Should the Ukrainian Orthodox Church gain autocephaly?

N

Nik0s

The recent conflict aside, it's clear that Ukraine and Russia both have their own national ans State identities. Greece, Cyprus and the EP all share a common history language and culture, but Greece and Cyprus are autocephalus churches. I think the time is right for the UOC to be granted autocephaly. This would also bring the schismatic "Kiev patriarchate" back into communion with world Orthodoxy. (or rather "should" bring it back into communion.)

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In all honesty, speaking as one who is a bit ignorant of the culture of both peoples, I don't see why there shouldn't be a Kiev Patriarch for Ukraine.

However, the problem that we face today is that the "Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Kiev Patriarchate" is basically founded by a group of nationalists who jumped the gun and couldn't wait for the air to settle after Communism fell. I sometimes wonder if the schismatics had simply waited a bit, couldn't they have been an autocephalous body of Orthodoxy today?

Upvote 0
Dec 14, 2010
San Juan del Río
✟26,797.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In all honesty, speaking as one who is a bit ignorant of the culture of both peoples, I don't see why there shouldn't be a Kiev Patriarch for Ukraine.

However, the problem that we face today is that the "Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Kiev Patriarchate" is basically founded by a group of nationalists who jumped the gun and couldn't wait for the air to settle after Communism fell. I sometimes wonder if the schismatics had simply waited a bit, couldn't they have been an autocephalous body of Orthodoxy today?

Russian patriarchate claim to be the same as the successor of the bishops of Kiev where the russ converted to christianity, when Kiev was invaded the see was then moved to Moscow.

Almost the same as the Pope in Avignon, as the bishop of Rome.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

EC - the really interesting fact that's emerging now is that in many UOC -MP Churches Patriarch Kirill is not commemorated.
Yes the whole situation is rather messy at present

Upvote 0
N

Nik0s

Agreed 100%. The same can also be said about the so called "Macedonian Orthodox Church" in the FYROM

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Russian patriarchate claim to be the same as the successor of the bishops of Kiev where the russ converted to christianity, when Kiev was invaded the see was then moved to Moscow.

Almost the same as the Pope in Avignon, as the bishop of Rome.

Alonzo, This maybe one time where I am in partial agreement with you. Regardless of the actual historical account the Moscow Patriarchate is the Kievan one.

The Ukranians should have their own autocephalous church, but the president of such a synod should not be granted title of patriarch. This title has been given out so much that its pretty much meaningless, but it still makes no sense.

When the Church of Greece gained autocephaly in the 1850's, her archbishop never fathomed of being labeled a patriarch. The greeks knew that their patriarch resides in Constantinople. The presiding heirarch of Greece is styled Archbishop of Athens and all of Greece.

The title of patriarch presupposes an expanded jurisdiction not usually tied to immediate political/national borders and the seat of the episcopacy is a common center of activity of that expanded jurisdiction.

Upvote 0