Should women cover their head during prayer?

Do women have to cover their head during prayer?

• Yes (fully).

• Yes (partially).

• No.

• Don't know.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkNLovely

Dark am I, yet lovely.....Song of Songs 1:5
Jul 25, 2007
Where da party at!
✟18,913.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
so then, should women always wear a veil since as Christians we are to pray without ceasing?

That is the reasong of some, but it's important to understand that this is usually the line of reasoning for some who believe it is a sin for a woman to NOT cover at all times, which simply isn't Biblical. I have to stress that a Christian woman NEEDS NO OTHER REASON BUT THE ALREADY MENTIONED SCRIPTURE TO COVER AT ALL TIMES IF SHE WISHES. It has been a part of our faith since day one and STILL IS! Please feel free. :clap:

Upvote 0

DarkNLovely

Jul 25, 2007
Where da party at!
✟18,913.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, I didn't want to mention before, but many women in Romania cover their head almost like Muslim women. I think if foreigners would not know they are Christians, they would say they are Muslims. For example my granny, she used to cover her head and all the hair, all the time, not only for church. If I'll find some photos in the net I will post here some. :)

These are Christian sisters in Russia modeling for a modesty fashion show! This style is probably worn so boldly because there is less reason to be mistake for Muslim, plus if you see that vid I posted, her shirt is considered to be too tight by Islamic standards and so is this dress.

12pr.jpg
s23.jpg

Upvote 0

Beckyy25

Christian
Nov 9, 2008
Visit site
✟22,683.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
so then, should women always wear a veil since as Christians we are to pray without ceasing?

The question is rather if you do pray continually? If you do, the answer is yes. :)

I also agree with DarkNLonely, it's NOT a sin to not cover your head, this won't stop you from entering Heaven, but in my eyes it is a sign of respect, it shows that you are meticulous in following the Scripture, all of it. The minimum you have to do is given in the Scripture, you have to cover your head during prayer, so if you pray 1 minute per day, 1 hour or the whole day... you should cover your head during prayer.

You know, people always try to find excuses for not doing this or that.
Personally I think too much liberty is not good, it only leads you away from God and His commandments. You start taking things easily saying: "it's not a must to do this or that", "you don't need to take it literally", "it's not that important", "God is loving, He does not look at such minor issues", etc. But we should focus on the things we HAVE to do, and not on which ones to leave out.

Let me give you an example which fits in here.
Our elder at church said once to me the following: "If it was written in the Bible that I have to go to church on my hands, then (although now I'm not able to do that) I would practice as long as necessary, and one day I will go to church on my hands!"
He was trying to say that he'd so anything for achieving his goal: Eternal Life!

Also Paul said the same:

Philippians 3:11 (NKJV)
"if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead."

Upvote 0

Beckyy25

Christian
Nov 9, 2008
Visit site
✟22,683.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
These are Christian sisters in Russia modeling for a modesty fashion show! This style is probably worn so boldly because there is less reason to be mistake for Muslim, plus if you see that vid I posted, her shirt is considered to be too tight by Islamic standards and so is this dress.

12pr.jpg
s23.jpg

I can't see the pics you posted.

Upvote 0

Beckyy25

Christian
Nov 9, 2008
Visit site
✟22,683.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Here are some examples of how Romanian Christian women (not only Protestant but also Orthodox) cover their head. :)

Attachments

• head cover.jpg
    head cover.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 339
  • head cover (1).jpg
    head cover (1).jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 287
  • head cover (2).jpg
    head cover (2).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 334
  • head cover (3).jpg
    head cover (3).jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 196
  • head cover (4).jpg
    head cover (4).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2006
✟10,867.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your answer Beckyy25. I'm not trying to be snarky, this really is something that I have thought about from time to time, but have not received any conviction to go forward with covering. I suppose I'm thinking practically about it at the moment, and at this time I'm also learning a lot about prayer so tying the two together in my head...

Basically, do you think that a Christian should cover just in their specific prayer time and at church? Should they run and put it on if they need to spontaneously pray? Or just cover all the time as we work towards the goal of being continuously prayerful throughout our day?

I'm not trying to get out of doing it, truth be told I'd love to... but please know that there are significant, Godly reasons holding me back at this time.

