Should Queen Elizabeth II step aside so the real king of England can take the throne?

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Only watched the first 30 seconds, but na I'm cool how it is. :p

Perhaps when the Queen dies, it might be nice to have a Republic. I don't feel that strongly though.

The Royals do generate revenue. Would as many tourists come to see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, or the Crown Jewels at the Tower, or Windsor Castle, if the royal family was defunct? I'll bet the money brought into the UK economy from royal-related tourism exceeds the cost to the British taxpayers of supporting the monarchy.

And BTW, except for the Queen, don't all the Royals pay taxes now?

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The Royals do generate revenue. Would as many tourists come to see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, or the Crown Jewels at the Tower, or Windsor Castle, if the royal family was defunct? I'll bet the money brought into the UK economy from royal-related tourism exceeds the cost to the British taxpayers of supporting the monarchy.

I don't deny that they may make money for us, but my problem is more with the principle of it. Is it really about money? If it is, then we are selling the highest status in the country (and our representation) for tourism money. That sound pretty low when phrased like that. What will we sell next to tourists... our flag design, our national anthem?

I like the nice culture and tradition of it... at least with the Queen. But is it really right to have the leader of our country based on birth, rather than election? It might be nice, but it does seem unprincipled.

I don't know. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
The Royals do generate revenue. Would as many tourists come to see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, or the Crown Jewels at the Tower, or Windsor Castle, if the royal family was defunct?
Yes. Of course they would. Countries who become republics retain their history. Why do so many people visit the Palace of Versailles? There's no royalty living there.

Maybe more people would go to Buckingham Palace if they were allowed inside, to view one of the world's premier art collections?

I would also like to know why, if this family are such a draw for tourists, there is only 1 Royal site in Britain's top 20 most visited tourist sites? It's Windsor Castle, btw, at no. 17. Behind legoland, meaning that Windsor Castle is not even the most visited site in Windsor!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

apache1

Feb 11, 2012
✟16,526.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They are. If we were to have a President, I'd want them to be rather similarly powerless.
James Bond for "President" of England! In his cabinet, appoint Mick Jagger, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, "Sir" Paul McCartney, and Ringo Starr. Whenever someone would run against James Bond, when Bond defeats him for the Presidency, have the Stones play "You Can't Always Get What You Want", or get Sir Paul to play "Live and Let Die" (well, you don't literally want opponent to die, but his chances of winning die)^_^

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
James Bond for "President" of England! In his cabinet, appoint Mick Jagger, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, "Sir" Paul McCartney, and Ringo Starr. Whenever someone would run against James Bond, when Bond defeats him for the Presidency, have the Stones play "You Can't Always Get What You Want", or get Sir Paul to play "Live and Let Die" (well, you don't literally want opponent to die, but his chances of winning die)^_^

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

apache1

Feb 11, 2012
✟16,526.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

007 over the years has sure done a great job of protecting queen and country. The James Bond series has been around since good old Ian Fleming wrote it in the 40's or 50's or whenever was originally written, and The Queen has been ruling almost all those years and is still going strong, like the Energizer Bunny.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Yeah. Why would anyone ever visit that dreary soggy island if it werent for The Royals???

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't get this, so the real KING can take the throne? Britain has a history of matriarchy, whoever the crown prince marries or is married to would be the head of the royal family. If she is dead or he isn't married (at his age I find the latter unlikely), then his oldest daughter or whoever marries his son would be queen. If he doesn't have kids, then the oldest female in the family would still likely take the thrown (immediate family). Real King? Ha, Britain loves its queens, the men are just accessories.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I don't get this, so the real KING can take the throne? Britain has a history of matriarchy, whoever the crown prince marries or is married to would be the head of the royal family. If she is dead or he isn't married (at his age I find the latter unlikely), then his oldest daughter or whoever marries his son would be queen. If he doesn't have kids, then the oldest female in the family would still likely take the thrown (immediate family). Real King? Ha, Britain loves its queens, the men are just accessories.

Not sure what you are talking about, as the last 4 monarchs before 'Lizzy' were kings, as well as 5 kings before her matriarchial predeccessor, Queen Victoria. Of the 12 monarchs of Great Britain, only 3 were female. Are we talking about the same planet?

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
007 over the years has sure done a great job of protecting queen and country. The James Bond series has been around since good old Ian Fleming wrote it in the 40's or 50's or whenever was originally written, and The Queen has been ruling almost all those years and is still going strong, like the Energizer Bunny.

The Energizer Bunny keeps her going. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0