Seaside, CA
✟20,934.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It depends on the situation. In the same spirit as the funeral example, if a group of Christians had murdered a man in a lynch mob years ago and it came up in a conversation with the murdered man's grandson as a stumbling block for him accepting Christ, I might very well tell him how sorry I am that people who carried the title of Christian would do such a thing.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Should we apologize for groups that we have no control over? The Pope thinks we should

Of course I would do the same but I'm not speaking of that. I am speaking of apologizing wholesale for a group, as if we are responsible for the actions of past Christian groups.

That is a good question. My belief is that it is a different kind of apology. Think about it.

On the one hand, no, you should not apologise, because you did nothing wrong. When we say ‘apologise’, we are usually referring to repentance, regret for something we ourselves did. This is apologising, which does not apply here, because we ourselves have never done anything wrong. Responsibility is personal. We ought not to see ourselves as responsible for the actions of such groups.

On the other hand, though, we must not forget that they allegedly acted in the name of God — the same Triune God we believe in —, in the name of Christianity, in the name of the Church of Christ. Given that, today, we are the ones who represent Christianity here on Earth — as they did when they lived —, we ought to, in the same name, clarify that their actions were incorrect, and even add that they were false Christians who did not adhere to biblical teachings.

In the name of God, I believe we should apologise for the actions of those who acted wrongly, allegedly in the same name. It is not, however, an apology as though we ourselves had done something wrong, but rather that the name by which we live received a bad reputation after what was wrongly carried out allegedly by this name.

In other words, I think we should apologise — not in our name, as we usually do, but in the name of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yeh, but that's not what "they" are thinking. Just as with the current fads among Leftists, all white people are guilty of slavery 200 years ago and bask in the advantages they get from "White Privilege," even if they're living in a cardboard box under some bridge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't see a problem with expressing regret for the actions of some other person that might have a cultural or familial relationship with me, but I don't feel that I have to incriminate myself for those actions.

EX - I wish that my ancestors hadn't owned slaves, it is regretful that they fell into that way of thinking, but I personally have nothing to be sorry about.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It seems everything Christians ever did that ws bad esp to gay people seems what the Pope is saying. Apparently we are all responsible

There are different issues here, possibly. If the pope is saying that there were atrocities done to homosexual people because they were homosexual, that is an area of repentance and certainly would behoove the perpetrators of said incidents to seek forgiveness from whom they committed the atrocities against and/or the victim's families, etc.

However, i'm not clear on what the pope means exactly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are different issues here, possibly. If the pope is saying that there were atrocities done to homosexual people because they were homosexual, that is an area of repentance and certainly would behoove the perpetrators of said incidents to seek forgiveness from whom they committed the atrocities against and/or the victim's families, etc.

However, i'm not clear on what the pope means exactly.
As discussed in OBOB we need all to apologize to every gay person we come in contact with for what some Christians may have done, which I strongly disagree with. Of course that was one interpretation because the Pope made many incoherent statements so many have no idea what he said frankly but the interpretation that I mentioned became the default over there

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It seems to me that certian church leaders are far too involved in earthly concerns. It is a really positive thing to care for the marginalized members of society, but we seem to be neglecting their spiritual wounds.

Reactions: Mrs.PGL
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You may not have control over what the group did, but you do have control over joining the group or not. So if a church or organization did wrong, and you choose to be a member despite that, in some ways you are taking responsibility. Some groups do 97% good and 3% bad, some are heavier on the bad end.
On the bad side, if you join the KKK knowing their history, then run into someone that was harmed by the KKK, is it ok to say you have nothing to do with that?
If you join a church that has done mostly good, but are responsible for those few bad actions as well, and you are aware of that as a member, it seems you also can't say you have nothing to do with those bad actions.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
As discussed in OBOB we need all to apologize to every gay person we come in contact with for what some Christians may have done, which I strongly disagree with. Of course that was one interpretation because the Pope made many incoherent statements so many have no idea what he said frankly but the interpretation that I mentioned became the default over there

Again, clarity would be needed here.

Clarity in what exactly was done.

Crime? Injury? Murder? Burned at the stake? Fed to the lions? Put in a coliseum for the amusement of the masses while atrocities were done for entertainment? drawn and quartered? Put in a metal cage and burned alive? Was there a homosexual holocaust? Were they ripped apart and their body parts sold like products?

Of what does he speaketh?

Last edited:
Upvote 0