the Great Basin
✟324,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This article, written by experts on the subject, seems to suggest that SS for retirees is unfair to poor kids. Please read it and render your opinion.

High Child Poverty Is A Deliberate Policy Choice

On one hand, I can understand the issue with child poverty -- though it is an issue it seems most conservatives have little interest in. The mantra I hear constantly here is how the government shouldn't "reward" people who don't want to work and, if you give benefits for children, then the adults will likely use the bulk of those benefits for themselves, leaving the children to suffer. I bring this up solely because this appears to be a conservative group -- so their baseline idea is that any increase in spending in one area must be cut from elsewhere.

The one other fact they ignore completely is that most recipients of Social Security have paid into the program and, if the program had been managed correctly, most of the spending now should be offset by the Social Security fund. So it isn't completely fair to complain about how "good" Seniors have it when the fact is -- particularly with the various limits placed on Social Security programs over the last few decades (increasing the retirement age, adding stiffer income limits to receive benefits, etc).

I'm not sure there are any good answers here that will satisfy "both" sides.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟859,053.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I bring this up solely because this appears to be a conservative group -- so their baseline idea is that any increase in spending in one area must be cut from elsewhere.
Which is just saying that they know math. What's an alternative baseline idea?
...if the program had been managed correctly,...
That's always the excuse for failure: "Real Social Security has never been tried."

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟276,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Since Social Security has a separate source of funding, it doesn't even make sense.

That's always the excuse for failure: "Real Social Security has never been tried."

It has been tried, and it has worked - when it was better managed.

• Optimistic
Reactions: ICONO'CLAST
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟859,053.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It has been tried, and it has worked - when it was better managed.
The Soviet Union "worked" for around 70 years. Theft and redistribution as policy is simply unsustainable, as well as immoral.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟324,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Soviet Union "worked" for around 70 years. Theft and redistribution as policy is simply unsustainable, as well as immoral.

Except it isn't technically "theft" -- it is at worst a mandatory insurance/retirement account, though more like a "forced" retirement plan. The only reason you think of it as "theft" is because the money was "stolen" by the government to pay for other programs, and now the government is having to use tax money to pay the stolen money back (plus interest).

Though I suppose that since "redistribution" as a policy is unsustainable means we'll be seeing all the insurance carriers declare bankruptcy any day now? Beyond which, why do you care -- since giving money to poor children is literally, to use your words, "theft and redistribution"; which per your belief is immoral and unsustainable.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟859,053.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Except it isn't technically "theft" -- it is at worst a mandatory insurance/retirement account, though more like a "forced" retirement plan. The only reason you think of it as "theft" is because the money was "stolen" by the government to pay for other programs, and now the government is having to use tax money to pay the stolen money back (plus interest).
No, technically it is theft. Legally it's not. And I think of it as theft because just like street criminals, the government will use force and do something bad to me if I don't hand over my money.
Though I suppose that since "redistribution" as a policy is unsustainable means we'll be seeing all the insurance carriers declare bankruptcy any day now? Beyond which, why do you care -- since giving money to poor children is literally, to use your words, "theft and redistribution"; which per your belief is immoral and unsustainable.
Since you used that word, "literally", would you re-quote me and underline the part where I said giving money to poor children is literally theft and immoral? On the contrary, I believe it's very moral for you to give as much of your money as you want. Just don't give so much that you become poor like them, which is where that funny math aspect comes in.

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...if you give benefits for children, then the adults will likely use the bulk of those benefits for themselves, leaving the children to suffer.

I hope you don't mind if I rephrase that: If you give benefits for the nation, then the politicians will likely use the bulk of those benefits for themselves, leaving the nation to suffer.

Whatever they may say on either side of the aisle, they don't care about the seniors or the children or anyone in between, except themselves.

• Winner
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I hope you don't mind if I rephrase that: If you give benefits for the nation, then the politicians will likely use the bulk of those benefits for themselves, leaving the nation to suffer.

Whatever they may say on either side of the aisle, they don't care about the seniors or the children or anyone in between, except themselves.

This is largely true, as most Congresspersons leave Congress with great wealth, or the promise of great wealth from the companies they will then lobby for.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How about cutting the tax cuts for the Uber wealthy? And like, spend it on children after they are born.

Millions of middle class Americans also benefit from those same tax breaks; most notably the low tax rate on long-term capital gains.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Millions of middle class Americans also benefit from those same tax breaks; most notably the low tax rate on long-term capital gains.
And that means a teeny amount eventually trickles down to children that need it. Forgive me for being underwhelmed.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟6,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Social security and medicare are "earned benefits" that working people have paid into with every pay check. I suppose getting old can be considered a choice as people could just die instead.

Older people having a secure source of income takes the burden off working families that now don't have to support elderly parents as well as young children. When people retire, they free up jobs and the attendant income for younger people.

As other people here have pointed out, instead of taking from the elderly poor to benefit the young poor, why not take from the wealthy corporations who aren't real people despite the SCOTUS ruling.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most of the grandparents I know do lots to help their grandkids, helping with preschool, child care, college funds, braces...and more.

So why would such a change be needed?
Old people are just living to long.

• Haha
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟320,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This article, written by experts on the subject, seems to suggest that SS for retirees is unfair to poor kids. Please read it and render your opinion.

High Child Poverty Is A Deliberate Policy Choice

In a word, no. One of the most serious problems facing social security is that it has been expanded to cover people it was never meant to cover. If you want some other program create some other program.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You hit the nail on the head.

Upvote 0