Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
According to Miranda Kerr: Women "Need to Make a Little Effort" When It Comes to Pleasing Their Men

"My grandma taught me that men are visual and you need to make a little effort," the model said in an interview with The Edit. "So when [Evan] comes home, I make sure to have a nice dress on and the candles lit. We make time to have a nice dinner together." (read the full article on Harpar's Bazaar.)

For the purposes of discussion:

Do you agree? Why or Why not? And what constitutes "a little effort?" Who defines it?
I think both spouses need to make a little effort to please each other, and what that involves will vary between individuals. As they are to love each other, the decisions involved should be mutually agreed upon, and the goal of each should be to please each other in order to have a harmonious relationship.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What Paisios said. Both spouses should make little efforts to please the other. Generally that means doing things the other would want, that aren't offensive to the doer of course.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,476.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What Paisios said.

Both women and men need to make an effort to love one another. What that looks like for each couple will be different. Somehow in my marriage it seems to more often mean that I do the washing, than that I focus on looking pretty, but that might just be me... (And then again, I've been sick the last few days, and my beloved - who hates soup - cooked soup for dinner so I could have something I could eat. That's "a little effort" for him, on that day).

And it will be different at different stages of life! "A little effort" with a new born might mean "I brushed my teeth today." ^_^

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
According to Miranda Kerr: Women "Need to Make a Little Effort" When It Comes to Pleasing Their Men

"My grandma taught me that men are visual and you need to make a little effort," the model said in an interview with The Edit. "So when [Evan] comes home, I make sure to have a nice dress on and the candles lit. We make time to have a nice dinner together." (read the full article on Harpar's Bazaar.)

Do you agree? Why or Why not? And what constitutes "a little effort?" Who defines it?

My comments are limited to marriage relationships. That said...

Why not? Shouldn't men make a little effort to please their women? Shouldn't we all set aside our own interests and be concerned with the interests of others? (Philippians 2:3-4)

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Give and take. Each of you will be in the mood to be romantic or giving. Each of you will be in a bad mood. Each of you will simply be tired and not wanting to make a big effort.

Find your relationship yin and yang and make it work.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't see anybody talk about keeping score or reciprocity. I would not agree with that either. That would not be doing something to please your spouse but instead doing something so you could get in return.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I make an effort to please my partner because I enjoy doing so. I like contributing to his comfort and well-being. And it nurtures my femininity and loveliness in positive ways.

Where I differ is on the subject of reciprocity. I don't like the notion of keeping score. I prefer natural expressions that are mutually beneficial.

My behavior hails from a place of respect and the admiration of the divinity that's before me. It's the recognition of his person through God's eyes that enables me to do more than I could on my own.
Keeping score is, in my opinion, counter productive to a healthy relationship, as it means that we are still focusing primarily on ourselves, trying to get what we can by doing something in return. The ideal would be to only focus on your loved one and the loved one only focus on you, but of course, we’re all only human, so we do have to pay some attention to our own needs as well.

I like your last two sentences if I understand them correctly.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Everyone should put in a little effort. Who defines that will be couple dependent, but in any relationship, you should be giving your partner a little of what they want/desire even if your not accustomed to it. I don't believe you should look at as a sacrifice as much as making an effort to show your appreciation by doing something they like.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you statements. What is your understanding of the sentences?
When you are talking about “admiration of the divinity that’s before me”, I understood that to mean that people are made in God’s image, and not that your partner is divine in himself.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The truly difficult thing to do is to love your spouse when you do not perceive that they're loving you. Jesus said that even sinner love those who love themselves. This kind of reciprocal love does not require any special grace from the Holy Spirit. What requires grace is to continue to love our spouses even when they are unable to love us or refuse to love us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Considering one of the main purposes for marriage, keeping up attraction certainly helps to that end.

I know a Pastor and his wife who adore each other. They can be watching TV and he says to her, 'that haircut would look great on you' and the next day, viola! She's sporting that do. It's a delight to see those grandparents still flirting with each other.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes I believe women should make an effort to be pleasing to their husband's just as I believe husband's should do the same. Love has a tendency to do what makes its beloved happy though.

I do think what that looks like can vary wildly though.

My husband has a preference for women who don't wear makeup so it definitely varies from relationship to relationship.. and person to person.

It's why I think marrying the right person for you is so key. My husband is perfect for me as I'm disabled. Another husband wouldn't work because there is a lot I can't do, so having one thrilled with what I can do is important.

And its like that in any relationship. A man who appreciates a women who does herself up, should marry a woman who enjoys dressing up.

Men are visual creatures, but that visual can have varying likes and dislikes so you should know what those are in order to satisfy your husband's visual needs.. same with women. Some women prefer sweaty muscles and others prefer the manicured nails in a three piece suit. Everyone is different.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟17,354.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

Nothing heartens and increases my joy than hearing grace and beauty proceeding from a godly woman's lips.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Make a strong effort to please others just as you'd like them to please you.
You even get to decide what that means. Not being selfish is built into it.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nothing heartens and increases my joy than hearing grace and beauty proceeding from a godly woman's lips.

I'll never forget a girl who listened intently.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.