Should one understand Judaism before Christianity?

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It seems to me that the main point in Christianity is the Christ is here, and he has come to save people. Save from what? If you are not a Christian or not familiar with the whole Christian faith or Western theology, then I think one needs to understand Judaism before understanding Christianity. Perhaps, one may have to read an English translation of the Jewish/Hebrew Bible or Tanakh before reading the Christian Bible, and judge, based on the Hebrew scriptures, whether or not Jesus is really the Messiah. From this line of thinking, it seems that Christianity is a Jewish denomination as much as Mormonism is a Christian denomination. What do you think?

god's_pawn

moving as God wills
Nov 14, 2008
✟15,607.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think that is the case and I think the Bible actually supports my view. Consider Acts 17:16-34 where Paul spoke to the Athenians about God without drawing from Judaism. Doesn't this serve as an example that we can do the same?

Granted, there is a great deal that we can learn from a deeper understanding of Judaism and Israel's history, but I don't think this is necessary to understand Christianity.

Upvote 0
P

Publius

It seems to me that the main point in Christianity is the Christ is here, and he has come to save people. Save from what?

From the wrath of God, stored up against us as the result of our sin.

If you are not a Christian or not familiar with the whole Christian faith or Western theology, then I think one needs to understand Judaism before understanding Christianity. Perhaps, one may have to read an English translation of the Jewish Hebrew Bible or Tanakh before reading the Christian Bible, and judge, based on the Hebrew scriptures, whether or not Jesus is really the Messiah.

Christianity is not something you graduate to after a given course of study.

From this line of thinking, it seems that Christianity is a Jewish denomination as much as Mormonism is a Christian denomination. What do you think?

Christianity is not a Jewish denomination, nor is Mormonism a Christian denomination.

Judaism was a religion given to a specific group of people for a specific time.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, because since Jesus Christ preached the Gospel, Christians & Jews have different religions rooted in the same Old Testament (OT). The apostles settled what was to be expected of the Gentiles in Acts 15 (esp. verse 29. The Lord summed up the Law with the golden rule (matthew 7:12) and the 2 great commands were the law & the prophets (Matthew 22:36-40, Mark 12:28-34 etc.) & the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:1-17, Deuteronomy 6) are to be followed. The overall need is to know Jesus Christ is Lord (see John 1, Colossians 1 etc.) & confess Him as savior (see Romans 10:4-13) & then live by His commandments.

The Bible is to be read of course but you will notice the Lord sums up the old covenant with 2 basic, sublime, & necessary commands. We cannot fulfill these but must try to live by these & only the cross saves us.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Hestha said:
It seems to me that the main point in Christianity is the Christ is here, and he has come to save people. Save from what? If you are not a Christian or not familiar with the whole Christian faith or Western theology, then I think one needs to understand Judaism before understanding Christianity. Perhaps, one may have to read an English translation of the Jewish/Hebrew Bible or Tanakh before reading the Christian Bible, and judge, based on the Hebrew scriptures, whether or not Jesus is really the Messiah. From this line of thinking, it seems that Christianity is a Jewish denomination as much as Mormonism is a Christian denomination. What do you think?

It would save a good deal of misunderstanding if people understood the story of the Hebrew bible before trying to tackle the story of Jesus.

Upvote 0

Crandaddy

Classical Theist
Aug 8, 2012
✟21,142.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
The Old Testament Scriptures are a proper part of the entirety of Holy Scripture, and it is profitable and edifying to study them. However, it is not principally by checking to see if all the pieces rationally fit together that we come to religious faith. I would say that people become religious because they see in their religion some degree of absolute Truth and intuitively understand it to be intrinsically desirable.

Some might beforehand be Jews; others might be Muslims or Hindus or Sikhs or so on. Yet others might not have any religious faith at all prior to becoming Christians. As god's pawn pointed out, when Paul preached to the Athenians in the Agora, he didn't attempt to instruct them on Jewish beliefs regarding the Messiah. Rather, he announced that the "unknown god" who they were worshiping is in fact the true God and proceeded to quote their own pagan poets in support of his claim.

The point is that while the Old Testament, as sacred Scripture, is certainly indispensable to Christianity and is "profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness," just as Paul states, it is not necessary to have extensive knowledge of the Jewish understanding of the Messiah in order to turn in faith to Christ. It is necessary only to see that Jesus Christ, as he is presented in the bible, as God Incarnate who comes to earth to save us from our intuitively-known moral imperfection (which is our sinful nature), is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and to then respond accordingly.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It seems to me that the main point in Christianity is the Christ is here, and he has come to save people. Save from what? If you are not a Christian or not familiar with the whole Christian faith or Western theology, then I think one needs to understand Judaism before understanding Christianity........ What do you think?

The OT deals with the whole nation of Israel, not just the Jews. The history contained in the OT and of the 'Jews' in Jesus' day, is very important in understanding the whole plan of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
And any that don't understand Judaism don't understand Christianity. What's the use in accepting something if you haven't understood it?

