• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Should religions offer a money back guarantee?

Discussion in 'Christianity and World Religion' started by Carbon, May 27, 2019.

1. Yes, any honest business will happily refund an unhappy customer.

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. No, impossible. Too many complications.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. No, undesirable. Bad incentive, money should be given freely to a church with no hope of refund.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Maybe, depends on the circumstance.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Carbon

Carbon Wondering around...

+66
    Atheist
    Married
    Churches collect money. Lots of people become atheists after years of paying tithes. If a person is dissatisfied with the “product” or “service”, should the church give them a refund?

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. FIRESTORM314

FIRESTORM314 Well-Known Member Supporter

+374
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Now who is a Silly Billy :)

3. -57

-57 Well-Known Member

+1,342
    Christian
    Private
    If I donate to a science museum then after many years discover evolutionism is not correct should I get my money back?

4. Carbon

+66
    Atheist
    Married
    Most museums have refund and cancellation policies. Check your local listings, I likely just saved you some money.

5. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+7,591
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    If a religion promises you something on the condition that you give it money and you're naive enough to believe on that basis that you've been cheated out of promised blessings, well...first I'd wonder how you could possibly know (most religions that last are smart enough to promise things in the afterlife, not now, when you can actually complain when you don't get them), but after that, after you wake up, you should consider it a lesson learned. The televangelist's private jet isn't going to help him "spread the word of Jesus", unless he considers himself to be said word, and sometimes the word wants to quickly and clandestinely vacation in Aruba to take all the stress off of...y'know...being the word.

All that is to say that I think in some extreme cases, yes, they should be obliged to pay back their donors. A better way to put it would be to say that I think that religious fraud exists (and so do legal organizations that monitor it and help victims of it, like The Trinity Foundation), and should be prosecuted the same as any other kind of fraud is. Bernie Madoff, Creflo Dollar, etc. aren't so different from one another. Only the pretext is different.

6. -57

-57 Well-Known Member

+1,342
    Christian
    Private
    After many years. Isn't that what you implied?

I can understand if you didn't like the visit to the museum that afternoon.

7. MehGuy

MehGuy Free speech warrior degenerate Supporter

+6,518
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Yeah.. I want that 75 cents back.. :mad:.. lol.

8. Carbon

+66
    Atheist
    Married
    The Maybe button is there for those who want to offer a conditional yes. Feel free to specify your conditions. The scenario of a late convert to atheism is merely one of many relevant cases.

9. Ignatius the Kiwi

Ignatius the Kiwi Newbie

+1,259
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Treating religion like a consumable product seems ill advised.

10. dzheremi

+7,591
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    And yet I think the OP has a point insofar as many do that.

11. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+15,788
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    If churches are operating as for-profit institutions with the selling of product, then sure. But with very few exceptions that simply isn't how churches work. Donating money to a non-profit, which is what giving to a church is equivalent to, does not entail refunds. If I donate a thousand dollars to Habitat for Humanity and then later decide I disagree with them or don't like them, I can't demand a refund of my donation. As far as I know there is no legal grounds to demand a refund from a nonprofit organization. Though a nonprofit may refund a donation as a matter of PR.

When I give money to my church I'm not paying for something. I'm freely donating money in good faith that my church will use those donations for certain purposes, including paying property taxes, utility bills, helping to pay full time church staff, as well as it being used for the good of the community: food, blankets, clothing, medicine for the poor, the hungry, and the sick. My church isn't a business, and I wouldn't want it to act like one.

-CryptoLutheran

12. dzheremi

+7,591
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    A properly-functioning church, in this respect, will outline its projects/goals, set a reasonable budget for them, and then ask people to donate to them as they see fit. That's why I still get appeals every so often from the monastery of St. Shenouda the Archimandrite in NY, because I stayed there for about two weeks five years ago and, yes, donated what was for me a substantial amount of money (I had budgeted for a hotel because I wasn't sure how full the monastery might be, so when I ended up staying there for the duration I just gave them the entire hotel budget as a donation, and on top of that I purchased as much as I could afford from their bookstore). So I guess I'm on their list of donors even though I live on the other side of the country (and sadly cannot afford to donate, with rent that is greater than 80% of my monthly budget...ahhh, yes, I remember California now! :(), which I'm fine with, because I like reading about what they do and what their plans are. You should never feel pressure beyond that of your own conscience to give to any organization, religious or not, and any organization which claims to be a Christian church while not operating in an above-the-board manner about its finances (*cough cough* LDS 'Church' *cough*) is, in fact, a scam to one degree or another.

13. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+15,788
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    "and any organization which claims to be a Christian church while not operating in an above-the-board manner about its finances ... is, in fact, a scam to one degree or another."

Bingo. If a church isn't being transparent about where money goes and is used for that is a big, bright, flashing red flag to stay far away.

And then there's nonsense like this, apparently the pastor "dies" and can only be brought back to life after a certain amount of money has been given.

-CryptoLutheran

14. Noxot

Noxot tohu and bohu Supporter

+2,014
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I think that people should stop being suckers and start using their money in meaningful ways. Do religious things that spark your spirit. It is hard to regret spending money on people you like or love regardless if u later become an atheist.