elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I never really specified the age of the person who seeks knowledge about other religions. However now that's its been brought up (and fixated on), I want to ask HOW is it dangerous for a young person to gain knowledge about religions? How else does a young person if not by seeking knowledge?

Seeking the truth is good at any age.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I never really specified the age of the person who seeks knowledge about other religions. However now that's its been brought up (and fixated on), I want to ask HOW is it dangerous for a young person to gain knowledge about religions? How else does a young person if not by seeking knowledge?

You'll note i consistently pointed out it is Spiritual age that matters, which is consistent with what was originally posted on the subject. Now if all an individual gains is intellectual knowledge about a religion, then no harm no foul; but that is not the goal, nor does it count as "knowledge."

Upvote 0
R

rpeg

You'll note i consistently pointed out it is Spiritual age that matters, which is consistent with what was originally posted on the subject. Now if all an individual gains is intellectual knowledge about a religion, then no harm no foul; but that is not the goal, nor does it count as "knowledge."

I'm not sure what you mean by "that is not the goal"? Who's goals? My question is simply about seeking knowledge on religions.

What do you mean by "nor does it count as 'knowledge'"? Just wondering.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure what you mean by "that is not the goal"? Who's goals? My question is simply about seeking knowledge on religions.

What do you mean by "nor does it count as 'knowledge'"? Just wondering.

Spiritual knowledge is intimacy with said (s)Spirit, and is the goal of religion. With that in mind if you read back through my posts it might at least let you see where we've all been coming from.

Upvote 0
R

rpeg

Spiritual knowledge is intimacy with said (s)Spirit, and is the goal of religion. With that in mind if you read back through my posts it might at least let you see where we've all been coming from.

We may have different definitions of "knowledge". I simply mean learning matters of history, tenets, rituals, demographics, it's gods and claims.

I do not know what "spiritual knowledge" is so I won't comment. With that said, what do you mean by "that is not the goal"? Who decided "intimacy with said spirit" is the goal?

Upvote 0
R

rpeg

That's what religion IS: worship means approach.

Then we may have different ideas of what religion is. I carry the impression that religion is a belief system sometimes or often built around a god or gods. Additionally religions come with a history, details on demographics, basic points, etc. I never used the word "worship". Seeking knowledge is not the same as worshiping anything.

I'm either misunderstanding you or you're not understanding me. Are you saying that learning about religion is the same as worshipping within it's belief structure?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
R

rpeg

I'm saying there IS such a thing as Spiritual knowledge, which you are unaware of, and someone seeking is more likely to find it than you are. All of which needs to be taken into account when discussing any issue such as your OP.

In that case, I'm not referring to "spiritual knowledge", just knowledge. Do you still feel children should not seek knowledge about religions? I've defined my definition of "seeking knowledge". Is there any element of that you think is harmful?

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Education is always a good thing. I'm not sure why you're asking about children now, but generally people are more spiritually receptive when they're young. Most children don't gave the attention span to comprehend what a religion is driving at under the surface, and most children aren't going to be interested. So you'd have to ask what is going on with a child that is pursuing this? And then you'd have to conclude that expecting their knowledge to be limited to your definition, and fall short of spiritual knowledge is just not likely.

In the case of an adult who is spiritually a babe, the situation may not really be any different, except actually connecting with the spirit realm will usually be more difficult.

Upvote 0
Education is always a good thing. I'm not sure why you're asking about children now, but generally people are more spiritually receptive when they're young. Most children don't gave the attention span to comprehend what a religion is driving at under the surface, and most children aren't going to be interested. So you'd have to ask what is going on with a child that is pursuing this? And then you'd have to conclude that expecting their knowledge to be limited to your definition, and fall short of spiritual knowledge is just not likely.

In the case of an adult who is spiritually a babe, the situation may not really be any different, except actually connecting with the spirit realm will usually be more difficult.

Regarding kids I'm just referring to where the previous dialog veered off to. But i'm confusing spiritual "babes" with kids here. My mistake.

"And then you'd have to conclude that expecting their knowledge to be limited to your definition, and fall short of spiritual knowledge is just not likely."

Regarding that point, I'm not sure why I would need to conclude that. Your argument isn't too clear. Why isn't it likely people would learn about religion according to my definition? Why do you think it has to lean towards "spiritual knowledge"?

Upvote 0
And then you'd have to conclude that expecting their knowledge to be limited to your definition, and fall short of spiritual knowledge is just not likely.

I'm not sure if there's any real reason to assume that people can not learn about religion on the terms I'm suggesting.

Anyway, the reason I ask is partly to see what people think and to propose the idea: Shouldn't all people learn about world religions before they make judgements on them?

Upvote 0

vermin06

Jun 8, 2011
✟7,650.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if there's any real reason to assume that people can not learn about religion on the terms I'm suggesting.

