Should we pray more than once in a particular situation?

PrincessofGod18

Apr 8, 2018
London
✟20,036.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi all

Why should we pray so many times in a particular situation? When God can hear us once.

Sometimes i think that if i pray more than once in a situation to God, it's like i saying i don't trust God.

Any bible verses that say that we need to pray more than once in particular situation?

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi all

Why should we pray so many times in a particular situation? When God can hear us once.

Sometimes i think that if i pray more than once in a situation to God, it's like i saying i don't trust God.

Any bible verses that say that we need to pray more than once in particular situation?
Perhaps Luke 18:1-5?

“1 Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart, 2 saying: “There was in a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man. 3 Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, ‘Get justice for me from my adversary.’ 4 And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, ‘Though I do not fear God nor regard man, 5 yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.’ ”

I know when my children were little, they would come to me over and over asking me for things again and again until I responded to their requests, even though they knew that I had heard them. Perhaps it is similar with us and God?

Upvote 0

PrincessofGod18

Apr 8, 2018
London
✟20,036.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1Thessalonians 5:17-18

But isn't that saying praying frequently, but what about praying for the same thing like everyday or once a week for particular situation. I know and understand everything is in God's timing.

And we should pray in everything, but is it okay to keep praying for the same thing. And of course it's only if it's His will.
Philippians 4:6-7 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

Upvote 0

StrivingFollower

Oct 20, 2017
South
✟35,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Prayer goes far beyond the words. It's about connecting our hearts with God's. If we pray longer and longer, we can put more positivity in our heads, and lean a bit more on God making the prayer stronger. It's all about opening up your heart. And nobody comes close to God's patience. Don't worry about being sloppy, he's just happy to see you make a dedicated effort. Jesus prayed all night, I'm sure he repeated a lot. Elijah prayed over and over again for the drought to happen and stay.. as God's wanted punishment for corrupt Israel. And then he prayed for some hours for the rain to fall.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,676.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Hi all

I think you are making sense. The Father hears us the first time. But....it's not that simple. He hears our words or thoughts. However, we have to come before Him with the right heart. A humble heart, a heart that truly believes He wants to help, a heart most of all offered up with a loving spirit is like gasoline. The words and prayers are like the vehicle. They won't go anywhere without the gas.

So, when I don't get answers to prayers I feel it is because I didn't ask with enough heart, maybe was mechanical, maybe not humble. It takes time to learn all this and I admit I am still learning. It takes time because our hearts can so often be hard. When the Apostles did not have enough faith - and faith is was gets prayers answered, and faith works by love - the Savior told them they were experiencing hardness of heart.

Sometimes I feel I did pray right the first time and then sometimes, also, I will get the feeling of peace, that somehow seems to be sort of saying, "Okay. That was fine. I heard you. Let it go and leave it to me, now." Things do always work out fine under that scenario, too.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,676.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Even Jesus had to pray twice for a man to be healed. Mark 8:24
This Bible verses do not say Messiah prayed more than once. He asked more than one question as He was waiting for the healing to be completed in the way He wanted it to progress. Of course He would never have to pray more than once. He is the Lord of all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the story of Elijah praying seven times for rain is instructive. Sometimes its not about God hearing but our putting forth the effort to show God our desire to have a prayer heard. This builds patience, endurance and character.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But isn't that saying praying frequently, but what about praying for the same thing like everyday or once a week for particular situation. I know and understand everything is in God's timing.

And we should pray in everything, but is it okay to keep praying for the same thing. And of course it's only if it's His will.
Philippians 4:6-7 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

For that someone has rightly posted Luke 18:1-5 about the widow who kept troubling the judge and finally he had to grant her requests. But at the end of the day God is sovereign and He will do what He wants to. For example, how He got Jonah to finally preach to the people of Nineveh which was against Jonah's will.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,676.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
For that someone has rightly posted Luke 18:1-5 about the widow who kept troubling the judge and finally he had to grant her requests. But at the end of the day God is sovereign and He will do what He wants to. For example, how He got Jonah to finally preach to the people of Nineveh which was against Jonah's will.
In the story of the widow and the judge, though, the Lord does not compare Himself to the Judge, but contrasts Himself with that mean man. Also, Jonah did not pray at all to be able to preach to Ninevah, not once or more than once. He was resisting doing what He was told to do and the Father made sure He did it anyway. Jonah's real, heart, prayer, was to NOT go to Ninevah. Even when he was pretty much forced to go, we never see him praying for that populace. In fact, he deeply resented that they repented, as you can see at the end of the story. (I'm guessing he had some loved ones who were killed or at least very abused by the Ninevites as they weren't exactly great friends to Israel.)

Upvote 0

PrincessofGod18

Apr 8, 2018
London
✟20,036.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This Bible verses do not say Messiah prayed more than once. He asked more than one question as He was waiting for the healing to be completed in the way He wanted it to progress. Of course He would never have to pray more than once. He is the Lord of all.

I agree with this, God doesn't need to pray twice for healing for someone. If it's His will to heal someone on earth, He would do it.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,676.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I agree with this, God doesn't need to pray twice for healing for someone. If it's His will to heal someone on earth, He would do it.
Well, it seems it is His will to heal us. When Messiah was followed by the masses in huge numbers "He healed them all." He never said "Well, it's not my Father's will for you over there."

In fact we are told to heal the sick, with no disclaimers. What is the problem? Generally, as with the apostles, it is lack of faith. And He attributed their lack of faith to "the hardness of your hearts."

Upvote 0