Should the Vice President Recuse himself on January 3rd?

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Vice President Mike Pense is slated to swear in at least 2 new female members of Congress on January 3rd, 2019 while Holding a Koran.

This is part of his assigned duties as the Vice President of the United States.

1) Should he be forced to do this?

2) Should he recuse himself?

3) If he does this willingly, is he willfully sinning against God?

4) If he does this willingly, does this demonstrate that he personally believes swearing an oath upon the Koran is equally binding to swearing an oath upon the Holy Bible?

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Vice President Mike Pense is slated to swear in at least 2 new female members of Congress on January 3rd, 2019 while Holding a Koran.

Yep, it's his job.

if he doesn't want to do it he should resign, not recuse.

no more then using a Bible to swear on is a sin.

4) If he does this willingly, does this demonstrate that he personally believes swearing an oath upon the Koran is equally binding to swearing an oath upon the Holy Bible?
no, it shows he's doing his job. :wave:
tulc(thinks that was easy) :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Just a few thoughts. No one must take an oath on a holy book when they swear in. Most do, but it is not required for any office including the Presidency. With that said, they (those making the oath) may do so and their request must be reasonably honored. As for the VP, He could recuse himself although I'm not sure why he would. Administering an oath to someone in the presence of their choice of holy book is not a sin. As for your 4th question, it doesn't matter what the VP considers binding what matters is what the law considers binding and it is the oath that is considered binding, not what items may be present when the oath is made.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
A swearing ritual involves a person promising to fulfill certain duties and sometimes calling upon something they hold sacred as witness to their truthfulness. VP Pence is not swearing to anything but only conducting a ritual.

• Agree
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A swearing ritual involves a person promising to fulfill certain duties and sometimes calling upon something they hold sacred as witness to their truthfulness. VP Pence is not swearing to anything but only conducting a ritual.

I see...Kinda like how a Christian baker can’t rightly claim he/she would be participating in or promoting/condoning immoral sexual behavior or going against his/her own religion by baking a cake for a gay wedding?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I see...Kinda like how a baker isn’t participating in or promoting/condoning immoral sexual behavior by baking a cake for a gay wedding?

Correct.

Upvote 0

Danoh

Oct 11, 2011
✟40,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see...Kinda like how a Christian baker isn’t really participating in or promoting/condoning immoral sexual behavior or going against his own religion by baking a cake for a gay wedding?

Or how Christ wasn't really condoning the sins of those five thousand people who came to be fed by Him, when He fed them.

Absolutely amazing, the double-standard of so many who name the name of Christ.

Exactly why then, the Apostle of the Gentiles: Paul, had had to write to such Believers...

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

And...

Romans 12:17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. 12:18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

How? What focus would make that possible for the Believer?

A focus on...

Romans 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. 12:20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. 12:21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

But...

....there is often no reasoning with the Believer "double-minded" and therefore "unstable in all his ways" James 1:8.

Nevertheless, Romans 5:6-8 towards such enemies of that grace towards all for which their/our Saviour spilt His blood.

That is all one can often do as to such a Believer, where there is often no reasoning with such, let alone, based on the Scripture such claim to live by.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would not expect a Muslim to hold a Bible for me. And I think there are Muslims who would not want a non-Muslim to hold their Qur'an. I think a serious Muslim would want an imam to hold it and take the Muslim's oath, if the Muslim really means it. I am curious if they might feel released from the oath if an imam was not taking it from them.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What another nothin burger.

Upon taking office, senators-elect must swear or affirm that they will "support and defend the Constitution." The president of the Senate or a surrogate administers the oath to newly elected or re-elected senators. The oath is required by the Constitution; the wording is prescribed by law.

So are these Muslims elected to the US Senate? Don’t think so. Even so and if he had an issue a surrogate administers.

If the House of Representatives? It will be Speaker Nancy.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep, it's his job.

if he doesn't want to do it he should resign, not recuse.

no more then using a Bible to swear on is a sin.

no, it shows he's doing his job. :wave:
tulc(thinks that was easy) :oldthumbsup:
Completely ridiculous tulc see above.

Reactions: PeaceByJesus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see...Kinda like how a Christian baker can’t rightly claim he/she would be participating in or promoting/condoning immoral sexual behavior or going against his/her own religion by baking a cake for a gay wedding?
You mean according to your made up controversy and false equivalence.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I would not expect a Muslim to hold a Bible for me. And I think there are Muslims who would not want a non-Muslim to hold their Qur'an. I think a serious Muslim would want an imam to hold it and take the Muslim's oath, if the Muslim really means it. I am curious if they might feel released from the oath if an imam was not taking it from them.
Very few Muslims would be opposed to a non-Muslim holding their Quran. Out of curiosity would you be opposed to a non-Christian holding your Bible? As for feeling released from an oath unless an Imam presided over their oath it is very unlikely as keeping oaths is very important to Muslims. This may give you a little better understanding of how important keeping oaths is in Islam. I hope it helps answer any questions you may have.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or how Christ wasn't really condoning the sins of those five thousand people who came to be fed by Him, when He fed them.
Did any of them ask Him to provide a loaf and a few fish for a sinful event?

No of course not.

Yet another false equivalence.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought it to be an interesting question. Apparently some other folks around here agree..
Thank you for sharing your view that you don’t.

Upon taking office, senators-elect must swear or affirm that they will "support and defend the Constitution." The president of the Senate or a surrogate administers the oath to newly elected or re-elected senators. The oath is required by the Constitution; the wording is prescribed by law.

So are these Muslims elected to the US Senate?
Excellent point.
Thank you for clarifying my misunderstanding on the mechanics.

Don’t think so. Even so and if he had an issue a surrogate administers.

Any info on how often that has happened and under what circumstances?
That seems interesting.

So it will.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You mean according to your made up controversy and false equivalence.

Well now that we’ve established the scenario presented won’t happen, care to share how you feel if it were a Muslim Senator elect, since such is only a matter of time?

Do you believe the Vice President, Were he or she a Christian, should recuse him or herself from that swearing in? And if they didn’t would it be a sin against God to participate?

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green

So are these Muslims elected to the US Senate? Don’t think so. Even so and if he had an issue a surrogate administers.

I didn't catch that. I read "Pence" and automatically thought Senate. You are correct in pointing out that our new Muslim Congressmen are newly elected to the House.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well now that we’ve established the scenario presented won’t happen, care to share how you feel if it were a Muslim Senator elect, since such is only a matter of time?

Do you believe the Vice President, Were he or she a Christian, should recuse him or herself from that swearing in? And if they didn’t would it be a sin against God to participate?
Completely hypothetical. It would be more feasible such a refusal to swear someone in would stem from political differences than religious.

Reactions: PeaceByJesus
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,393.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

The President of the Senate doesn't individually swear in Senators. The incoming Class swears the oath together, and then Senators may choose to do a second ceremony as a photo op.

Upvote 0