should or shouldn't rap be something Christians listen to rap (poll)

sis it ok for christains to listen to rap or not

• Total voters

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Like any other artform, there is some rap or hip-hop or whatever you'd call it (sorry; I don't mean to sound dismissive, I just don't listen to a lot of this music, so I don't know where the boundaries between the different kinds are) that has great depth and at least thematically can be in keeping with some Biblical themes or broader Christian themes. That's not really an endorsement in and of itself (just like I wouldn't say "Christians should/shouldn't listen to rock music", or "Christians should/shouldn't watch movies", or make any other blanket statement like that), but a recognition that not everything is the same just because it might fit under a broad genre label.

Probably my favorite rap group (and the only one I actually own any music by), the Mexican group Control Machete, uses Matthew 6:34 as the entry point for a very stark meditation on the nature of life, death, and the passage of time in this song "Amores Perros" (which I will not translate the title of, since it is an idiomatic expression that would contain a curse word in English), for instance:

Sufficient for a single day are its own problems, without worrying about the future
We forget that to be able to get to the other side, you have to start by breaking down the first of the walls
We spend our lives viewing triumphs and failures achieved in the past tense
How many times has the sun stopped rising at noon because it does not want to live through any more sunsets?
... Reality hurts, it hurts
Fantasy stays only in dreams
What if I were to never die,
And (hence) did not have the chance to be born again?

It sounds better in Spanish (and also I never use my Spanish anymore, so I can't really think of less awkward ways to phrase things in translation on the fly like this; I checked Google and it pretty much said the same thing, which is not really encouraging, haha), but still, even if they're not the greatest lyrics ever, it's definitely not about girls and drugs and having a car that makes everyone jealous or whatever the stereotype is that makes some people say all rap is mindless glorification of hedonistic lifestyles and sin.

I was likewise impressed by Kendrick Lamar's anti-drinking culture song "Swimming Pools" from a few years ago (though I don't know what else he's done, or how it fits in with his overall approach), but unfortunately I can't link it here due to the presence of the 'n-word' in some parts. That's another, more recent example of rap music that has a thoughtful message (the Control Machete song is already 21 years old...yikes...past tense indeed).

So I would say to any Christian or anyone period about rap and really anything: be selective. Be alert. Don't uncritically accept something into your brain because it has a good beat or whatever excuse there is for listening to stuff that you know is degrading to your faith, yourself, and everyone else involved in making it and listening to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
thank you is thier a way to friend people on this server because if there was i would whant to friend you
I am in my 60's :) but, if you still want to follow me just click my profile pic and then click follow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christian RAP? For me yes.. to each you alone have to make this choice. I LOVE just LOVE all kinds of music. Some seems ok yet can be demonic. I'd say most its ok just as Christ would say... no life in it. All of creation sings praises to the Father/GOD. That is all I want to hear.

Upvote 0

Katrina Wingo

Feb 16, 2021
Wisconsin
✟17,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
that is my favorite Christian rap song but I know of a lot of Christian rap artists. I admit Christian rap is a somewhat different than secular rap by the fact that they don't have evil lyrics and they often have a small slow part to get the message across but there are talented artists doing Christian rap

Upvote 0