Should we always be honest even if it's not the morally right thing to say?

JW876

Aug 25, 2020
United Kingdom
✟22,286.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone,

I would be hugely grateful for some advice around an area of uncertainty I'm facing at the moment. I was recently informed that my role at work is being made redundant. From my experience of the on-the-ground nature of the organisation's operations, I have huge reservations around the idea. Having had an incredibly high workload since being in the job, I feel very concerned for the already incredibly busy staff who my tasks would be transferred to - how they will cope, anticipating them being incredibly overwhelmed. With this I worry for knock on effects for the beneficiaries and stakeholders we support too.

I have not formally appealed as I had the option to but have strongly voiced my concerns to the Chair in writing who has invited me to meet this week to talk things through. However, as I had actually been considering leaving the job in the near future anyway, I am not that concerned for my own job personally and do not in all honestly really want to continue in the role myself. Because of this it has been difficult finding the motivation to fight for it to be continued, even though I feel it is the right thing to do for staff and the organisation going forwards. I have also been offered an alternative, very different role in the organisation, which I have agreed I would like to take up, having been keen to gain more experience in this areas instead.

I am going to stand with the view point for the meeting that my role should be continued, but if there does come to be a willingness for plans to be rethought in order for the role to be continued (unlikely but a possibility), I anticipate they may ask if I wish to continue in the role myself, considering the interest I have shown in the other role I said I would like to take up. So if it comes to this, I'm unsure whether to be honest and admit that I'm not really keen to continue in my current role. If I am honest in this then I think it's extremely unlikely they would continue the role by recruiting someone else, especially considering we have a lot of recruitment going on at the moment.

So I suppose my question is - I know the Bible teaches to never lie, but is it right to lie and say I'm very willing to continue in it, even if I'm not?! It feels like the morally right thing to say otherwise and ignore my own selfish preferences, in order to prevent the difficulties and stress that will arise otherwise. So I'm unsure whether it's right to essentially be dishonest and say I would be very happy to continue, in order to do what I feel best is for the organisation, or to be honest...

Thanks so much if you've read as far as here! Any thoughts would be really appreciated :) Thanks so much.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone,

I would be hugely grateful for some advice around an area of uncertainty I'm facing at the moment. I was recently informed that my role at work is being made redundant. From my experience of the on-the-ground nature of the organisation's operations, I have huge reservations around the idea. Having had an incredibly high workload since being in the job, I feel very concerned for the already incredibly busy staff who my tasks would be transferred to - how they will cope, anticipating them being incredibly overwhelmed. With this I worry for knock on effects for the beneficiaries and stakeholders we support too.

I have not formally appealed as I had the option to but have strongly voiced my concerns to the Chair in writing who has invited me to meet this week to talk things through. However, as I had actually been considering leaving the job in the near future anyway, I am not that concerned for my own job personally and do not in all honestly really want to continue in the role myself. Because of this it has been difficult finding the motivation to fight for it to be continued, even though I feel it is the right thing to do for staff and the organisation going forwards. I have also been offered an alternative, very different role in the organisation, which I have agreed I would like to take up, having been keen to gain more experience in this areas instead.

I am going to stand with the view point for the meeting that my role should be continued, but if there does come to be a willingness for plans to be rethought in order for the role to be continued (unlikely but a possibility), I anticipate they may ask if I wish to continue in the role myself, considering the interest I have shown in the other role I said I would like to take up. So if it comes to this, I'm unsure whether to be honest and admit that I'm not really keen to continue in my current role. If I am honest in this then I think it's extremely unlikely they would continue the role by recruiting someone else, especially considering we have a lot of recruitment going on at the moment.

So I suppose my question is - I know the Bible teaches to never lie, but is it right to lie and say I'm very willing to continue in it, even if I'm not?! It feels like the morally right thing to say otherwise and ignore my own selfish preferences, in order to prevent the difficulties and stress that will arise otherwise. So I'm unsure whether it's right to essentially be dishonest and say I would be very happy to continue, in order to do what I feel best is for the organisation, or to be honest...

Thanks so much if you've read as far as here! Any thoughts would be really appreciated :) Thanks so much.

well .... if the roles were reversed .... and you were them .... what would you want?

Personally, I've always chosen honesty and integrity ... if I don't then the Lord is quick to remind me about it ;o)

Lies ... don't produce anything good.

Reactions: JW876
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone,

You can document your plans for your position and the outcomes you intend to achieve in detail. If they like your plan they might hold your job open. (Not likely) But be ready for an alternate role. Get professional help creating your plans.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So whos ideas are we running with to come to this "morally right"? The word of God "GODs" word is where it stops. Its Christ.. to never lie. There is no white lie...or lie to help to save..

We only answer to God/Christ so.. what would He do?

Upvote 0

JW876

Aug 25, 2020
United Kingdom
✟22,286.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well .... if the roles were reversed .... and you were them .... what would you want?

Personally, I've always chosen honesty and integrity ... if I don't then the Lord is quick to remind me about it ;o)

Lies ... don't produce anything good.

Good way of thinking about it... I think they would want me to be quiet and let them get on with making the changes! Just still don't feel they should be made...

But yes, I can't help but agree with your views around honesty/integrity/lying. I've always struggled to lie anyway so it's unlikely I would be able to very genuinely, around being enthusiastic to continue in my current role, even if I feel it's the morally right thing to say...

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Really appreciate it

Upvote 0