Should we get in the habit of posting "Catholics Only" on this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
NOTE: This is not meant to be a discussion of the rules, whether they should be changed, whether people are breaking them, or anything like that. It's only a discussion of what types of threads will lead to the best discussions in OBOB.

Now that being said, it's been a long practice that discussions from One Bread, One Body are meant for a Catholic audience, and that they are not intended to be places to debate Church teaching. However, since this site has a wide audience it has often been the case that people will click on a thread from this forum (especially if it is in the new threads feed) without realizing what forum the thread belongs to and as such post without knowledge of this practice. In many cases this is an honest mistake. But even honest mistakes can derail threads.

Fenwick had suggested in another post that he intended to put [Catholics Only] in all of his threads. This got me thinking that this might not be a bad idea for more people to adopt. I don't post threads much in this forum, but if I do I probably will add the tag. (I didn't on this thread because it seemed like overkill for a thread that already had "Catholics Only" in it). At the very least this would help people be aware that they are posting in the Catholic subforum, especially when following links from the new thread feed.

However, I can see that others might think that using [Catholics Only] in titles might be inelegant, impolite, ineffective or for some other reason undesirable. If so, I'd like to hear more of their opinions, and whether they have another idea to more clearly communicate to posters what forum this is and what our expectations are.

Again: this is NOT a thread to discuss the forum rules, moderator action, or anything like that. Please keep the discussion to the topic at hand. The whole point of this discussion is to figure out how to have more productive discussions in the future with less confusion from other posters; it would be the height of irony to derail this thread.

Reactions: Michie

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I've never really liked the idea of 'safe havens' because I think we should be challenged and tested to defend our beliefs, but at the same time it does get a bit tedious at times so I can see where people are coming from.

However, each denominational forum has a Statement of Purpose which usually excludes debating against the beliefs of that specific forum, so if you see that, especially if it was uninvited discussion, then you can report it :)

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've never really liked the idea of 'safe havens' because I think we should be challenged and tested to defend our beliefs, but at the same time it does get a bit tedious at times so I can see where people are coming from.

However, each denominational forum has a Statement of Purpose which usually excludes debating against the beliefs of that specific forum, so if you see that, especially if it was uninvited discussion, then you can report it :)

I think that all the regular posters are well aware of the rules on OBOB. However, without getting into specifics because I want to follow my own advice and not discuss the pros and cons of the rules, there have nevertheless been people who have wandered into this subforum even with those rules. Beyond that, some of these mistakes have been honest and as such people might not want to report them.

So what I want to do in this thread is to explore ways that we can effectively communicate the existing safe haven policies and practices.

Which incidentally makes me think of something else. I can tell that you, High Fidelity, realized what forum this is and posted in fellowship and that's fine. But if anyone else happens to get into this thread without realizing that this is the Catholic subforum, could you tell us how you made that mistake and what sort of post might have made you realize where the post was earlier? That information could be very helpful.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
NOTE: This is not meant to be a discussion of the rules, whether they should be changed, whether people are breaking them, or anything like that. It's only a discussion of what types of threads will lead to the best discussions in OBOB.

Now that being said, it's been a long practice that discussions from One Bread, One Body are meant for a Catholic audience, and that they are not intended to be places to debate Church teaching. However, since this site has a wide audience it has often been the case that people will click on a thread from this forum (especially if it is in the new threads feed) without realizing what forum the thread belongs to and as such post without knowledge of this practice. In many cases this is an honest mistake. But even honest mistakes can derail threads.

Fenwick had suggested in another post that he intended to put [Catholics Only] in all of his threads. This got me thinking that this might not be a bad idea for more people to adopt. I don't post threads much in this forum, but if I do I probably will add the tag. (I didn't on this thread because it seemed like overkill for a thread that already had "Catholics Only" in it). At the very least this would help people be aware that they are posting in the Catholic subforum, especially when following links from the new thread feed.

However, I can see that others might think that using [Catholics Only] in titles might be inelegant, impolite, ineffective or for some other reason undesirable. If so, I'd like to hear more of their opinions, and whether they have another idea to more clearly communicate to posters what forum this is and what our expectations are.

Again: this is NOT a thread to discuss the forum rules, moderator action, or anything like that. Please keep the discussion to the topic at hand. The whole point of this discussion is to figure out how to have more productive discussions in the future with less confusion from other posters; it would be the height of irony to derail this thread.
I often forget. But along the same lines, we have had many respectful posters that add to the discussion. I do not want to shut people like that out. Maybe just tag it with Catholic thread? OBOB? Any other suggestions?

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It may be worth speaking with Tallguy(Catholic) the Admin about it, too.

