Should we put the species of Earth under deliberate pressure?

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So I know we are sort of expected to debate here, but for some reason people think I am debating even when I am just asking a question. Like here:

I am asking, should we put the species of Earth under deliberate pressure?

Realistically, I don't know.

Maybe just see if you can answer it??

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

So I know we are sort of expected to debate here, but for some reason people think I am debating even when I am just asking a question. Like here:

I am asking, should we put the species of Earth under deliberate pressure?

Realistically, I don't know.

Maybe just see if you can answer it??
What is "deliberate pressure"? Everything is already under constant pressure. Are you asking if we should somehow try to change those pressures?

• Winner
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟925,593.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
So we should see if we can get cows from dogs?

Or chickens from apes?

Or whatever??
No. That's not how evolution works.

We get new varieties and variations of existing lineages.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Or chickens from apes?

Or whatever??
What would be the point of getting cows from dogs when we already have cows? It would take many generations and its not worth the effort.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
What would be the point of getting cows from dogs when we already have cows? It would take many generations and its not worth the effort.

They might be better cows, coming from dogs, than coming from fish or dinosaurs (or whatever it is Evolution says they come from)?

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
They might be better cows, coming from dogs, than coming from fish or dinosaurs (or whatever it is Evolution says they come from)?
Cows from dogs would be the same nonsense as cows from fish or from dinosaurs. Let cows be simply cows, in their logical and natural lineage.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Or chickens from apes?

Or whatever??
Crocoduck FTW!

C0wPSQYWQAAq1B7.jpg

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Cows from dogs would be the same nonsense as cows from fish or from dinosaurs. Let cows be simply cows, in their logical and natural lineage.

It seems like some sort of healing balm, for Evolutionists - to ponder what it is they could become.

As long as we are without proof that that is how Evolution works, maybe the attempt itself will reveal instructive?

It can't be worse than being told you were from a monkey, surely?!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,341.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Ok sure.

So you are in favour of putting pressure on species, to keep going?

Surely you wouldn't want to stop with the past, now would you??

Except that you can't get a dog from a cow, or a cow from a dog. That's not how evolution works. No selection pressure outside of severe genetic manipulation could create either of those outcomes.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Or chickens from apes?

Or whatever??
Lets start with changing chickens.(even more?)
We have plenty of them and they are poor pets.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No. That's not how evolution works. We get new varieties and variations of existing lineages.

Not having a name for a new species to work with, using current species as a talking point is fine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The they could protect your home and give milk on a daily basis. And provide way more fertilizer for the garden. And you could sell off the little ones for income. I think we'd need to pasture them though because our lawns are too small. But the kids could ride them to school. The sidewalks would get messy. And they shed seasonally. The barking would be loud. The males are pretty aggressive. There'd be fewer break-ins if you had a male and the females are not very protective. The neighborhood would smell worse. And your carpeting. And they'd break stuff in the house. If they climbed on the bed, it'd be a mess.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟243,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
So this is the first post by OP that I feel like is completely coherent and understandable. I know exactly what Gottservant is asking!! Even your follow-up posts! That's awesome! Good job on that!

It, however, confirms what I've suspected all along. Through other semi-coherent rambling and nonsensical questions asked by the op about evolution I've come to the conclusion that Gottservant is not familiar with nor understands how evolution actually works and instead falls on some cartoon version and then asks questions not in an attempt to actually learn the answers or further their own understanding, but as a vehicle to ridicule what they make no effort to understand.

So this is the answer to your OP question, Gottservant. We all know what you're here to actually do. You don't really want to know the answer to your question. You think you're clever asking a nonsensical question that evolutionist can't or won't answer but, it belies your true motives.

Let us know when you want to actually discuss evolution in its scientific context. Until then you might find Pokemon more to your liking. :)

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,534.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

Or chickens from apes?

Or whatever??
You would be well suited to pursue each of these goals. Your proven track record for engaging in pointless exercises based upon minimal understanding of the topic addressed would allow you to engage with those goals with enthusiasm, no chance of success and zero discouragement when the inevitable happened.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟925,593.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Not having a name for a new species to work with, using current species as a talking point is fine.
While you could warp a dog into something like a cow or an ape into something like a bird (that one is harder), the steps would be long and arduous.

At a glance you can see rat to wolf happen in a similar way with marsupial placental mammals, but if you actually examine the internal structure of timber wolf versus a Tasmanian tiger only the basic outer structure is particularly similar.

Using the same name for creatures from different lineages seems to cause more confusion then clarity.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While you could warp a dog into something like a cow or an ape into something like a bird (that one is harder), the steps would be long and arduous.

At a glance you can see rat to wolf happen in a similar way with marsupial placental mammals, but if you actually examine the internal structure of timber wolf versus a Tasmanian tiger only the basic outer structure is particularly similar.

Using the same name for creatures from different lineages seems to cause more confusion then clarity.
Not having a name for a new species to work with, using current species as a talking point is a starting point.

Though there are no improvements to make. No one has ever come up with one biological improvement for any species.

Upvote 0