Should the world have kept slavery? Why or why not?

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nope Jesus Christ when he was here on Earth did not keep slaves. BUT! Like it or not when we all accepted Christ we became slaves to Christ and to God (Ephesians 6:6). We were saved to do God's will and his works here on Earth (and not our own will) (Ephesians 2:10) and after we die and this sinless world is over, to perfectly obey and be with God for all of eternity. That's why we were created. Humans (and ALL of God's creations) were created to serve God. This is just a historical fact. Hence why God allowed slavery for so many years because slavery in it's purest and right form was not a wrong or bad thing. When God gives us new bodies then this will not become such a hard to accept reality and we will serve God without question for all of eternity.

Never quite said I wanted to be a slave. Although if I was given room and board and free food in exchange for doing a couple of chores I would probably gladly do it. I asked if abolishing slavery was the right thing. It seems that most of the people on CF agree in the abolition of slavery and some of them agree that slavery should have never been abolished. I'm not the only person here advocating slavery and I'm not even pro slavery. I just merely asked a question.

I also seemed to point out that it was mostly the Americans that mistreated their slaves. Both Abraham and Solomon were two examples from the Bible that did NOT mistreat their slaves. So to say that ALL slave owners mistreated their slaves is factually incorrect. Especially when there are multiple instances of "correct" treatment of slaves in the Bible for us to look at.
You claimed you are a slave of Christ. I do not believe you. Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. The truth set people free. A slave was not free. A servant was free to quit and leave if someone else offered better terms of employment.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟919,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This deserves another :doh:

Really? Name a single verse of scripture that says that it's wrong or that we are not allowed to own a slave or that it's a sin even from just ONE verse of scripture and I'll claim your facepalm noteworthy and I'll retract my statement and say that slavery is wrong and that mankind had no right to keep slaves over the years. Otherwise, please kindly keep your mocking and ridicule to yourself. Oh that's right, you can't. So why are you so butthurt over what God said that mankind could have and that mankind has had for well over 5,000 years now?

There was NOTHING wrong with them owning slaves because mankind was given that right by God. I've already named MANY verses in the Bible supporting slavery. I don't have to link them again. But the Bible also taught/teaches that we should treat our slaves with kindness and respect, I've also linked those verses and people for the most part, have obeyed that command throughout history. So therefore, I don't really understand what's wrong with you and why you are attacking me. If you are so angry with what God has said, take it up with him not me.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟919,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You claimed you are a slave of Christ. I do not believe you. Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. The truth set people free. A slave was not free. A servant was free to quit and leave if someone else offered better terms of employment.

It's not just me, Paul and the apostles claimed it and it's taught throughout the Bible that we were created to obey God as every other creation of God's. What would make mankind any different than the angels or any other creation of God's? We've already provided you with scriptural proof and you're capable of reading, yes?

Sorry, I'm just in a REALLY bad mood this morning and don't have the time nor the patience this morning to argue with people about things that are DIRECTLY stated in the Bible. Again, if you don't like it take it up with God.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
....neither did he create it.

But that's not what the subject was. I was addressing the OP's question about original slavery as shown in the bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That nevertheless sidesteps the issue here.
We're raised and educated to believe that anything to do with slavery is the ultimate epitome of evil. If I were to judge our history, the popular narrative is to sell a very VERY shallow understanding of slavery.

Just imagine yourself in a apocalyptic world in charge of a number of people. What are you going to pay them with other than food and water. Slavery can be a fair exchange of goods and services.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the Mosaic Law permitted chattel slavery of non-Jews by Jews as well as debt slavery of Jews to other Jews.

What I said before was "God did not create Jews to be chattel to other Jews, but He did permit Jews to become indebted to other Jews."

One of the things that should become clear as one contemplates the Mosaic Covenant with the New Testament is that the Mosaic Covenant was the Lord's first formal code for a people who were basically Bronze Age riffraff that had a long way to go before becoming the kind of people the Lord ultimately wanted as His light to the world.

Moses: "I can't bear these people! Lord, if you love me, kill me now!" -- Numbers 11.

God: I have seen these people; the LORD said to Moses; and they are a stiff-necked people. Now leave me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them. Then I will make you into a great nation. -- Exodus 32

These were not people that were going to be made into a morally perfect 21st Century Modern Civilization. The Mosaic Law does contain moral compromises. We get an explanation of the moral compromises within the Mosaic Law even from Jesus:

"Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning." -- Matthew 19

Matthew 5 itself is a virtual repudiation of the moral compromises of the Mosaic Law, compromises made because those Bronze Age people were not ready for better behavior.

Compare the Mosaic Law with the earlier law of Hammurabi or the contemporary laws of Egypt, and we see a tremendously more advanced treatment of slaves (as well as women, for that matter) in the Mosaic Law.

