Should one understand Judaism before Christianity?

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
dollarsbill said:
For someone to understand Judaism before the NT would mean years of study of the Hebrew OT. They might die before they got to NT salvation. What a waste of time that would be.

Wow. Yes! Ah, yea!

(Rendered speechless by the accuracy of the above statement)

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hestha said:
I think I understand what you are saying. Some atheists claim that they were once Christians or raised in Christian families, but became atheists once they actually read the Bible, as if the Bible can make a person turn to atheism. At the same time, some Christians claim that reading the Bible enhances or deepens their faith. So, in reality, reading the Bible is more of a subjective experience. It may either deepen or weaken one's faith. Now, this leads to the question: how can anyone trust a book that can either strengthen or weaken faith? Sometimes, I wonder how some people are reading the Bible or what motivations the people have initially while reading the Bible; people never seem to give that. They may just say, "I read the Bible, and it deepens my faith in God" or "I read the Bible, and it has turned me to atheism." Neither of them provide an explanation on the how the Bible worsens/strengthens one's faith. Since atheists do not believe in God, asking for God's help would probably be useless for them. So, perhaps the best way for atheists to understand the Bible is to read study guides, like SparkNotes, or try to read theological commentaries made by well-established historical and modern Christian theologians.

In parts of the NT, the "milk" and "meat" of the Word is spoken of. I think this is the problem. For example:

"I witnessed today to an atheist about the ten commandments, I asked them if they ever lied, and when they said yes, I told them they were a sinner. I don't understand why they laughed at me."

Well.

Jesus had a methodology that I believe we should follow. He didn't walk around telling the "publicans and sinners" He ate with how horrible of a person they were, and that they must obey.

So.

This applies to Bible reading as well as witnessing. If you get into the "meat" (I.e. laws and how to behave once you BECOME a Christian) before you understand the "milk" (I.e. God's grace and undying love of us, how powerful and good He is), then at first glance the Bible seems VERY off-putting.
So does Christianity, because being Christian turns you away from many worldly things that "feel good." Too many non-Christians hear "you must obey" without first being taught "God loves you."

Obeying is a part of the process, no doubt. I don't deny or discount that. However, obeying is second to believing. If one teaches that you must obey to be saved, they not only design a "works" salvation, but also set a person up to lean on themselves for deliverance from their sin and desire to sin.

Upvote 0