Not open for further replies.

Desertdancer

Feb 27, 2008
✟8,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are we supposed to support Israel? I had a long discussion with someone recently. This all started over the whole Obama news about the pastor of his church saying we are at fault for many things, for several reasons including that we have supported Israel. I think what my problem in this is that I do not know any scripture from the bible to support/not support this fact. Anyone have any suggestions? any verses you know of? thanks!

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Should we support Israel?
Hi. Aren't they an ally of the US?
I do not view anything Biblically future about that country if that is what you mean. :wave:

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Are we supposed to support Israel? I had a long discussion with someone recently. This all started over the whole Obama news about the pastor of his church saying we are at fault for many things, for several reasons including that we have supported Israel. I think what my problem in this is that I do not know any scripture from the bible to support/not support this fact. Anyone have any suggestions? any verses you know of? thanks!
Since is has been recognized as a soveriegn nation by the UN since May 11, 1949, then yes, we should support it, since they are a national ally, much as we should support Great Britain, France, Greece, Italy, Austria, or any of our other allies.

Upvote 0

Desertdancer

Feb 27, 2008
✟8,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
no, what im asking i guess are we not supposed to support israel as christians? This pastor is saying we deserved sept. 11th due to several reasons INCLUDING the fact we support israel. I got into a conversation with someone and they feel that is true, I do not. But i wanted to know if there was an verses, or even thoughts on the fact we are supposed to support them. So i can stand my ground in this conversation.

Past, present, future it doesnt matter. Should we be "punished" for supporting them, like this man claims we have been or should be.

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
no, what im asking i guess are we not supposed to support israel as christians? This pastor is saying we deserved sept. 11th due to several reasons INCLUDING the fact we support israel. I got into a conversation with someone and they feel that is true, I do not. But i wanted to know if there was an verses, or even thoughts on the fact we are supposed to support them. So i can stand my ground in this conversation.

Past, present, future it doesnt matter. Should we be "punished" for supporting them, like this man claims we have been or should be.
I fundamentally disagree with your church leader's interpretation and conclussion. (Does that make me a fundamentalist Catholic? :scratch:) If God is punishing us for anything, it is for marginalizing Him.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

What Scriptures did your pastor come up with for that view? :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
No master should kill the slave purely for his Gentile-ness.

Ponder that.
Then they are not being persecuted for their faith, but rather their ethnicity. I thought you were mentioning their Christianity because it was a factor in the reason for their persecution. Sorry I misunderstood.

Upvote 0

Desertdancer

Feb 27, 2008
✟8,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am loving the responses thank you, it gives me alot to go on. I did not mean to mislead you on one thing, in my first post i was saying that it was senator obamas long time pastor whom in the past few days said such things, not my pastor. Its been a fire in the news because he is saying that god has d---ed america, thus being one reason. WHich lead to heavy conversation in my home. Alot of u have great points....

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Israel persecutes Christians that have been in the region for 2,000 years just because they are of Palestinian descent.

Ponder that.
:amen: :thumbsup: ! Jerusalem had many, many Christians in it until the Israelis kicked them out because they are not Jewish. Many of the villages in the West Bank were at one time 80-90% Christian (that may not be true anymore because many had to leave in order to protect their families from the Israeli armies. I remember one story written by a Palestinian Christian who told about the obstacles of getting her children to school in another village, including being stopped by Israeli guards and being held at gunpoint. She said the worst part was that rifles being held in the hands of the Israeli soldiers were American when she was raised here in the States. I will not support a country that persecutes Christians and kicks them out of Jerusalem and Bethlehem and other cities that they were in for centuries.

Also, I have problems with the fact that many Christians support Israel no matter what they do. Is that what Jesus did? He called a spade and spade and didn't play favorites. Both sides have done horrible things, and we need to take a stand against that rather than defending them no matter what they do. Both the Israelis and Arabs are made in God's image and have Christ's likeness in them. Also, with Christ there is a new covenant, and the Chuch is the Israel in this covenant.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Then they are not being persecuted for their faith, but rather their ethnicity. I thought you were mentioning their Christianity because it was a factor in the reason for their persecution. Sorry I misunderstood.
I believe it is a little bit of both, but more the ethnicity than the religion.

Palestinians are partly of Canaanite descent. That bit does not help the Zionist cause now, does it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
:amen: :thumbsup: ! Jerusalem had many, many Christians in it until the Israelis kicked them out because they are not Jewish. Many of the villages in the West Bank were at one time 80-90% Christian (that may not be true anymore because many had to leave in order to protect their families from the Israeli armies. I remember one story written by a Palestinian Christian who told about the obstacles of getting her children to school in another village, including being stopped by Israeli guards and being held at gunpoint. She said the worst part was that rifles being held in the hands of the Israeli soldiers were American when she was raised here in the States. I will not support a country that persecutes Christians and kicks them out of Jerusalem and Bethlehem and other cities that they were in for centuries.

