. P.S. I’m wearing pants while writing this....

Reactions: CullmannB

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wear pants: either jeans (NYDJ type) or slacks, the occasional capri if im out in the yard come summer, and all usually with a blouse, nothing too tight however, and nothing that is immodest (which as a former Muslim convert to Christianity probably is more modest than some Christians wear... although I don't stand out as a nun or something)

I wear dresses at church, although in church, while a new practice for me, I am covering my head with a scarf in the Christian manner (which is a noticeably difference in style than how Muslims wear hijab) and I have also lately been covering with a scarf for prayer or while reading scripture.

I did not do those things in the beginning, as I'm learning freedom in Christ and working my way through both being a Christian in the public eye, and trying to figure out what exactly is Godly modesty and what does it look like.

I've been to a church where all the women were basically wearing matching potato sacks (an illustration and not a fact) and I'm not going to that degree of extreme legalism. There is freedom in Christ, we aren't ordered to dress x way like in Islam, it's just more a matter of figuring out what Godly modesty looks like exactly... and what is right.

I might not be the perfect example as I'm still working through it all myself being saved these last 6 years almost, but a good topic and a good thread. I'm looking forward to seeing the responses here myself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"A woman shall not wear man's clothing, nor shall a man put on a woman's clothing; for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD your God.“

I don’t know. This was in the olden days and they’re were minor differences between woman and men’s attire.
This is somewhat of a continuation of my last post Should women cover their hair?

anyways, is it alright? Or is it a situation like this: if it’s made for women, it’s okay. If it’s made for men, it’s not okay. And vise Versa. P.S. I’m wearing pants while writing this....
I love my girly pants. ;)

Upvote 0

CullmannB

May 8, 2020
Germany
✟7,851.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
As far as I know women should cover their hair/head in churches/congregations and dress modestly according to Paul.

Also, as it seems to me - that thing with the law of Moses - there were different Opinions in this regard (if gentiles should accept the whole law to become Christians or not) and Paul concluded that it's okay if they are only tought certain commandments (otherwise it would have been impossible to spread Christianity) that seem to resemble what Jews today call the 7 commanmends of Noah. Also, if I remember correctly, he said that there are/were enough people in every city that proclaim the law, so it wasn't necessary to teach it to the gentiles. Nonetheless it seems that Jesus forbade to teach that the law had been abolished.

I think it's great if men and women dress appropriately and modestly. If you are convinced that you have to dress a certain way, or cover your hair, go for it!

Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As far as I know women should cover their hair/head in churches/congregations and dress modestly according to Paul.

Also, as it seems to me - that thing with the law of Moses - there were different Opinions in this regard (if gentiles should accept the whole law to become Christians or not) and Paul concluded that it's okay if they are only tought certain commandments (otherwise it would have been impossible to spread Christianity) that seem to resemble what Jews today call the 7 commanmends of Noah. Also, if I remember correctly, he said that there are/were enough people in every city that proclaim the law, so it wasn't necessary to teach it to the gentiles. Nonetheless it seems that Jesus forbade to teach that the law had been abolished.

I think it's great if men and women dress appropriately and modestly. If you are convinced that you have to dress a certain way, or cover your hair, go for it!
Thanks! I wear pants way more than dresses (although dresses and skirts are my fave!) but I didn’t think it effected anything. God Bless!

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

My opinion, I believe this verse prohibits cross dressing; it does not outright forbid women from wearing slacks. After all, would you want to wear a dress while gardening?

Upvote 0

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Didn't men wear 'dresses' in Scotland and other parts.
A lot of cultural molding behind that...heck I'd never be caught dead in a dress lol.
Lol yup. And Greeks too. But it was manly for the time period. X3

• Agree
Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

TLSITD

Conservative Christian
Apr 26, 2020
Tennessee
✟22,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

My belief about this scripture is that it is specifically addressing cross-dressing (transvestism), which is what is an abomination to God, just as homosexuality is.

God wants men to look and behave like men and women to look and behave like women, as He created them to. This is reiterated throughout Scripture, from the OT to the New; from God's condemnation of cross-dressing, to His condemnation of men and women exchanging natural sexual relations with the opposite sex for unnatural relations with the same sex, to His disapproval of men wearing long hair and of women cutting their hair short.

I don't believe it's necessarily a sin for a woman to wear pants, if they're feminine and modest. In some countries the traditional dress of women includes trousers of some kind. In other countries, the traditional dress for men is a skirt.

