Should we operate solely on a trust relationship?

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have noticed that churches do not always have stringent screening process that non-profits do when it comes to giving out assistance.

If someone has been attending her home church for a while and say that she is financially struggling, people, including the pastor, take her word for it. They don't check income, but give based on a trust relationship (and I am not talking about small amount like gas money, but a whole month's rent out of the church's discretionary fund).

But I am wondering if churches should have a screening proess just like the non-profits to guard against a potential sob stories fraud. (I ask because I have a personal experience of being defrauded by a friend whose financial crisis story turned out to be not legitimate).

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is fair to gather that info in that process. The church is being the steward of everyone's money, there. Armed with that info, they may help the person become more efficient with their base finances, too.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have noticed that churches do not always have stringent screening process that non-profits do when it comes to giving out assistance.

If someone has been attending her home church for a while and say that she is financially struggling, people, including the pastor, take her word for it. They don't check income, but give based on a trust relationship (and I am not talking about small amount like gas money, but a whole month's rent out of the church's discretionary fund).

But I am wondering if churches should have a screening proess just like the non-profits to guard against a potential sob stories fraud. (I ask because I have a personal experience of being defrauded by a friend whose financial crisis story turned out to be not legitimate).

I attended a congregation in Honolulu back in the 90s in which the pastor had asserted, "No member of this congregation need ever worry about having a place to live, food to eat, or clothing to wear."

That congregation was aggressive in making sure the needs within the congregation were met--and not just the basics, but including things like medical care, job training, legal assistance, whatever.

But he had also asserted: "Every member has a need, every member has a resource," and encouraged members to reveal both their needs and their resources so that the staff could match needs with resources. In many cases, a member's resource might be nothing but time to help out for another member. The church met the rent of an out-of-work carpenter, and an elderly woman in the congregation got a leak in her roof repaired. An elderly widow in the congregation began providing holiday meals for students and soldiers who were far from home; they began picking up her prescriptions and doing chores after classes.

But that required membership. It required going on the roll, it required providing information about oneself, it required getting involved with other people in the congregation.

And that's how you get your "vetting."

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."
Matthew 10:16

• Useful
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0