Should the church have a louder political voice?

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The archbishop of York, Stephen Cottrell, wrote in an article recently that Britain has learned to live with wrongs when it should be trying to change them and that it must reset its compass, from housing to wages:

“Our compass has slipped; we’ve allowed ourselves to believe that things can’t change, that this is just the way the world is. Politics has, I think, shrunk. There’s a loss of vision about what the world could be like.”

He argues that there shouId not be a separation between the church and politics or faith and politics or, for that matter, anything and politics:

"It’s about how we inhabit the world – and everybody and every organisation and every community has a voice and a stake.”

He said that the church should have a political voice because it's at the heart of what the calling of the church is:

"Loving your neighbour is a profoundly political statement... Is there anybody who doesn’t think that it’s a scandal that there are so many homeless people on our streets? But we’ve learned to live with it. We’ve learned to accommodate things that we know are wrong, which it would be possible to do something about… If we think it’s right that everyone should have health as a matter of right, regardless of ability to pay, shouldn’t it be the same for housing and possibly for a basic wage?”

Most people are finding life very tough at the moment to with Covid, politial divison and all the inequality that's around in almost every area of life. Do do you think that as a church we need to make Christianity more relevant to people's lives by giving a vision of hope through speaking out more on these issues and centring on loving your neighbour?

Reactions: PloverWing

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The archbishop of York, Stephen Cottrell, wrote in an article recently that Britain has learned to live with wrongs when it should be trying to change them and that it must reset its compass, from housing to wages:

“Our compass has slipped; we’ve allowed ourselves to believe that things can’t change, that this is just the way the world is. Politics has, I think, shrunk. There’s a loss of vision about what the world could be like.”

He argues that there shouId not be a separation between the church and politics or faith and politics or, for that matter, anything and politics:

"It’s about how we inhabit the world – and everybody and every organisation and every community has a voice and a stake.”

He said that the church should have a political voice because it's at the heart of what the calling of the church is:

"Loving your neighbour is a profoundly political statement... Is there anybody who doesn’t think that it’s a scandal that there are so many homeless people on our streets? But we’ve learned to live with it. We’ve learned to accommodate things that we know are wrong, which it would be possible to do something about… If we think it’s right that everyone should have health as a matter of right, regardless of ability to pay, shouldn’t it be the same for housing and possibly for a basic wage?”

Most people are finding life very tough at the moment to with Covid, politial divison and all the inequality that's around in almost every area of life. Do do you think that as a church we need to make Christianity more relevant to people's lives by giving a vision of hope through speaking out more on these issues and centring on loving your neighbour?
No, church and state should not be one. We should all have the freedom of religion, once you start allowing rules and laws made by the church it takes away the free will God gave us. That said, it is written its going to happen so just another sign Jesus is coming soon. God bless

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No, church and state should not be one.

I don't think the archbishop was saying that the church and state should be one but that the church, or any other organisation or any individual, should not be scared to encroach on the political domain. Politics affects everyone and every aspect of life and is too important to be left to professional politicians! As the archbishop intimated, Jesus's command to love your neighbour is about as political as it gets.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't think the archbishop was saying that the church and state should be one but that the church, or any other organisation or any individual, should not be scared to encroach on the political domain. Politics affects everyone and every aspect of life and is too important to be left to professional politicians! As the archbishop intimated, Jesus's command to love your neighbour is about as political as it gets.
It opens Pandora’s box. The pope is already making his rounds with world political leaders.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It opens Pandora’s box. The pope is already making his rounds with world political leaders.
It seems the law only seems to matter when it's obligating people to observe the sabbath.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It's not unheard of that a politician has no clue what he's talking about.
It happens here in the US even.
Intravenous injection of household bleach - ScienceDirect

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't understand your point, sorry.
It's a US thing regarding the competency of a political leader. Sometimes they are clueless with regard to what they are talking about and blind to well-accepted facts.

Here in the US, we left England because the church was too involved in politics. We know the problems that it causes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's a US thing regarding the competency of a political leader. Sometimes they are clueless with regard to what they are talking about and blind to facts.

Ah okay. It's also a UK thing then!

