Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Should Christian women cover their hair?
At least, on "bad hair" days...!
full

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Should Christian women cover their hair? In 1 Corinthians 11:2-16, it states that we should. Even if it’s just a thin headband it is still covering, so should we?
Tell me what you think.
I made this in another post as well.
Paul specifically wrote that his basis for requiring head coverings is the order of creation which is timeless and universal in scope. The head/skull of the man who is praying/prophesying requires that it be uncovered since his head reflects the image/glory of God (v.7). Therefore to cover his head would be to cover up the image and glory of God - which should always be paramount and made manifest. God's glory is never to be put under a cover. However, women are to cover their heads since the woman is the glory of man. When the church composed of men and women gather to pray and prophesy, God's glory is made manifest when the men leave their heads uncovered while the women do the opposite and cover their head since the woman reflects the glory of man (v.7). In the hierarchical scheme of creation, man's glory is always subordinate to God's glory when the church gathers to pray and prophesy. This also serves as a witness and reminder to the angels (v.10). For the woman however, her long hair is her glory (v.15). That is why she is to wear a head covering since her glory must be covered up. V.15 is a contentious verse as some interpret this verse as the basis for claiming that a woman's long hair is her covering. The verse reads:

"But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her, for her hair is given her for a covering."

The word "for" in this verse is from the Greek "anti' which means in exchange for or instead of, in place of. Thus I believe the verse should read:

"But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her, for her hair is given her instead of a covering."

Again, since long hair is a woman's glory, she is to wear a head covering to cover up her glory while praying/prophesying in the congregation. The man on the other hand, his head remains uncovered while praying/prophesying in the congregation since his head reflects the glory of God.

• Winner
Reactions: Danigt22
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
From a male point of view, one of the first things I notice about a woman, especially now that I'm widowed, is her hair. In fact, the first time I ever spoke to a woman after my wife's death, I commented on her hair. There are also certain hair styles that seem to be more sensually charged than others. And I realize that this is in no way the woman's fault. But if we are to guard our brothers and sisters from occasions of sin, I would say, especially in worship situations, it's not a bad idea. On the other hand, I can also say that women who cover their hair can still be seen as attractive.

Upvote 0

fm107

Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20
May 12, 2009
London, UK
✟60,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Should Christian women cover their hair? In 1 Corinthians 11:2-16, it states that we should. Even if it’s just a thin headband it is still covering, so should we?
Tell me what you think.

Yes absolutely, 1 Corinthians 11 clearly teaches sisters should cover their head in prayer.

I believe the idea behind the word is a veil. Something to cover the head properly, be it a veil, a scarf, a hat, etc. A headband fails to "cover," in fact it leaves much more exposed than it does "cover." Just as the figs leaves Adam and Even put on failed to do the job, a headband also fails to cover in the spirit of what is meant.

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Tell me what you think.
Paul specifically wrote that his basis for requiring head coverings is the order of creation which is timeless and universal in scope. The head/skull of the man who is praying/prophesying requires that it be uncovered since his head reflects the image/glory of God (v.7). Therefore to cover his head would be to cover up the image and glory of God - which should always be paramount and made manifest. God's glory is never to be put under a cover. However, women are to cover their heads since the woman is the glory of man. When the church composed of men and women gather to pray and prophesy, God's glory is made manifest when the men leave their heads uncovered while the women do the opposite and cover their head since the woman reflects the glory of man (v.7). In the hierarchical scheme of creation, man's glory is always subordinate to God's glory when the church gathers to pray and prophesy. This also serves as a witness and reminder to the angels (v.10). For the woman however, her long hair is her glory (v.15). That is why she is to wear a head covering since her glory must be covered up. V.15 is a contentious verse as some interpret this verse as the basis for claiming that a woman's long hair is her covering. The verse reads:

"But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her, for her hair is given her for a covering."

The word "for" in this verse is from the Greek "anti' which means in exchange for or instead of, in place of. Thus I believe the verse should read:

"But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her, for her hair is given her instead of a covering."

Again, since long hair is a woman's glory, she is to wear a head covering to cover up her glory while praying/prophesying in the congregation. The man on the other hand, his head remains uncovered while praying/prophesying in the congregation since his head reflects the glory of God.

This is what the Christian scholars have to say on the subject. The topic begins at the 7 minute after the initial chit chat between the person interviewing Dr. Michael Heiser.

Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes absolutely, 1 Corinthians 11 clearly teaches sisters should cover their head in prayer.

I believe the idea behind the word is a veil. Something to cover the head properly, be it a veil, a scarf, a hat, etc. A headband fails to "cover," in fact it leaves much more exposed than it does "cover." Just as the figs leaves Adam and Even put on failed to do the job, a headband also fails to cover in the spirit of what is meant.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Thank you, very useful. God’s Blessings!

• Friendly
Reactions: Oldmantook
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
From a male point of view, one of the first things I notice about a woman, especially now that I'm widowed, is her hair. In fact, the first time I ever spoke to a woman after my wife's death, I commented on her hair.

It makes more sense for you to avoid gazing upon their hair if it stimulates attraction or untoward thoughts. You can make a similar argument for clothing, heels, and other items.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It makes more sense for you to avoid gazing upon their hair if it stimulates attraction or untoward thoughts. You can make a similar argument for clothing, heels, and other items.