Upvote 0

Beckyy25

Christian
Nov 9, 2008
Visit site
✟22,683.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your answer Beckyy25. I'm not trying to be snarky, this really is something that I have thought about from time to time, but have not received any conviction to go forward with covering. I suppose I'm thinking practically about it at the moment, and at this time I'm also learning a lot about prayer so tying the two together in my head...

I understand that. You know, at our church this issue is a big one, because most women do cover their head, but some do not, and some people really dislike it, so there is always tension because of that.

Basically, do you think that a Christian should cover just in their specific prayer time and at church? Should they run and put it on if they need to spontaneously pray? Or just cover all the time as we work towards the goal of being continuously prayerful throughout our day?

I've seen also Christian women who have a head cover with them, and whenever they pray, they cover their head. Others say they cover it all the time to make sure they are covered whenever they feel like they have to pray. And there are the ones (me included) who cover the head at church only.

I do not cover my head at home for some reasons:
1) My first language is Romanian as you've maybe seen from other posts. In my Romanian Bible the title of the OP passage is like this: "The woman's demeanor/attitude in congregation" (I'm not really sure which word to use, I hope you still do understrand what I mean here) So it talks about congregation, e.g. when other people are present. At home I'm alone or with family members only.
2) The OP passage says also that you should cover the head because of the angels and as a sign of authority (1 Corinthians 11:10) Until now I did not get any explanation what this means specifically, but as I understand at the momen, the 'sign or authority' refers to something visible for other people, e.g. if I have a head-covering, people at church will see I'm married e.g. have an authority (my husband). Honestly I do not know if I'm interpreting this is the correct way, that is also why I've started this thread.

I'm not trying to get out of doing it, truth be told I'd love to... but please know that there are significant, Godly reasons holding me back at this time.

I'm not condemning anyone for not covering the head. But for me, I think I should cover my head, as I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I sometimes did not cover it, and felt really bad, I felt it was wrong, so I prefer to cover it, because I feel good doing so. :)

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So are you saying I am going to be punished or lose rewards or blessing because I pray without my head covered? I have 2 scarves both the same that have an American flag design printed on them. I have a small pink scarf with little lavender flowers, a cute hat with butterflies, guess I could wear that stuff as head covering. Could it be my pride that keeps me from covering my hair, or that I believe it is not necessary? I think you need to take the Bible with a grain of salt.

What about your own conscience? Your own sense of freedom and independence. I have always tried to do what's right. I read the Bible and follow Christ.

But covering my head is too old fashion and out dated. Are you aware of what century it is? I don't want to get confused with a muslim. I know that my grandmothers, now in heaven wore hats to church back in the 1950's and 60's. My mom doesn't wear a head covering, we go to a very casual church, several people dress in jeans and even shorts, capris, there. My family tries to dress nice though, we were nice pants, formal pants, sometimes I wear a dress or skirt.

If God asked you to kill somebody would you do it? If a command in the bible does not make sense to you and seems stupid or wrong or unfair, should you still obey it? I feel like these passages in the new testament, the one about women's head covering and the one saying women can't be ministers or preachers are discrimmination.

Upvote 0

DarkNLovely

Jul 25, 2007
Where da party at!
✟18,913.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So are you saying I am going to be punished or lose rewards or blessing because I pray without my head covered? I have 2 scarves both the same that have an American flag design printed on them. I have a small pink scarf with little lavender flowers, a cute hat with butterflies, guess I could wear that stuff as head covering. Could it be my pride that keeps me from covering my hair, or that I believe it is not necessary? I think you need to take the Bible with a grain of salt.

What about your own conscience? Your own sense of freedom and independence. I have always tried to do what's right. I read the Bible and follow Christ.

But covering my head is too old fashion and out dated. Are you aware of what century it is? I don't want to get confused with a muslim. I know that my grandmothers, now in heaven wore hats to church back in the 1950's and 60's. My mom doesn't wear a head covering, we go to a very casual church, several people dress in jeans and even shorts, capris, there. My family tries to dress nice though, we were nice pants, formal pants, sometimes I wear a dress or skirt.

If God asked you to kill somebody would you do it? If a command in the bible does not make sense to you and seems stupid or wrong or unfair, should you still obey it? I feel like these passages in the new testament, the one about women's head covering and the one saying women can't be ministers or preachers are discrimmination.

:crosseo: Lord have mercy :crosseo:

Reactions: Beckyy25
Upvote 0

Beckyy25

Christian
Nov 9, 2008
Visit site
✟22,683.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So are you saying I am going to be punished or lose rewards or blessing because I pray without my head covered?
No I did not say this, because the Bible also does not say something like this.