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I don't really understand. What is your concern about that?
The SDA expect the Catholic Church to force governments to ban Saturday worship some day soon. They really do worry about that. Some day soon.

Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The SDA expect the Catholic Church to force governments to ban Saturday worship some day soon. They really do worry about that. Some day soon.

Okay, thanks for the info. I don't know anything about it but I can't that happening re. the church or governments.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do do you think that as a church we need to make Christianity more relevant to people's lives by giving a vision of hope through speaking out more on these issues and centering on loving your neighbour?

Churches do that now through preaching, teaching, and outreach.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't really understand. What is your concern about that?
Do you want to be told how to worship or what doctrine we are forced to go along with? We are given free will for a reason. When we start introducing laws around religion that may initially seem good, what's next?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There should be a separation between Church and State, but not necessarily between Church and "politics." Specifically, however, the Church's involvement needs to be confined to advising its people on moral principles; they then can apply those Christian principles to society and to daily living.

"Loving your neighbour is a profoundly political statement.
Okay.

Is there anybody who doesn’t think that it’s a scandal that there are so many homeless people on our streets? But we’ve learned to live with it.
Alerted to the need of those people, Church members can then take steps towards making the situation of the homeless better.

If we think it’s right that everyone should have health as a matter of right, regardless of ability to pay, shouldn’t it be the same for housing and possibly for a basic wage?”
We don't think stealing is right, even if for a presumably good cause. But if a Churchman thinks the poor are underserved, thanks perhaps to his Church's teaching, that's a perfect opportunity for him to act by contributing to the needy from out of his own bounty.

That is what Christ urged on his listeners, not that they should try to change Caesar's government.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Okay, thanks for the info. I don't know anything about it but I can't that happening re. the church or governments.
It's a slippery slope. It will be introduced as a law for the environment, a national day of rest. Will it be on God's day of rest Exodus 20:8-11 of course not. While it sounds good in theory it turns into a persecuting law according to Revelations.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I believe the church should be non-partisan when it comes to supporting political groups or its leaders.
I prefer to live in a democracy rather than a theocracy.
Time and time again, history has taught us that theocratic governments create instability and injustice, often resulting in the most obscene acts against humanity.
Over the years, we have experienced the fruits of living in democracy. We live side-by-side with people who do not always agree with us. They may even have beliefs that are different to our own, whether political, sociological or religious. Yet, for the most part, we co-exist peacefully. We work with one another, and to a large extent we share our lives with one another, and recognise that we need each other, Instead of being enemies, we have become friends. We all share one thing in common, the fact that we are human, and we have discovered that our world, and our enjoyment of all things spiritual, is most enhanced when we appreciate the sheer beauty, diversity and uniqueness of everything that God has made, including our fellow human beings.
Democracy gives each and everyone of us the right to share our voice, and allows us to share our views on how we wish to be governed.
Democracy does not threaten the voice of the church, on matters of theology or social justice. If anything, it enhances it. People have the opportunity to share what they think and feel.
I think as human beings we have very short memories. We forget that hundreds of years ago, when the church was, by large, the ruling establishment, many Christians lived their lives in fear. Even the slightest deviation in thought and practice from the ruling elite would have resulted in such Christians being tried, imprisoned and executed most horribly.
Thank God for democracy. Thank God that we have the opportunity to share our views, on how we think the world can be a better and much fairer place.

Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There should be a separation between Church and State, but not necessarily between Church and "politics."

That's a good distinction. The church should be separate from the State but not from politics. Politics is the business of all including archbishops and pope's, as it was of Jesus.

Alerted to the need of those people, Church members can then take steps towards making the situation of the homeless better.

I agree. The archbishop also wants to include the church institution in this endeavour and advocate using the very extensive property of the Church of England to provide shelter for the homeless

That is what Christ urged on his listeners, not that they should try to change Caesar's government

Great question. Should the church seek to change political structures or limit itself to individual action? My own view is that many of the issues we face today are globally systemic in scope ( Covid, climate change, the threat to democracy in our post-truth world) and therefore require not just a nationional but an international political response. Other issues such as loneliness and spiritual poverty need a local and personal solution.

Upvote 0