Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus tells us to pray saying "Our Father..." in John he says "whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you" Again in Matthew Jesus tells us that "if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven." Not every where says it quite like this such as in John 14 Jesus tells us "Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son." but the focus is still toward the Father.

It seems Jesus wants us to pray to the Father in his name rather than just to him. Is this distinction important or does it matter? These aren't magic words and I'm not suggesting that but rather a focus of prayer using a model Jesus shows us.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We should pray to the Father. We should pray to Christ-God (Jesus). We should pray to the Holy Spirit. We should pray to the Holy Trinity (all three).

They are all Persons. They are all God. We can and should pray to any and all of them.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jesus tells us to pray saying "Our Father..." in John he says "whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you" Again in Matthew Jesus tells us that "if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven." Not every where says it quite like this such as in John 14 Jesus tells us "Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son." but the focus is still toward the Father.

It seems Jesus wants us to pray to the Father in his name rather than just to him. Is this distinction important or does it matter? These aren't magic words and I'm not suggesting that but rather a focus of prayer using a model Jesus shows us.

Pray in JESUS name becuase that's the name we have been given to move on our behalf on Earth. Also JESUS, Holy spirit all of God.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pray in JESUS name becuase that's the name we have been given to move on our behalf on Earth. Also JESUS, Holy spirit all of God.

there is no question about praying in Jesus name as pointed out in the OP but what about praying to Jesus.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We should pray to the Father. We should pray to Christ-God (Jesus). We should pray to the Holy Spirit. We should pray to the Holy Trinity (all three).

They are all Persons. They are all God. We can and should pray to any and all of them.

What are the benefits of praying to Jesus or praying to the Spirit over praying to the Father in Jesus name through the power of the Spirit? Or is all this just semantics and God is God regardless which person(s) of the trinity we identify

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What's the difference lol

The difference is what I'm trying to figure out as Jesus seems to tell us to pray to the Father in his name, not pray to him only. Is the focus Jesus points out an important distinction?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What are the benefits of praying to Jesus or praying to the Spirit over praying to the Father in Jesus name through the power of the Spirit?

Benefits?

Well, it's not a cost analysis. (Not meaning to be snarky, really). It's not about benefit, it's about relationship.

I don't think Christ will cast anyone aside for failing to pray to Him, because they are applying a particular verse of Scripture.

But there are particulars we like to thank Christ for doing, things to ask the Holy Spirit to do, praises to glorify the Father, and so on. And we desire a relationship with the Holy Trinity. That is the benefit, I suppose.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Benefits?

Well, it's not a cost analysis. (Not meaning to be snarky, really). It's not about benefit, it's about relationship.

I don't think Christ will cast anyone aside for failing to pray to Him, because they are applying a particular verse of Scripture.

But there are particulars we like to thank Christ for doing, things to ask the Holy Spirit to do, praises to glorify the Father, and so on. And we desire a relationship with the Holy Trinity. That is the benefit, I suppose.

and what of the model Jesus presents us of prayer? Should we not hold his words with high value over others?

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
and what of the model Jesus presents us of prayer? Should we not hold his words with high value over others?

If it goes against your conscience to do so, then you shouldn't.

But the early Christians prayed directly to Christ, and Christians through the centuries have done. If Christ had said, "Never pray to Me" that would be different, but of course He did not.

Im not seeking to argue. Just answering your question. But if for some reason your conscience is violated by praying to Jesus, well ... I would suggest to continue to study it, but not to go against whatever your conscience doesn't allow in the meantime, as is true for any of us at whatever stage we are.

Be at peace. :)

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Acts 7:59
"Lord Jesus, receive my Spirit”

Rev. 22:20
"Come, Lord Jesus"

Prayers of the saints are offered to the Lamb in Revelation 8

Hebrews 1:6
And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, “Let all God’s angels worship him.”

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The difference is what I'm trying to figure out as Jesus seems to tell us to pray to the Father in his name, not pray to him only. Is the focus Jesus points out an important distinction?
Well to answer this question it depends on how you view God. I have an answer but it wouldn't help unless you hold my perspective and most likely you don't it's not popular on Christian forums ,

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It seems to say that the Heavenly Father of Christ is our father also and He should be thought of as Holy. His kingdom will be completed according to His plans. His provision and protection is asked for self and neighbor. Asked in Jesus' Name. Christ was under the umbrella of staying within the word during His temptations while NT times we're covered by His blood.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well to answer this question it depends on how you view God. I have an answer but it wouldn't help unless you hold my perspective and most likely you don't it's not popular on Christian forums ,
Yes, sorry, not in here.

Have a blessed evening. :)

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, sorry, not in here.

Have a blessed evening. :)
smh and the fact you post be blessed after restricting me from expressing my perspective is a blow if anything lol i'm not accepting that blessing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
anyway you're welcome to PM me anytime I can provide an biblical answer if no one on here ends up answering the question for you.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Our Lord teaches us that we can ask and pray to the Father in His name; He doesn't tell us to only pray to the Father however. It was already provided earlier, but we also have explicit examples of prayer directed to Christ.

The Church has always prayed to all Three Persons of the Trinity, and to the Trinity; further on account of the mutual coinherence of the Persons and their Perichoresis there is no separation: When we pray to the Father it is not to the exclusion of the Son or the Holy Spirit, because the Father is not separate from His Son and Spirit.

The idea of "benefit" was brought up too, but I don't think prayer works on the basis of "benefits". Prayer invites us into life and sharing in and with God, it's not about what we can get out of it but rather about how our life as God's people should be shaped by prayer. The Christian life is the prayerful life.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What are the benefits of praying to Jesus or praying to the Spirit over praying to the Father in Jesus name through the power of the Spirit? Or is all this just semantics and God is God regardless which person(s) of the trinity we identify
Pray to the Father in the Name of the Son in the Gift of the Holy Spirit. (The "gift" does not mean "tongues.")

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Pray to the Father in the Name of the Son in the Gift of the Holy Spirit. (The "gift" does not mean "tongues.")
...well the bible mentions gifts...and one of those gifts is diverse tounques... i'm not trying to take away from your point...just felt that needed clarification.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
smh and the fact you post be blessed after restricting me from expressing my perspective is a blow if anything lol i'm not accepting that blessing.

I am sorry ... part of my responsibility to enforce forum rules. It is not me personally restricting you. I offered the blessing in sincerity.

I apologize.

Upvote 0