Could it be my pride that keeps me from covering my hair, or that I believe it is not necessary?
Only you know the answer to this question. If you feel good not covering your head, then go on with doing that. For me I do feel bad when I do not cover my head.
You know, many non-Christians do always try to do what is right. I know dozens of such people. Christianity is not only about trying to do what is right, it is about obeying and doing everything necessary to achieve your goal: Eternal Life!

But covering my head is too old fashion and out dated.
The Bible is not old fashion and out-dated, it is still valid now as it was 2000 years ago!

Are you aware of what century it is?
Yes, actually we live in the 21st century. :)

I don't want to get confused with a muslim.
No one said you have to cover your head like a Muslim. Cover it another way, so no one would confuse you with a Muslim woman.
If God asked you to kill somebody would you do it?
You are getting off-topic here. But well, I can assure you that God would never ask me to kill anybody.

If a command in the bible does not make sense to you and seems stupid or wrong or unfair, should you still obey it?
Are you here referring to the 10 commandments? If yes, then I can tell you that these are great commandments, and I do everything possible to follow them, even the ones I do not like sometimes.

I feel like these passages in the new testament, the one about women's head covering and the one saying women can't be ministers or preachers are discrimmination.
I'm sorry you feel like this. You know, God in His infinite wisdom knows what is best for us. And I'm happy to do whatever He says! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkNLovely
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristianMama84

Hey, y'all!
Site Supporter
Feb 21, 2007
Northwest Alabama
✟31,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think women should cover because the Bible says so. I've seen so many say,
"Paul was addressing the culture of his day", well, that argument can be used in regards to women teaching men (which we know is wrong from 1 Corinthians).

Upvote 0

Beckyy25

Christian
Nov 9, 2008
Visit site
✟22,683.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think women should cover because the Bible says so. I've seen so many say,
"Paul was addressing the culture of his day", well, that argument can be used in regards to women teaching men (which we know is wrong from 1 Corinthians).

I agree with that, the teachings we find in the Bible are still valid nowadays! God's word does not change because God does not change! :amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IronManMatt

May 15, 2007
✟15,855.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But covering my head is too old fashion and out dated.

It’s just as old as the other laws in the bible. Do you disregard all of the commands given by God because their old? God and His ways are never out dated.

I don't want to get confused with a muslim.

That’s not a good reason to disobey God. Buddhists teach about peace, should you disregard God’s commands about peace so that you don’t get confused with a Buddhist?

If God asked you to kill somebody would you do it?

God has commanded people to kill other before. The nation of Israel was actually punished for not killing everyone they were commanded to kill.

If a command in the bible does not make sense to you and seems stupid or wrong or unfair, should you still obey it?

Yes. Us humans have a finite understanding. God’s wisdom is infinite and holy. Just because we don’t understand doesn’t mean we should obey.

Isaiah 56: 8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your way my ways, saith the Lord. 9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Reactions: DarkNLovely
Upvote 0

joshua41

Jun 25, 2007
the south
✟7,824.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This verse is very interesting. How can churches discard this part of the Bible while listening to the rest of what Paul says?

I do believe that Jesus still works today, regardless of whether or not women cover their heads. The reasons behind women's head coverings are almost inconceviable to the modern generation. It baffles me.

Yet, I think this issue is discarded because it is so minor compared to the other issues facing Christianity. I think the church should focus on these issues after we truly master the basics.

There is so much greater evil in this world--lust for money and women<=( I am guilty of), violence, infidelity, homosexuality (homosexuals in the church? what!?). Christians are constantly tempted, and many probably fall into sin like I do. This issue is like a leaf on Mount Everest, all things considered.

Those who have overcome this have enough faith to do the correct thing regarding this verse. I do not understand every verse in the Bible; yet, I can't deny this book's power.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Beckyy25

Christian
Nov 9, 2008
Visit site
✟22,683.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yet, I think this issue is discarded because it is so minor compared to the other issues facing Christianity. I think the church should focus on these issues after we truly master the basics.

Yes you are right, it is a minor issue, but I believe God wants to see our faith and obedience in the minor issues too, because only if you can be faithful in minor issues, you will be able to be faithful also in the major ones.

Matthew 25:23 (NIV)
"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.