So I don't think it's a particular kind of garment that God is concerned with, but rather with a man or a woman intentionally dressing like the opposite gender.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I wear pants: either jeans (NYDJ type) or slacks, the occasional capri if im out in the yard come summer, and all usually with a blouse, nothing too tight however, and nothing that is immodest (which as a former Muslim convert to Christianity probably is more modest than some Christians wear... although I don't stand out as a nun or something)

I wear dresses at church, although in church, while a new practice for me, I am covering my head with a scarf in the Christian manner (which is a noticeably difference in style than how Muslims wear hijab) and I have also lately been covering with a scarf for prayer or while reading scripture.

I did not do those things in the beginning, as I'm learning freedom in Christ and working my way through both being a Christian in the public eye, and trying to figure out what exactly is Godly modesty and what does it look like.

I've been to a church where all the women were basically wearing matching potato sacks (an illustration and not a fact) and I'm not going to that degree of extreme legalism. There is freedom in Christ, we aren't ordered to dress x way like in Islam, it's just more a matter of figuring out what Godly modesty looks like exactly... and what is right.

I might not be the perfect example as I'm still working through it all myself being saved these last 6 years almost, but a good topic and a good thread. I'm looking forward to seeing the responses here myself.
That’s great! I am going to start covering my hair, even if it’s just a headband it’s still something. I too love to hear what my sisters/brothers have to say. Nice to hear you working on your obedience in Christ for 6 years! I’ve been a Christian and working on my Faith since late 2017.

Upvote 0

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My belief about this scripture is that it is specifically addressing cross-dressing (transvestism), which is what is an abomination to God, just as homosexuality is.

God wants men to look and behave like men and women to look and behave like women, as He created them to. This is reiterated throughout Scripture, from the OT to the New; from God's condemnation of cross-dressing, to His condemnation of men and women exchanging natural sexual relations with the opposite sex other for unnatural relations with the same sex, to His disapproval of men wearing long hair and of women cutting their hair short.

I don't believe it's necessarily a sin for a woman to wear pants, if they're feminine and modest. In some countries the traditional dress of women includes trousers of some kind. In other countries, the traditional dress for men is a skirt.

So I don't think it's a particular kind of garment that God is concerned with, but rather with a man or a woman intentionally dressing like the opposite gender.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

There is a wide range of interpretations on this passage. Most people would agree that women's pants are not "men's clothing."

Indeed, for all kinds of reasons, men should not be wearing women's pants.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

If I were to wear some of the pants that ultra-traditionalists preach against women wearing, people would be questioning my gender identity. Women's pants are fine for women to wear.

• Agree
Reactions: WDSobieski
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

There's nothing inherently masculine about trousers.

What I usually suggest when I see some men claim women can't wear pants is that they go ahead and visit the woman's department and try on women's pants and then report about how manly they feel. So far, no takers on that, can't imagine why.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There is a wide range of interpretations on this passage. Most people would agree that women's pants are not "men's clothing."

Indeed, for all kinds of reasons, men should not be wearing women's pants.

Mostly the lack of pockets.
I jest of course.

But seriously, the whole fake pockets on women's trousers thing is really bizarre.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
i3i514axc9g21.jpg

Priorities... do we expect women to achieve in life, or be decorative?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mostly the lack of pockets.

That was in fact one of several reasons I had in mind. Plus the fact that women's clothing is designed to fit the female body. Plus other reasons.

View attachment 276511

Priorities... do we expect women to achieve in life, or be decorative?

Dorothy Sayers has an interesting essay (“Are Women Human?”) discussing pants (which it makes sense for a woman to adopt, for a number of practical reasons) and braces (which it doesn't).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dorothy Sayers has an interesting essay (“Are Women Human?”) discussing pants (which it makes sense for a woman to adopt, for a number of practical reasons) and braces (which it doesn't).

Let us take this terrible business--so distressing to the minds of bishops--of the women who go about in trousers. We are asked: "Why do you want to go about in trousers? They are extremely unbecoming to most of you. You only do it to copy the men." To this we may very properly reply: "It is true that they are unbecoming. Even on men they are remarkably unattractive. But, as you men have discovered for yourselves, they are comfortable, they do not get in the way of one's activities like skirts and they protect the wearer from draughts about the ankles. As a human being, I like comfort and dislike draughts. If the trousers do not attract you, so much the worse; for the moment I do not want to attract you. I want to enjoy myself as a human being; and why not? As for copying you, certainly you thought of trousers first and to that extent we must copy you. But we are not such abandoned copy-cats as to attach these useful garments to our bodies with braces. There we draw the line. These machines of leather and elastic are unnecessary and unsuited to the female form. They are, moreover, hideous beyond description."

She continues to develop the theme of things that are appropriate to anthropoi (human beings) in general, such as comfortable practical clothing, and things that are appropriate to andres (men) and gunaikes (women) specifically.

Upvote 0