So what we see in Leviticus 25 is the same "baby step" we see in Deuteronomy 24 that Jesus referenced with respect to divorce. Their hearts were too hard to become perfect, but they could take a baby step: Don't enslave your fellow Israelite as chattel.
This is called "progressive revelation."

Incidentally, with specific regard to Philemon and Onesimus, even Leviticus 25 was fully valid for Paul to use to direct Philemon to free Onesimus after Paul said "If he has done you any wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me." Even Leviticus 25 was sufficient to declare, at the very least, "Don't enslave your fellow Christian as chattel."

The Church had determined that slavery was prohibited in the first two centuries, and the Church had abandoned it. When Constantine gave the Church a stake an empire that depended on slavery, Church prohibition was blunted in favor of the needs of the empire.

But even in that time, the Church never gave slavery any theological justification. There were Popes who permitted it on the basis of the rights of nations--not theology.

Protestants arrived at the conclusion that slavery was sinful throughout the Protestant world, including the American south by the late 1700s. Even Southerners at the time acknowledged its sinfulness. That changed in the South--and only in the South--with the invention of the cotton gin, which made slavery wildly profitable.

It is only in the American south in the early 1800s that any theological justification has ever been posed by Christians, and that justification was obviously absurd.

"But Jesus didn't preach against slavery!"

Something important to note is that it was not (and is not) the mission of the Church to "fix" the Roman empire. If you read 1 Peter, you see that the Body of Christ operates as a "diplomatic mission" to the nations of the world, representing the Kingdom of Heaven.

The "slavery" permitted within the culture of believers, both OT and NT, was debt bondage, not chattel slavery. God did not create Jews to be chattel to other Jews, but He did permit Jews to become indebted to other Jews. Debt bondage is the same thing any of us might enter as an "unsecured loan." Like debt bondage in ancient times, that unsecured loan debt can be bought and sold by its owners.

However, debt bondage in those days had distinct and severe limits to prevent a "slave class" from ever occurring among Jews. As well, even while in debt bondage, the debtor could not be treated as chattel, but still was recognized as a Jew and chosen of God.

This continued in the New Testament. It was not the mission of the Body of Christ to "fix" the Roman Empire. The Body of Christ is a diplomatic mission to the nations of this world, and as any diplomatic mission, it must obey the laws of the host nation outside its gates. However, within the gates of the diplomatic mission, the laws of the home nation prevail.

That is how it is with the Body of Christ. Outside the context of the Body of Christ and its members, the host nation laws prevail. Within the context of the Body of Christ and its members, the laws of the Kingdom of Heaven prevail (this is referenced in practical detail in 1 Corinthians 5).

Before we get to the letter to Philemon, there are some other points to note. Slavery in the Roman empire occurred in two ways:

1. As a person kidnapped or taken as a war prisoner into slavery, becoming a chattel slave.
2. A freeborn man entering debt bondage or becoming a slave as a penalty for theft.

Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you; although if you can gain your freedom, do so. For the one who was a slave when called to faith in the Lord is the Lord's freed person; similarly, the one who was free when called is Christ's slave. You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of human beings. -- 1 Corinthians 7

Paul speaks of slavery as though it had an optional component. That was possible for debt bondage. It was not possible for chattel slavery. Paul could say, "Don't go into debt." Paul could not say, "Don't be kidnapped."

We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers; and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine -- 1 Timothy 1

Thus, the slave trade of kidnapping is made illegal within the Body of Christ, but going into debt is permitted.

And masters, treat your slaves in the same way. Do not threaten them, since you know that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no favoritism with him. -- Ephesians 6

To a Christian who had slaves this verse is a jaw dropper. If the slave owner considered the slave his personal property, this verse creates a different relationship. This verse changes everything.

Paul cannot eradicate slavery in the Roman empire, but he did totally change the relationship between masters and slaves within the Body of Christ.

Both persons are actually the slaves of the Lord. That makes the "slave" no longer the property of the "master," but his responsibility under the one who is the Master of both of them--for the Master sees no difference between them--they are both His property, both bought for a price.

This puts the master/slave relationship into Luke 12.

Now, to Paul's letter to Philemon. The first question to ask: What is the purpose of this letter? Latter apologists for slavery and those who wish to accuse Christianity of condoning slavery both claim the letter is nothing more than a plea from Paul for Philemon merely to be nice to Onesimus.

One would have to explain, though, why a mere "be nice" letter would have been cherished, preserved, copied, and shared among the early Christians and eventually considered of such significant doctrinal importance to have been included as part of the Canon.

The tone and deep emotion of the letter also belies the claim that its purpose is so shallow. If the point were merely "be nice," it's more likely Paul would have included it as a closing point to a congregational letter, such as he did to Euodia and Syntyche at the end of the letter to the Philippians.

