Should we value the gift of prophecy today as Paul and Moses did?

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is NOT what happened here.
Feel free to speak for yourself, please. I don't see why you'd presume to speak for me, Guojing, and all possible spectators both current and future.

• Winner
Reactions: Guojing
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Feel free to speak for yourself, please. I don't see why you'd presume to speak for me, Guojing, and all possible spectators both current and future.
I speak from insight and experience. All anyone has to do, if they are so inclined, is read through the 15+ pages, to see that I am right. Many times it is hard to see clearly that which you are closest to.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,036.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After about 20 pages of discussion with @JAL, what would you say are the main insights you've learnt? What are the main conclusions?

Also, has your position changed in the slightest after all the time and effort spent in this back-and-forth exchange? Do you think @JAL's position has changed in the slightest? Did anyone's position change in the slightest? Did anyone learn anything new? Did anyone get closer to the truth?

Ultimately, do you think long back-and-forth exchanges are worth it?

I cannot speak for JAL, but I have learnt plenty from this exchange. I have made various posts detailing that in this thread, that you can read if you want.

But on a personal level, our exchange regarding his elderly father who was "canceled" by his church friends, was the most meaningful to me.

Thanks JAL, I appreciate you sharing that. =)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

350015_0f282d4b538245f7d5ab333c90dad940.jpeg

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then feel free to respond to the actual questions, not to your "loaded" interpretation of them.
I already proved they were loaded. Prejudicially they challenged long exchanges for a problem equally symptomatic of short exchanges, namely unresolved disputes. That's objective fact, not my interpretation.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I already proved they were loaded. Prejudicially they challenged long exchanges for a problem equally symptomatic of short exchanges, namely unresolved disputes. That's objective fact, not my interpretation.
In his defense, TruthSeek3r has a very long and established history of asking exactly these types of questions without any prejudice attached. It's just what he does. I can see why you came to the conclusion you did, but in this case you are mistaken. It's just his nature.

• Agree
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In his defense, TruthSeek3r has a very long and established history of asking exactly these types of questions without any prejudice attached. It's just what he does. I can see why you came to the conclusion you did, but in this case you are mistaken. It's just his nature.
That would only constitute half the story. A question is loaded based on the content of the question, not necessarily on authorial intent/motive. Example:

"Have you stopped beating your wife?"

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That would only constitute half the story. A question is loaded based on the content of the question, not necessarily on authorial intent/motive. Example:

You are assuming motive in order to interpret the content. That is circular reasoning and does not proof of anything... even if you are right, which you are not in this case.

"Have you stopped beating your wife" is not the same as:
Also, has your position changed in the slightest after all the time and effort spent in this back-and-forth exchange? Do you think @JAL's position has changed in the slightest? Did anyone's position change in the slightest? Did anyone learn anything new? Did anyone get closer to the truth?
Ultimately, do you think long back-and-forth exchanges are worth it?
Everything mentioned in that quote that was not a question did in fact actually happen. There was a lengthy exchange, it's right here for all to see. This is not a random accusation like, "have you stopped beating your wife"

Again, I totally understand how you got there, but I'll say it again, I completely believe that Truthseek3r was altruistic in these questions. He sincerely wanted to know and was not implying anything. It's how he rolls. I have seen it many times, at first I doubted myself, but I no longer do.

Try reading it again without assuming negative motives and perhaps you might see it differently.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are assuming motive...Try reading it again without assuming negative motives and perhaps you might see it differently.
Wow. That's what I explicitly disavowed in my last post when I clearly stated that "loaded" is not a matter of authorial intent/motive.

Since your post was based on that false premise, the rest is ignored.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow. That's what I explicitly disavowed in my last post when I clearly stated that "loaded" is not a matter of authorial intent/motive.

Since your post was based on that false premise, the rest is ignored.
Again you misread and misunderstand. Regardless:

Truthseek3r has explicitly said that he had no ill intent
I have backed him up and said I believe he has no ill intent and has shown a pattern of behavior to support that.

It appears you refuse to accept this no matter what anyone says.

Your refusal to accept this and insist there was ill intent reflects far more negatively on you that it does him.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Again you misread and misunderstand. Regardless:

Truthseek3r has explicitly said that he had no ill intent
I have backed him up and said I believe he has no ill intent and has shown a pattern of behavior to support that.

It appears you refuse to accept this no matter what anyone says.

Your refusal to accept this and insist there was ill intent reflects far more negatively on you that it does him.
This is baffling. I see no evidence at all that you read what I wrote.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is baffling. I see no evidence at all that you read what I wrote.
Ok, I'm trying really hard to not be frustrated or single you out in a negative way or something, so please consider my intent here as such.

1) yeah, you said you disavowed the motive/content connection. I saw that. My observation is just because you disavowed it doesn't mean you didn't actually do it. I think you did without realizing you did, and I've said multiple times, I think it is very understandable in this situation.

2) I think Truthseek3r is a good, honest guy who asks a whole lot of questions... a whole lot. I've known a few people like him, so I get it. If I'm asking anything of you it would give him the benefit of the doubt. If you feel you have fine, but it really didn't seem that way to me, I could be wrong.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Can you explicitly quote individual questions I asked and show, for each one, what is loaded about them? Something along the lines of "you asked question X, which is clearly loaded because of reason Y".

