• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Should Orthodox pray prewritten prayers? Or make up their own prayers?

Discussion in 'St. Justin Martyr's Corner: Debate an Orthodox Chr' started by Northbrook, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Northbrook

Northbrook No sé vivir sin Dios

+259
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Republican
    Hi, my name is Lambrini, and I would like to know your thoughts on the WORDS Orthodox Christians should use when they pray. Do you believe they should pray prewritten prayers? Like from an Orthodox prayer book? Or do you believe they should make up their own prayers? Like, say whatever they feel, in conversation with God?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+11,819
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    do both, the prayers of the Church will help keep personal prayers from getting weird.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. Doug Melven

Doug Melven Well-Known Member

+2,536
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with prewritten prayers.
    Many times I pray verses in the Bible.
    But, if you are just reciting words, don't bother as that is not prayer.
    God knows what is in your heart.

4. Lost4words

Lost4words In reality, an old dog! Supporter

+3,891
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Written prayers can keep you focused. Plus, many worthy written prayers have been penned over the centuries.

Are there not written prayers in the Bible?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,518
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    As Fr. Matt said - do both.

The prayers of the Church are for our benefit. They teach us and shape us and give eloquence beyond our own to express our heart to God. Of course we should pay attention and pray them, not merely read or recite.

But there is also certainly a place for expressing ourselves to God in our own words, and this is necessary as well.

Both can become a part of your regular prayer life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Philip_B

Philip_B all shall be well and all shall be well and ... Supporter

+4,425
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    The Prayer of St Aidan
    Leave me alone with God as much as may be.
    As the tide draws the waters close in upon the shore,
    Make me an island, set apart,
    alone with you, God, holy to you.

Then with the turning of the tide
    prepare me to carry your presence to the busy world beyond,
    the world that rushes in on me
    till the waters come again and fold me back to you.

Aidan of Lindisfarne

7. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+15,487
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Not orthodox, but with the brothers' permission:

In Luke 4.16 it says our Lord entered a synagogue "as was His custom." Synagogue prayers were all pre written, and He used the framework of the Kaddish and Alenu prayers penned in the previous century to form the "Lord's Prayer" aka the "Our Father."

He recited standard prayers. He is our example.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,518
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I was just thinking not only this, but He prayed extemporaneous prayers too, such as when He raised Lazarus from the dead.

Our example truly. And He prayed both ways.

9. nutroll

nutroll Veteran

+985
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I agree with what many others have said, we learn by doing, and so we may start with prayers that are written for us, but that should not be the end to our prayer life. We return to those prayers time and again, and they become imprinted on our hearts over time, they teach us to pray. That is why I have to disagree with the above statement. We should never be satisfied with just reciting words, but when we don't feel like praying for whatever reason, we should still return to the prayers dutifully, not so that we can live a life of heartless prayer, but so that we can soften our hearts and allow the prayer to sink down from our mouths and into our hearts. We learn to pray by praying, and sometimes it is more words than heart and sometimes it is more heart than words, but we should never stop praying.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. peregrinus2017

peregrinus2017 Member

+187
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    Like has been said already, both are good and important. In my own experience, when I didn't have a foundation of prayer that has been written and prayed by great saints gone on before me, looking back, my own prayers did tend to be rather shallow and poorly focused on God.(More effort going into figuring out what I'm trying to say rather than saying it.), Also, really praying prayers that have been used by Christians for over a thousand years as well as still being used by Christians all around the world every day is a profoundly uplifting experience. Praying written prayers teaches us how to pray.

11. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+11,819
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Fr Peter Gillquist once said the liturgical prayers given by the Church are the tracks that prevent our personal prayers from derailing.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Lukaris

Lukaris Orthodox Christian Supporter

+930
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I think the Lord teaches us to pray both for ourselves and our neighbor. It is in His prayer ( Matthew 6:9-13). He always wants us to pray ( Luke 18:1). St. Paul preaches this to us ( 1 Timothy 2:1-3).

The Lord does not want vain repetitions ( of course, the Jesus Prayer: https://www.orthodoxprayer.org/Jesus Prayer.html ) is a Divine repitition. The Lord prayed briefly and extended ( John 17 ).

When King Solomon reflected the energy of grace, his prayer was a great entry to the ancient Liturgy ( 1 Kings 8:23-54). All of 1 Kings 8 is instructive on prayer & Liturgy which seems the basis for the prayer of the great entrance in the Divine Liturgy ( http://www.stgeorgenj.com/the-divine-liturgy-of-st-john-chrysostom.html ).

13. abacabb3

abacabb3 Newbie

+300
    Christian
    Married
    Why not both? Though when I read the prayers of the saints, it puts it into perspective how un-saintly we are.