No, this letter clearly has a singular and very important message personally to Philemon and doctrinally to the Body of Christ. It's purpose was to secure the freedom of Onesimus, and as preserved by the early Christians for doctrine, it was recognized as directive to the entire early church.

Indeed, history indicates that slavery among Christians had died out until Christianity became the national religion of the Empire...which depended economically on slavery. At that point, the empire was able to use the Church to validate all of its actions.

On to Philemon:

Therefore, although in Christ I could be bold and order you to do what you ought to do, yet I prefer to appeal to you on the basis of love.

Translation: I have a big stick, but I'm going to speak softly.

It is as none other than Paul; an old man and now also a prisoner of Christ Jesus

Translation: You know me--I am your elder and I suffer even now for the Body in which you are a member.

that I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, who became my son while I was in chains....I am sending him; who is my very heart back to you.

Translation: I consider Onesimus my own son--which is about the most important familial relationship possible in this society. Men value their sons more than they value their wives. Just want you to know how serious this is to me.

I would have liked to keep him with me so that he could take your place in helping me while I am in chains for the gospel. But I did not want to do anything without your consent, so that any favor you do would not seem forced but would be voluntary.

Translation: But there is a legal matter I need you to attend to.

Perhaps the reason he was separated from you for a little while was that you might have him back forever. no longer as a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a fellow man and as a brother in the Lord.

Translation: What part of "no longer as a slave" is hard to understand? "No longer as a slave" does not mean "be nice to him as a slave." "No longer as a slave" actually means "no longer as a slave."

If he has done you any wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me.

Translation: He was a slave because of a debt he owed you (which is the only bondage we allow among Christians)--so put that debt on my tab. That makes him free.

I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand. I will pay it back. not to mention that you owe me your very self.

Translation: Oh, and by the way, I won't mention that you owe me a whole lot more. Well, maybe I did mention it...so that cancels whatever Onesimus owed...and you're still in debt to me.

Confident of your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask.

Translation: Capish? Good. I expect you to do it.

And one thing more: Prepare a guest room for me, because I hope to be restored to you in answer to your prayers.

Translation: I'm going to drop by soon to make sure you did what I--ahem--"asked" you to do.

• Winner
Reactions: A Realist
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Just imagine yourself in a apocalyptic world in charge of a number of people. What are you going to pay them with other than food and water. Slavery can be a fair exchange of goods and services.
Not unless the person getting the food and water freely approves of the deal. And if he does, we aren't talking about slavery.

• Agree
Reactions: A_Thinker
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Before everybody rages at me all at once, let me explain. I'm talking about keeping slavery as it existed before the Americans enslaved the African Americans and treated them like cattle ...etc.

I am NOT saying we should have kept enslaving the blacks and I think that the Civil war was a push in the right direction and exposed the awful way in which Americans used to enslave the blacks. But, merely that we should have kept slavery as it existed since the beginning of time from before that. We shouldn't have abolished slavery just the way people treated their slaves and people are varying color at the time.

Technically slavery as it existed in Biblical times existed as the rich or middle class providing housing and food to the poor class was not only biblical but it was the way society ran for several thousands of years. They also used to treat their slaves with kindness and respect and treated them like one of their own and definitely not like the way Americans used to treat the African Americans. Once America came around slavery took a turn for the worse and I don't blame Lincoln one bit for starting the civil war. I'm not saying change the world and bring back slaves I'm just asking "should we have kept the slaves?"

I mean you could argue that slavery is out of date now and there isn't much for slaves to do anymore. But there is PLENTY that a slave could do for their master including things that a butler or a maid can do for us. And we don't have to pay like $200,000 a year for those services. Do you agree? Why or why not?
Jesus came TO FREE the captives and oppressed.

New King James Version
“The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed;

If you are a follower of Christ, you should honor and uphold this ethic.

• Agree
Reactions: expos4ever
Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Not unless the person getting the food and water freely approves of the deal. And if he does, we aren't talking about slavery.
If freely approving is even an option in such an apocalyptic world. Look at us today with our views on taxes, we can disapprove of our level of taxation but that doesn't change our circumstances and the available choices we have. So we can no more avoid taxes today than they could avoid slavery in the past.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Oy vey.

It is obvious beyond reason that slavery is inconsistent with the Gospel. The “it’s in the Bible” argument does not work.

So is God-sanctioned genocide.
What is obvious is the Gospel message is so powerful that it can also save someone who actually is a slave and that is in the Bible 1 Corinthians 7:22.

• Agree
Reactions: expos4ever
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
We are slaves to Christ and we are slaves to our mission. Is this not good enough?
We either slaves to sin leading to death, or slaves of God leading to life.
No one is free , we all belong to another.
Much better to belong to God, who is love, and a benevolent dictator - tyrant. Dictator - Tyrant means someone who has absolute power, authority over you. Satan is also an evil master. And only God is good.

Romans 6 teaches us about this spiritual slavery.

Upvote 0