What I can say and admit to myself is that not just in the Catholic forum but other forums too, is that sometimes people see things they can't not reply to. Sometimes it's just to jab, but sometimes it's because they don't feel in good conscience they can witness it and not 'correct' it(as they see it). That's just part and parcel of having a forum that isn't entirely closed off, though, and where the rules are enforced and staff step in. That much can't really be avoided with an open format.

But yes, the sidebar does make it a little difficult sometimes and the main reason I check the forum a thread is in is because I was an Admin myself so I am well aware of SOP things and have slapped many a wrist for violating it.

• Haha
Reactions: Anhelyna
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I often forget. But along the same lines, we have had many respectful posters that add to the discussion. I do not wants to shut people like that out. Maybe just tag it with Catholic thread? OBOB? Any other suggestions?

A custom thread tag is possible. In fact, I'm surprised there isn't a Catholic-only tag. That is a pretty quick fix provided it's agreed upon. But yes I think it'd be a good idea to brainstorm with @Tallguy88 :)

• Informative
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Keep making thread like this and make comments like "I know you wanted Catholic advise but are getting advise from every Tom, you-know-who, and Harry" And we will get the point...and stay away.....I know i have.....with this post as an exception..... I've learned to read the location of the thread, and stay away from areas Im not welcomed.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Instead of "Catholics Only", which might turn fellowship away, what about, "Catholic Forum"?
That's a good idea. It makes people aware without sounding too unfriendly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

TBF, there are already plenty of communal areas like General Theology where people can challenge themselves. In most cases, we're challenged enough in our daily lives and if we come here we just want a respite to discuss things amongst like-minded people without being asked to defend our beliefs. Hence, the safe havens.

That's why I tag my posts with "Catholics Only" and tend to relegate myself to OBOB when discussing matters of faith.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

@~Anastasia~ does that at the top of many of her OP's on the EOC's home board now (tells us what board we are on). I think it's a great idea because it gently reminds those of us who are not EOC to take note of where we are before we begin to post :oldthumbsup:

--David
p.s. - BTW, OBOB is a GREAT board. Thank you for letting me visit and be a part of it :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are glad to have you and thank you so much for the much needed compliment! :)
@~Anastasia~ does that at the top of many of her OP's on the EOC's home board now (tells us what board we are on). I think it's a great idea because it gently reminds those of us who are not EOC to take note of where we are before we begin to post :oldthumbsup:

--David
p.s. - BTW, OBOB is a GREAT board. Thank you for letting me visit and be a part of it :)

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I rarely step out of OBOB except to read on occasion. But I agree. Everyone should be respectful of everyone here.
I think safe havens is an excellent idea, and I mean across the board at CF with regard to every denomination and group. But expecting mods to enforce it might be setting your goals a little high, IMO. In the end, even if the rules were put in place, it might again boil down to having to put your armor on and just go in prepared to have to whether the storm.

Besides, I have to tell you guys; though I mean no disrespect, it's a little tough to have sympathy here. I mean, there are many Catholics at this forum who dish it out just as badly if not worse than they receive it. In fact, I've received nastier replies from Catholics during debates than any other single group, though I pull no favorites (no offense, Michie. You know I always appreciate your posts and try to respond favorably whenever I have opportunity. I'm no anti-Catholic, though the nastier ones often accuse me of it). I even remember Fenwick popping in on me during one thread and being unnecessarily offensive and insulting when the discussion was peaceable... and it was one where I was in agreement with Michie on thread she started as a matter of fact...

I'm just saying, by all means push for having safe havens where you guys can discuss things in peace and help one another grow. But be respectful of others as well, even in the threads that are not safe havens. I think this might go a long ways towards others respecting your space a little more, since I don't think this Forum is well equipped to police such situations even if the rules change.

God bless.

• Agree
Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I rarely step out of OBOB except to read on occasion. But I agree. Everyone should be respectful of everyone here.

It is a good pursuit, and if they can enforce it I think it would be a great thing. All who name the name of Christ should be enforcing themselves through the conviction of the Spirit of God. But the truth is that most do not. So something really HAS to be done from the outside to keep the peace, and I therefore think it should be.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
From what I've gathered, people don't care, and they have little to no fear of being disciplined.

Probably because the discipline either pales in comparison to the satisfaction they get from being disruptive, or the discipline is selective in the first place and meted out based on the biases of the staff.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Mod hat.jpg

MOD HAT ON
This thread has been closed for review.
It started well but we can't let it degenerate into complaints about specific people etc.
MOD HAT OFF

My two cents' worth, on topic, would be that a "Catholic forum" tag would be better than "Catholic only," as the latter looks like it wants to exclude appropriate fellowship posts from non-Catholics.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.