Should we value the gift of prophecy today as Paul and Moses did?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Moses said:

And Moses saith to him, `Art thou zealous for me? O that all Jehovah's people were prophets! that Jehovah would put His Spirit upon them!' [Numbers 11:29 YLT]

Similarly, Paul said:

Pursue the love, and seek earnestly the spiritual things, and rather that ye may prophecy,. [1 Corinthians 14:1 YLT]

and I wish you all to speak with tongues, and more that ye may prophecy, for greater is he who is prophesying than he who is speaking with tongues, except one may interpret, that the assembly may receive edification. [1 Corinthians 14:5 YLT]

Should we wish that all God's people may prophesy?

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Saint Steven

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟836,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I believe God's people do prophesy today. And the Word does say in the end times people will dream dreams and see visions, so I believe God has a purpose for it today (or in the future).

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Moses said:

And Moses saith to him, `Art thou zealous for me? O that all Jehovah's people were prophets! that Jehovah would put His Spirit upon them!' [Numbers 11:29 YLT]

Similarly, Paul said:

Pursue the love, and seek earnestly the spiritual things, and rather that ye may prophecy,. [1 Corinthians 14:1 YLT]

and I wish you all to speak with tongues, and more that ye may prophecy, for greater is he who is prophesying than he who is speaking with tongues, except one may interpret, that the assembly may receive edification. [1 Corinthians 14:5 YLT]

You are referencing prophecy in the group setting along with tongues with interpretation. And of course it should be done. The message from prophecy and tongues with interpretation in a church setting would be forth telling…. one of edification, exhortation, and comfort and these are manifestation of the spirit, not gifts (1Co 12:7)
The gift ministry of a prophet in Eph 4:11 could be foretelling and/or forthtelling.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The message from prophecy and tongues with interpretation in a church setting would be forth telling…. one of edification, exhortation, and comfort and these are manifestation of the spirit, not gifts (1Co 12:7)
Huh? I'm unclear what you are saying here, but I'm guessing you mean "gifts" is not the best translation in 1 Cor 12?

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Huh? I'm unclear what you are saying here, but I'm guessing you mean "gifts" is not the best translation in 1 Cor 12?
Yes ….I read over this for a couple of years when I first got in the Word …it took a new believer to point out that it states manifestation.

The word manifestation in the Greek is phanerôsis meaning “to be visible,” “bring to light,” “or open to sight” “to show forth in the sense world. Whereas a gift is individually given, and you do not have it unless someone gives it to you.

The gift we have been given is holy spirit ….the manifestation of the gift…. what we bring to light or show forth, is the 9 manifestations.
Gifts of healing is a manifestation, but each healing is a gift.

• Informative
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you were from Israel listening to Moses during the time of Deuteronomy, how would you interpret what he meant there?
A) the full context of this VERY important

B) the entirety of the scripture, not just the one verse, was that it was a prophetic word to help them identify a specific prophet, Moses' successor, not all prophets.

C) verse 22 is the sign of a false prophet, within the context of B)... the word for prophet in Hebrew can mean true or false depending on the context... in verse 22 it clearly means false prophet because of the negative connotation of the sentence.

D) this scripture actually fits very nicely with 1 Cor 14:32 that the spirit of the Prophets-1 is subject to Prophets-2... THAT is the true test... Moses (Prophet-2) was prophesying (subject to) the conditions (spirit of) for Moses's successor (Prophets-1) to a group of people that had already proven to be easily mislead and who were surrounded by other groups that could easily do so again.

E) Nowhere in the scripture does it suggest this is a test for all prophets for all time. It is the signs to look for, and to avoid when identifying the new prophet... Joshua

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟216,933.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
E) Nowhere in the scripture does it suggest this is a test for all prophets for all time. It is the signs to look for, and to avoid when identifying the new prophet... Joshua

Vs22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

What do you think the term "a prophet" means to a listener?

To become "the" prophet, you must first be "a" prophet, would you agree?

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Vs22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

What do you think the term "a prophet" means to a listener?

To become "the" prophet, you must first be "a" prophet, would you agree?
No, I don't agree and neither does the Hebrew language:

Prophet = Nabiy

Definition:
  1. spokesman, speaker, prophet
    1. prophet
    2. false prophet
    3. heathen prophet

• Informative
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟216,933.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I don't agree and neither does the Hebrew language:

Prophet = Nabiy

Definition:
  1. spokesman, speaker, prophet
    1. prophet
    2. false prophet
    3. heathen prophet

No worries, we can agree to disagree, cheers

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Moses said:

Similarly, Paul said:

Yes. The lack of prophetic ministry is one of the many reasons that the church generally has become weak. There needs to be safeguards against the false. The Bible is the prime resource for that.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Moses said:

Similarly, Paul said:

Sure! We should also test those prophesies as well.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Test them with the Word of God, and if they agree, then we accept them?
There are parameters for prophetic utterances and they are quite narrow.
1) No vagueness
2) Scripturally sound
3) Must come to pass
4) One wrong or misleading prophesy is a false prophet

Blessings

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are parameters for prophetic utterances and they are quite narrow.
1) No vagueness
2) Scripturally sound
3) Must come to pass
4) One wrong or misleading prophesy is a false prophet

Blessings
Only #2 is true

• Agree
Upvote 0