Anyway, the reason I ask is partly to see what people think and to propose the idea: Shouldn't all people learn about world religions before they make judgements on them?

I think that's totally fair. Would you try to argue the contents of a book or movie you don't know? Of course not, so why assume or act as though you know about a religion without learning about it first? I almost asked "Would you pass judgments on people you don't know" but that happens quite a lot anyway. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I learned about non-Christian religions in a time of my life when I was away from God. Later, as I drew closer to Jesus, I started to study Christian denominations more... I feel that all of this study has brought me closer to Christ.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why isn't it likely people would learn about religion according to my definition? Why do you think it has to lean towards "spiritual knowledge"?

If a person is pursuing learning about this sort of thing, it is usually because there is a Spiritual hunger. This does seem to vary according to age, with younger people being both more receptive and more impressionable.

This type of environment (at any age) is conducive to "spiritual knowledge." Now it is time to address the fact that I think most world religions are going to lead you to the One True G-d, or at least bring you closer. So then the danger only comes with things like satanism, blood sacrifice, cannibalism -

OR, counterfeit via unholy spirit. Interesting point: the Judeo-Christian G-d identifies 12 different characteristics, only 9 of which the adversary has any counterfeit for. The 3 that cannot be faked (because neither unholy spirits nor holy Angels can comprehend it) are forgiveness, resurrection, and ... struggling to summarize the concept, Blessing. (Perhaps in the sense of mortal man being exalted as Prophet, King and Priest?)

So I will say that anyone, of any faith or no faith, acting in said manner, is doing so in concert with the Holy Spirit. Fulfilling what Isaiah said in his 12 chapter, "drawing water from the wells of Salvation."

I use this to demonstrate that what I have defined as "Spiritual knowledge" is not so uncommon or inaccessible.

Upvote 0

ToHoldNothing

May 26, 2010
✟2,108.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
If a person is pursuing learning about this sort of thing, it is usually because there is a Spiritual hunger. This does seem to vary according to age, with younger people being both more receptive and more impressionable.

You really think someone cannot research and study religions with a simple curiosity of psychology and sociology, among other non spiritual pursuits of the definition of spirituality you use? I only got into studying religions from a sociology class because it was such an intriguing category of study of beliefs about the world, philosophy, worldview, etc.

This type of environment (at any age) is conducive to "spiritual knowledge." Now it is time to address the fact that I think most world religions are going to lead you to the One True G-d, or at least bring you closer. So then the danger only comes with things like satanism, blood sacrifice, cannibalism -
Part of this is a biased understanding of God, methinks. Buddhism would have little to lead you to God, nor would Jainism, Daoism, Confucianism or many others, except insofar as they incidentally align with the ethics. And Satanism has multiple forms, only one of which is actually worshipping Satan. Luciferianism is another can of worms entirely, and Laveyan Satanism is not by necessity opposed to the Bible. Have you looked on teh website of the Church of Satan? The 9 Satanic Statements and 11 Satanic sins might align more than you think with your radical ideas about Christianity.

OR, counterfeit via unholy spirit. Interesting point: the Judeo-Christian G-d identifies 12 different characteristics, only 9 of which the adversary has any counterfeit for. The 3 that cannot be faked (because neither unholy spirits nor holy Angels can comprehend it) are forgiveness, resurrection, and ... struggling to summarize the concept, Blessing. (Perhaps in the sense of mortal man being exalted as Prophet, King and Priest?)

So only your god can do these things? Again, I have to wonder how you think nontheistic or pantheistic religions are going to lead people to God? Heck even Hinduism can be atheistic, surprisingly enough.

So I will say that anyone, of any faith or no faith, acting in said manner, is doing so in concert with the Holy Spirit. Fulfilling what Isaiah said in his 12 chapter, "drawing water from the wells of Salvation."

In what said manner are you referring to? I don't think you made that clear
I use this to demonstrate that what I have defined as "Spiritual knowledge" is not so uncommon or inaccessible.

If by spiritual knowledge you mean ethical philosophy, then sure, it's not inaccessible at all. Philosophy as a whole is not some high brow study, anyone can and does do it on a daily basis, even if they don't realize it's philosophical in nature

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You really think someone cannot research and study religions with a simple curiosity of psychology and sociology, among other non spiritual pursuits of the definition of spirituality you use?

I didn't say that at all.

Buddhism would have little to lead you to God, nor would Jainism, Daoism, Confucianism

I strongly disagree. They all point the soul towards Christ. (Maybe I shouldn't comment re: Jainism)

Luciferianism is another can of worms entirely, and Laveyan Satanism is not by necessity opposed to the Bible.

The G-d of the Bible is opposed to them, and it is He who created war.

If by spiritual knowledge you mean ethical philosophy, then sure, it's not inaccessible at all.

We defined this earlier in the thread. "Knowledge" in the Biblical sense, as in Adam knew his wife, is not merely a philosophical occurrence ^_^

Upvote 0