~Bella
Bella, I agree with you. But part of being a Christian is helping others to avoid sinning, too. I never spoke of attraction, myself, or untoward thoughts. I merely said that I once commented to a woman on her hair. And yes, you CAN make similar arguments for other items, which is why we're called to dress modestly.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Bella, I agree with you. But part of being a Christian is helping others to avoid sinning, too.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. It reminds me of the old commercial with the minute manager honking a horn to help the phone user avoid charges. That’s a never-ending task I couldn’t align with.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is what the Christian scholars have to say on the subject. The topic begins at the 7 minute after the initial chit chat between the person interviewing Dr. Michael Heiser.
Thanks for your contribution as I'm familiar with that argument as it came out several years ago. I reject it for a couple of reasons. The golden rule of hermeneutics can be summarized as, when the plain meaning of a passage makes common sense, seek no other sense. I gave my explanation as to why head coverings for the woman are necessary but not for the man which to me makes the most common sense. Heiser's explanation however unnecessarily complicates things where he brings up the explanation of sperm being stored in the hair. How crazy is that? The text itself gives the reason why which is the order of creation and how the glory of man/woman determines whether each gender covers their heads or not. Thus to me Heiser's opinion ignores the text and amounts to wild speculation. Secondly, we hold all of Paul's writings to be under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Since us modern day types know that sperm is not stored in hair follicles, then Paul was mistaken when Heiser claims that he was referring to sperm in the hair. Paul could not have been wrong as he wrote under the inspiration of the Spirit, thus Paul could not have been referring to sperm in the hair which is of course false.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Root of Jesse

Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. It reminds me of the old commercial with the minute manager honking a horn to help the phone user avoid charges. That’s a never-ending task I couldn’t align with.

~Bella
Well, it is Christian to take your fellow humans into consideration, right? That's what Jesus told us to do in the Sermon on the Mount. I'm not saying you have to put on a burlap sack and cover from head to toe, or wear a burqua. I guess the word I'm suggesting is 'discretion'. I'm not one of those who will hold up a cross and shout 'harlot' at someone. I always try to keep my thoughts elsewhere, but others may not be as successful as I am.

• Agree
Reactions: Thera
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I guess the word I'm suggesting is 'discretion'. I'm not one of those who will hold up a cross and shout 'harlot' at someone. I always try to keep my thoughts elsewhere, but others may not be as successful as I am.

If the Holy Spirit doesn’t direct me to do so. I won’t take it upon myself to become vigilant in that area. The mind is a tool. There are many beset by fears, phobias, and anxieties God never told them to worry about.

While I understand the challenges men have in our culture. I can’t move to the opposite extreme to offset what he encounters elsewhere. We have to bring ourselves under subjection and seek the spiritual fruits which strengthen self-control.

Anything can become an idol if we develop unwholesome fixations. Modesty is no different. It’s just another form of legalism.

~Bella

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟732,859.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tell me what you think.

This is not a general statement, about head coverings in society. But rather head covering while praying publicly in church. Below is my opinion on these matters.

1Co 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

In church women (according to scripture) should have a head covering if they speak publicly to show that they are in submission, a) to God, b) to the spiritual head of the woman the man. This is due to the statment:

1Ti 2:12-14 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

In spiritual, not natural matters, the woman is more open to spiritual deception (according to the bible). Thus as a protection, he made the man the spiritual head of the woman.

The woman is to wear the head covering while praying in church to remind the church of God's order in spiritual matters.

• Agree
Reactions: Olmhinlu
Upvote 0

a-lily-of-peace

Apr 21, 2020
Australia
✟28,113.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For most of history this was considered normal. Now it actually feels like a way to leave the world behind. I believe it’s a good thing, if done in the right spirit.

I think that if it feels better to wear a headband than to not wear anything, and you aren’t in a space where you feel ready to wear anything more, then let God judge your heart for wearing it and trust that if he asks more of you, it’s because he already made your heart ready.

Reactions: Thera
Upvote 0

Norbert L

Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Heiser's explanation however unnecessarily complicates things where he brings up the explanation of sperm being stored in the hair. How crazy is that?
Heiser is quoting from Hippocratic authors (~ the 17:17 minute mark on wards in the video) who make their ancient knowledge available to us by what they wrote down thousands of years ago. They during their time period believe that hair is hollow and contained reproductive fluid aka sperm. Nowadays I agree, we would see that as crazy with our increased knowledge. Which given what Daniel 12:4. says, also is a rather simple concept to comprehend.

The golden rule of hermeneutics can be summarized as, when the plain meaning of a passage makes common sense, seek no other sense.

In regards to how hermeneutics is exercised in determining the meaning of a biblical text, I'll cut and paste one of the many sites that explain its' rules. "The rule of HISTORICAL BACKGROUND: The interpreter must have some awareness of the life and society of the times in which the Scripture was written..."
Hermeneutics: the Eight Rules of Biblical Interpretation

Basically Heiser isn't ignoring hermeneutics by including this historical context, he is actually using these golden rules. When I consider the historical background that was present in that ancient Greco/Roman world, I should not be at all surprised.

Upvote 0