Dallas
✟883,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was reading an article about Australia’s new law stating that Priests must report confessions of child sexual abuse to the authorities. The church leaders refuse to comply with the new law and I’m curious how people here feel about this situation. I believe the priests have taken an oath of confidentiality concerning confessions which is understandable. The Bible does teach us that we must not defy the local authorities because they have been put in place by God. Personally I think the crimes should be reported because both the person who committed the crime needs help and the child also needs help. What are your thoughts?

• Agree
Reactions: Kerensa

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is a real catch-22 here.

Confession is important sacramentally, and there MUST be trust that the Confessor can be trusted.

However, protecting those who commit crimes (when the crimes can continue to damage the innocent) is also a problem.

My own opinion is that confessors ought to require the person to turn themselves in. Confession is nothing without repentance is worthless - just mouthing words. And if a person repents, he must be willing to turn from his sins. So - in my opinion - absolution ought to be withheld on condition of turning himself in.

That way the priest isn't breaking confidence. But neither can a person who preys on others get "absolution" and hide behind the seal of confession.

Even this brings up some nuances of problems. But protecting the innocent is important as well.

I expect an Orthodox priest would generally have a tendency to follow this reasoning anyway. Confession is to Christ, the priest is only a witness. Absolution is meaningless and there is no sacramental grace without true repentance.

But confession is also often a means of guidance for us, and help in overcoming our weaknesses. It is important for the one confessing, in a number of ways.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
They absolutely must not report it, and mustn't be coerced by governments to do so. What happens in the confessional is between the penitent, the priest, and God. I will say that a sign of true repentance would be turning one's self in- if they can't bring themselves to do so, I seriously doubt that they're contrite. It would indicate a fear of the human judge, but not the Just Judge.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It has been a very long time since I was in a confessional. However, if I remember correctly I was then under the impression that to be forgiven one was required to do penance for one's sin. Whether that is correct or not I do not know but that was what I was lead to believe at the time. If a priest cannot report the crime, and I do not think a priest in good conscious can simply ignore a solemn oath to God to never divulge what has been confessed, then the only other course of action would be to require as penance that the offender turn him/herself in.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟883,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a real catch-22 here.

Confession is important sacramentally, and there MUST be trust that the Confessor can be trusted.

However, protecting those who commit crimes (when the crimes can continue to damage the innocent) is also a problem.

My own opinion is that confessors ought to require the person to turn themselves in. Confession is nothing without repentance is worthless - just mouthing words. And if a person repents, he must be willing to turn from his sins. So - in my opinion - absolution ought to be withheld on condition of turning himself in.

That way the priest isn't breaking confidence. But neither can a person who preys on others get "absolution" and hide behind the seal of confession.

Even this brings up some nuances of problems. But protecting the innocent is important as well.

I expect an Orthodox priest would generally have a tendency to follow this reasoning anyway. Confession is to Christ, the priest is only a witness. Absolution is meaningless and there is no sacramental grace without true repentance.

But confession is also often a means of guidance for us, and help in overcoming our weaknesses. It is important for the one confessing, in a number of ways.

Absolutely in fact the church leader in the article said the same thing. He said he would tell the person if he is truly remorseful for his sin he will go with the priest to turn himself in. I think the child should also definitely have some counseling and the parents definitely need to know.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely in fact the church leader in the article said the same thing. He said he would tell the person if he is truly remorseful for his sin he will go with the priest to turn himself in. I think the child should also definitely have some counseling and the parents definitely need to know.
It's a heartbreaking thing.

Better yet that a person could identify such a temptation and be rid of it (or at least learn to restrain himself from sin) before it was ever acted on.

One time a person confessed to me that they were tempted by my daughter. THAT took a lot of ... restraint ... for me to deal with. But I prayed for the person. And kept my daughter safe. And as far as I know that person has never acted on any such impulse. They were not given opportunity, and never sought access to children, btw.