Also, I have problems with the fact that many Christians support Israel no matter what they do. Is that what Jesus did? He called a spade and spade and didn't play favorites. Both sides have done horrible things, and we need to take a stand against that rather than defending them no matter what they do. Both the Israelis and Arabs are made in God's image and have Christ's likeness in them. Also, with Christ there is a new covenant, and the Chuch is the Israel in this covenant.
Precisely.

You know how the Arab atrocities towards the Israelis are always brought up when talking about the war in 1948? Well, the Israelis have blood on their hands as well. Could be thicker.

See: the village of Eilaboun. The village at the time was predominately Christian. Most killed by the Israeli Armed Forces, not Arabs.

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I believe it is a little bit of both, but more the ethnicity than the religion.

Palestinians are partly of Canaanite descent. That bit does not help the Zionist cause now, does it?
Probably not, however, considering how awefully the Jews were persecuted under Nazi and COmmunist rule, didn't they deserve a place where they could be unapologetically Jewish?

I don't agree with what they've done in the name of nationalist expansion, but I agree with the idea, outside of the Zionist nonsense.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Hi Desertdancer,

We have to remember that Israel, the nation, is very special to God. In Deuteronomy 7:6-8 we read: " 6 For you are a people holy to the LORD your God. The LORD your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession. 7 The LORD did not set his affection on you and choose you because you were more numerous than other peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples. 8 But it was because the LORD loved you and kept the oath he swore to your forefathers that he brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the land of slavery, from the power of Pharaoh king of Egypt."

God's eternal purpose is to bless the world through Israel. Already He has done so in measure, for "salvation is of the Jews" (John 4:22), but we see the fullness of future blessing in the promise of Isaiah 27:6: "6 In days to come Jacob will take root, Israel will bud and blossom and fill all the world with fruit."

The declaration that "salvation is of the Jews,” suggests our great debt to Israel. All that we have worth having has come to us through the Jews. Our Bible is a Jewish Book, and our Savior is a Jewish Savior. Israel, today, is in the place of rejection. The nation today is a secular, unbelieving (as to the claims of Scripture and their Messiah, Jesus Christ) nation but "5So too, at the present time there is a remnant chosen by grace." (Romans 11:5). Some Jews are being saved and are becoming members of the body of Christ, the church.

Jews are, biblically speaking, the chosen people of God and clearly loved by Him. Another reason for Christians to support the nation of Israel is because of the Abrahamic Covenant. We read in Genesis 12:2-3: "2 I will make you into a great nation
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you." (see also Genesis 27:29; Numbers 24:9).

This is not to say that we support necessarily the methods they use in their relationships with the Arab nations. The Bible warned that conflict would always characterize the relations between the descendents of Isaac and Ishmael. Sadly, this conflict will continue until Jesus comes back to judge the nations and sets up his 1,000 year reign of peace on earth. We need to look at the "big picture” with a biblical worldview. While we do not have to support everything Israel does as a nation, we most definitely should support Israel’s right to exist. God will fulfill His promises and covenants with Israel. God still has a plan for Israel. Woe to anyone who seeks to defeat God's plan:
2 "I will make you into a great nation
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you." (Genesis 12:2-3).

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,558.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Probably not, however, considering how awefully the Jews were persecuted under Nazi and COmmunist rule, didn't they deserve a place where they could be unapologetically Jewish?

I don't agree with what they've done in the name of nationalist expansion, but I agree with the idea, outside of the Zionist nonsense.
Yes, but not a "Jews Only" country club type.

No amount of suffering justifies the atrocities that they have committed for sixty years.

Read what happened in Eilaboun. It is exactly what the Nazis did to the Jews, yet this time the Jews did it to the Palestinians. Still are in some areas.

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, but not a "Jews Only" country club type.

No amount of suffering justifies the atrocities that they have committed for sixty years.

Read what happened in Eilaboun. It is exactly what the Nazis did to the Jews, yet this time the Jews did it to the Palestinians. Still are in some areas.
I have no intention of making excuses for what has happened or what is happening. I just think that after a couple of millenia of being the punching bag for the entire world, they are a bit tired of it. I think religious persecution of any type is aweful and should stop, I can just sorta understand where the pent up hostility comes from.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.