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can you explicitly quote individual questions I asked and show, for each one, what is loaded about them? Something along the lines of "you asked question X, which is clearly loaded because of reason Y".
I was clear enough at 447. Aspersions were prejudicially cast on long exchanges. I've participated on several threads with you and never once have seen you ask the same questions about SHORT exchanges. Prove me wrong. Substituting the word "short" for "long" in your questions, on what percentage of your threads have you asked the following questions:

"Also, has your position changed in the slightest after [a short] exchange? Do you think [your] position has changed in the slightest? Did anyone's position change in the slightest? Did anyone learn anything new? Did anyone get closer to the truth? Ultimately, do you think [short] exchanges are worth it?"

Waiting.

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Guojing,

Sorry to beat a dead horse, and I'm not trying to harass you (I realize you are ready to move on) but I think, a moment ago, I (hopefully) learned something (maybe?) about hyperdispensationalism from this article:
WERE OLD TESTAMENT SAINTS REQUIRED TO HAVE WORKS FOR SALVATION? – Grace Gospel Press
I found this article because I was googling to find out how OT saints were saved in the hyper-D view since I was still foggy on this point despite my discussions with you, and a (short) discussion with my Dad.

The article is written by a dispensationalist and it begins by citing the dispensationalist Charles Ryrie to prove that dispensationalists, unlike hyper-Ds, ultimately held to faith-alone for both OT and NT saints. Ryrie stated:

"The basis of salvation in every age is the death of Christ: the requirement for salvation in every age is faith; the object of faith in every dispensation is God; the content of faith changes in the various dispensations" (Ryrie, Dispensationalism, pg. 115).

Thus the CONTENT of faith has changed (literally increased) due to a gradual unfolding of God's plan known as Progressive Revelation. (Personally I don't find this fact terribly relevant to debates about salvation, but maybe I'm wrong).

He then goes on to directly quote several hyper-D thinkers (Les Feldick, Cornelous Stam, Charles Baker, and Randy White). Those statements make it clear that faith-alone salvation began only with Paul, in their view. In other words:

1. Abel and Cain NEEDED animal sacrifice to be saved.
2. Noah NEEDED to build the ark to be saved
3. Abraham NEEDED circumcision
4. Israel NEEDED both animal sacrifice AND obedience to the law
5. In Acts 2 the God-fearing Jews NEEDED to obey Peter's command to get water-baptized

- Les Feldick is slightly unclear because he says that faith alone INITIALLY INDUCTED OT saints into the Kingdom of God (it allows you to MEET the Savior). However Feldick, like the other hyper-Ds, seems clear that faith-alone did NOT sustain a lasting, saving relationship with Him (at least not until the day of Paul).

One more comment on my Dad (who seems to view the Les Feldick DVDs night and day). The irony with my Dad is incredible. For 30 years, at least, he has verbally abused my Catholic Mom for "stupidly" believing in faith-plus-works! And he still does so today! Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was clear enough at 447.

At post 447 you said:

So what? I still didn't make any claims about long exchanges, I only asked questions.

You claimed that my questions are loaded based on their content, but you haven't provided any syntactic or semantic analysis of the questions showing that their content presupposes premises that are problematic.

For example, when I ask a question like "are long exchanges worth it?", the only assumed premise in that question is that long exchanges exist, but what is problematic about that? The worthiness of long exchanges, which is the object of the question, is not being neither affirmed nor denied in the question itself. Nothing in the question affirms or denies the worthiness or unworthiness of long exchanges. You can either answer "Yes, they are worth it because of reasons X, Y and Z" or "No, they are not worth it because of reasons X, Y and Z". It's that simple.

Another example, courtesy of yourself: "When did you stop beating your wife?". The assumption in this question is that you started beating your wife at some point in the past, which is obviously very problematic to assume if there is no evidence to even think that that is the case. None of my questions make assumptions like that. You can perfectly answer any of my questions without having to assume faulty premises in the process.

Aspersions were prejudicially cast on long exchanges.
Aspersions? Again, can you quote a single question I asked and show what "damaging" or "false" remarks I made? Just quote one question, and show in which part of it I make a false/damaging claim about long exchanges.

Waiting.

I've participated on several threads with you and never once have seen you ask the same questions about SHORT exchanges. Prove me wrong. Substituting the word "short" for "long" in your questions, on what percentage of your threads have you asked the following questions:

"Also, has your position changed in the slightest after [a short] exchange? Do you think [your] position has changed in the slightest? Did anyone's position change in the slightest? Did anyone learn anything new? Did anyone get closer to the truth? Ultimately, do you think [short] exchanges are worth it?"

Waiting.

So what? You still haven't proved that the questions I asked are loaded. Again, a question is loaded if it is worded in such a way that forces you to accept faulty/invalid assumptions in order to answer it. Can you please quote at least one of my questions and show a faulty premise that my question allegedly forces you to accept? Can you please indicate what part of the question states the faulty premise? A syntactic and semantic analysis of the question will be appreciated.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: topher694
Upvote 0