Should their vehicles be impounded or booted?

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
no because the right of property ownership is not denied a person who is convicted of a crime. If they are caught driving on a suspended license the penalty goes up. If you impound the car you are forcing them to pay a daily storage fee which in a sense would be stealing their property. Most people do not have their cars paid for so they would default on their loans. If say you got suspended for two years you could sell your car and Uber or something but it is still your car.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
probably a better solution would be for the DMV to retrieve the car license plates and hold them during the time that their driving privileges were suspended. And a notice should be placed on their DMV record so that they couldn't get new plates during that time either.

That should really cut down on the temptation to go out driving on a suspended driver's license.

• Agree
Reactions: CDM Tucson
Upvote 0

Sam Davis

Nov 13, 2019
Northwest
✟9,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
probably a better solution would be for the DMV to retrieve the car license plates and hold them during the time that their driving privileges were suspended. And a notice should be placed on their DMV record so that they couldn't get new plates during that time either.

That should really cut down on the temptation to go out driving on a suspended driver's license.

Again, a family member may want to drive the car so that is not a good solution.

Upvote 0

Quackduck

Nov 5, 2019
Chester
✟18,685.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Should the vehicles of those whose driving privileges have been suspended due to violations be impounded, booted, or secured in some way during their suspension?

They would be in trouble is they did that here in the UK, and could even receive a prison sentence.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Should the vehicles of those whose driving privileges have been suspended due to violations be impounded, booted, or secured in some way during their suspension?
No. If I were to lose my license and the cars that were registered in my name were impounded, it would deny my wife and my children (whose driving privileges would not have been suspended) the ability to drive. And I would have no way to get to work if they could not drive me (no public transportation here and a 20 mile distance to work), which would serve any good purpose in protecting the public from my driving.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

A great idea! Thanks.

• Friendly
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Have the suspended drivers turn over their licenses and registrations and vehicle plates to be held at expense by the DMV.

I like the idea but it would prohibit family members from driving as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Driving while suspended should be a felony and the impoundment and sale of the car to cover costs of the court and fines.

Any outstanding bank note should be on the newly-minted felon.

This is what should happen to all DUIs as well.

• Agree
Upvote 0

StromRider

Feb 25, 2005
North Lauderdale, FL
✟129,264.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So is it the consensus here that convicted drunk drivers should have access to their vehicles during their revocation period?

Yes. For the fact that others have noted that family members, or even friends, might want/need access to the vehicle during that time. Why have a perfectly good vehicle sitting idle if it can be put to good use by someone else?

Our cars are in both mine and my wifes name. Why should a judgement against one prevent the other from using them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So is it the consensus here that convicted drunk drivers should have access to their vehicles during their revocation period?
It’s not that they should have access to their vehicles. It’s that the state shouldn’t have the power to take away everyone’s access to a drunk driver’s vehicle.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No.

Maybe yes.

Sometimes yes.

Usually no.

sometimes yes.

sometimes no.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
It’s not that they should have access to their vehicles. It’s that the state shouldn’t have the power to take away everyone’s access to a drunk driver’s vehicle.
But, but, but......

if everyone has access and takes just one piece each,

there won't be any vehicle left, will there !?!?

:)

• Haha
Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But, but, but......

if everyone has access and takes just one piece each,

there won't be any vehicle left, will there !?!?

:)
If the car’s value is only for parts, the drunk driver’s access to it isn’t really an issue, is it?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If the car’s value is only for parts, the drunk driver’s access to it isn’t really an issue, is it?
Ever see Tim the Tool Man Taylor ? SENTIMENTAL VALUE, even if a car is decades not running and no motor in it, can have GREAT VALUE !

Upvote 0