If anything has happened, I do think the child needs to be taken care of, certainly.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,502,888.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I was reading an article about Australia’s new law stating that Priests must report confessions of child sexual abuse to the authorities. The church leaders refuse to comply with the new law and I’m curious how people here feel about this situation. I believe the priests have taken an oath of confidentiality concerning confessions which is understandable. The Bible does teach us that we must not defy the local authorities because they have been put in place by God. Personally I think the crimes should be reported because both the person who committed the crime needs help and the child also needs help. What are your thoughts?

If I may nuance this a bit...

"The church leaders" have not all refused to comply. Anglicans are complying. Catholics are in discussion about the limits of the seal of the confessional (whether it only applies to the sins of the penitent, or to everything said in confession; given that disclosures of abuse in confession are often made by the victim). I am not aware that the Orthodox have made any formal statement of their response, although I would be curious to know about it if they have.

I agree with Anastasia that the best way forward is to withhold absolution if someone who has sexually abused a child refuses to self-report. Repentance means being willing to do everything one can to set right the wrong one has done, and in this sort of case, that includes acknowledging the abuse that occurred.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟987,269.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

This law is not (yet) Australia wide but has been passed or is being considered in several Australian states. It's one of several hundred recommendations coming out of a five year investigation into institutional child abuse and institutional cover-up in Australia. It's worth noting that child abuse was found to be endemic to many Christian institutions - not just Catholic.

It might surprise you to hear that this type of law is not unique to Australia. In 2015, Ireland passed a similar law requiring that confessional confidence be breached to report child abuse. Ireland's law also came about as a consequence of lengthy investigations into child abuse.

There are also similar laws in the U.S.. Six U.S. States (plus Guam) have laws denying clergy penitent privilege in cases of child abuse or neglect (New Hampshire, West Virginia, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, and Texas).
OB

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,188.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
When it becomes known that criminal activities get reported, the criminals will just stop confessing them.

Now, I don't believe in confession, but for those who do, it would propably appear better that a criminal confesses than that he doesn't. Also, a pastor could steer someone towards therapy or other helpfull directions.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟935,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Now, I don't believe in confession, but for those who do, it would propably appear better that a criminal confesses than that he doesn't. Also, a pastor could steer someone towards therapy or other helpfull directions.

But then that therapist will have to report because we are mandatory reporters of child abuse and threats to harm to another person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The Bible does teach us that we must not defy the local authorities because they have been put in place by God.
In this case, I'd say the local authorities have overstepped their jurisdiction, as they also claim to practice separation of Church and State. If this is the case, the local authorities have become tyrants (breaking the very laws they pupport to uphold) and the Church is right to oppose them.

Personally I think the crimes should be reported because both the person who committed the crime needs help and the child also needs help. What are your thoughts?
I disagree with the idea of priests, but believe the principle exists so perpetrators of the vilest crimes could seek forgiveness for their sins (without necessarily involving the local authorities). In the event that a sinner is truly repentent, one would usually expect some sort of restitution would be paid.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟935,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Report serious crimes, no. Report to keep an intended victim from harm, yes.
Whats the difference?

There are no victim-less serious crimes.

I submit there is a difference between, "I robbed a gas station" and "I'm molesting my girlfriends child" or "I'm going to kill Sally because she rejected me."

The difference is past illegal acts vs. present or future acts where someone is being harmed or might be harmed.

• Agree
Reactions: Doctor.Sphinx
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I submit there is a difference between, "I robbed a gas station" and "I'm molesting my girlfriends child" or "I'm going to kill Sally because she rejected me."
Yes there are differences.

But the involvement of a victim is not one of them

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟935,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,449,797.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most priests I know say that they tell the person that without turning themselves in to authorities, there is no absolution. So they’re not getting a free pass by coming to confession.

I agree with that concept, but what, practically speaking, does "no absolution mean?" That's an honest question--what happens then?

In my mind, it seems "no absolution" in a case like this should result in a Matthew 18/1 Corinthians 5 response...which would essentially result in "outing" the offense, because to make it work, that congregation and all other congregations would have to know about it.

Upvote 0