Yeah. That's why I thought too. Nowadays, you can see campus preachers and street preachers from time to time, on certain public places where they allow free speech. Unfortunately, I do not think that these campus preachers are not having much success in winning converts, largely due to their extremely socially conservative views, their arrogant tone of voice, their self-righteousness, and their audience - who are Americans, and as the American population is largely Christian, what's to convert? In addition, directing your argument toward atheists and other irreligious people instead of Gentiles and Jews will probably leave a question in their heads - as they may not be familiar with Judaism and how Christianity builds on Judaism's foundation - or dislike the preaching, because they may be ex-Christians who have ditched the faith because they perceive that other Christians do not act so Christ-like and goodly but instead act with bigotry and hatred. That said, I think the ideal audience would be a well-versed Jewish person who yearns for seeing the Messiah and have not heard of the gospel yet. :)

Upvote 0

JudahS

Aug 16, 2012
✟15,133.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
That said, I think the ideal audience would be a well-versed Jewish person who yearns for seeing the Messiah and have not heard of the gospel yet. :)

A well-versed Jew will instantly notice the overwhelming difference between the Jewish concept of messiah, and the Christian concept of messiah if he/she happens to hear it, e.g. from a street preacher. These two disparate concepts cannot be reconciled. The only Jews who might embrace the Christian concept of messiah are those Jews who were deprived of a true Jewish education - there are too many of these in today's North America! Jews who rush to abandon the faith that they have never truly known are the upshot of their parents' ignorance.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,517.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah. That's why I thought too. Nowadays, you can see campus preachers and street preachers from time to time, on certain public places where they allow free speech. Unfortunately, I do not think that these campus preachers are not having much success in winning converts, largely due to their extremely socially conservative views, their arrogant tone of voice, their self-righteousness, and their audience - who are Americans, and as the American population is largely Christian, what's to convert? In addition, directing your argument toward atheists and other irreligious people instead of Gentiles and Jews will probably leave a question in their heads - as they may not be familiar with Judaism and how Christianity builds on Judaism's foundation - or dislike the preaching, because they may be ex-Christians who have ditched the faith because they perceive that other Christians do not act so Christ-like and goodly but instead act with bigotry and hatred. That said, I think the ideal audience would be a well-versed Jewish person who yearns for seeing the Messiah and have not heard of the gospel yet. :)
True Christians are not trying to get nonbelievers to “understand” a lot of written words in the OT or the NT. True Christians are trying to introduce nonbelievers to the living Christ which is God which is Godly type Love. That “Love”, is what we want people to see, experience, receive and want. The ‘words’ can come later.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God encourages us to study his word, referring of course to the OT. Many in today's church don't pay much attention to it however. My own mother when asked about a certain bible account by my brother stated, "I don't get my religion from the bible, I get it from Reverend (unpronouncable Norwegian name)." She was a lifetime member of the Lutheran church
and a wonderfully kind person, but didn't know a thing about the bible. She lived 94 years in the faith.

A group of us single guys used to out for lunch after church, where we would discuss the sermon, among other things. I was always amazed by the number of them who didn't remember the pastor saying this or that. They must have had their minds elsewhere I guess. Often when a familiar bible subject came up several confessed that they 'hadn't heard that before', yet it had been preached and taught often.

It's been said that if there are 100 people in the audience on any given sabbath they will hear 100 different sermons. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The USA is probably the last great haven for oppressed Christian worldwide and still the most free for Christians because of a Judeo-Christian foundation (albeit eroding). The USA has done good & bad for Christians worldwide & because of its power, the extremes manifest. I think a good ex. of this is in re to the Ottoman (or Klingon) empire eradication of Armenians, Greeks etc. & covered well in this book: The Burning Tigris: Peter Balakian: Amazon.com: Kindle Store I POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG FORUM!!! PLEASE IGNORE!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I disagree that one NEEDS to become very familiar with Judiasm first ; all one need know is that for centuries its always been Mans attempts at finding favor with the Creator and forgiveness of ones sins and sin nature and this historically was tried thru : Sacrificing animals on an alter, trying to keep the many moral, civil, and dietary Laws ... and doing a variety of rituals and madeup traditions to HOPEFULLY appease God . In fact, many people are still doing most of these things today and dont realize that they are all now, completely worthless and insufficient . God has instituted a NEW COVENANT between himself and Mankind and that is solely found in the Person of Jesus Christ his own Son sent on our behalf to be the sacrifice that the former ways could never truly accomplish. So its now Gods GRACE by having genuine FAITH in what Christ accomplished on the cross to take away all of mans sins...which is then evidenced by a drastic life changed involving the desire to serve God and Others by doing loving, kind, good acts and deeds as a Servant. Being saved from ones many accumulated sins is an intended FREE gift from God . Man is very sinful and God is very Holy...and there needs to be a Bridge to link the two ...and that is what Christ did by allowing us to get to God with his extremely pure and holy nature . THeres no other method which would ever be enough.

This is what our modern Missionaries try to teach those who dont know, or, are trusting in THEIR OWN personal meritorious work instead of on Christ fully. And...its what true EVangelical Churches preach every week to people that need to hear the Good News about what Christ did and who he truly is.

It is quite simple when you think about it . Have you gotton to the point in your life of 'recieving' the finished work of Christ on the cross and applying his Meritorious work to your personal sin account ? I hope so so i can one day meet you face to face in eternity in Gods incredible presence.

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I think what Ebia was saying wasn't that it isn't important, but that it doesn't provide salvation. There are atheists on this forum that know the Bible better than I do o_O

Let me rephrase this. Are you saying that not understanding the Word of God, which is what the Bible is - the Word of God, brings salvation? It seems to me that you are implying that a person just needs to believe in Jesus in order to be saved. Reading the Bible, understanding the Word of God, and being well-versed in Christianity and the Bible are not necessary for salvation. In that case, a person who knows the teachings of Christ by actually reading the Bible, but not a Christian, will be damned in hell. And the person who does not know the teachings of Christ, but professes a belief in Christ, will go to heaven? You know... that may lead to Christian hypocrisy... :crossrc:

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Let me rephrase this. Are you saying that not understanding the Word of God, which is what the Bible is - the Word of God, brings salvation? It seems to me that you are implying that a person just needs to believe in Jesus in order to be saved. Reading the Bible, understanding the Word of God, and being well-versed in Christianity and the Bible are not necessary for salvation. In that case, a person who knows the teachings of Christ by actually reading the Bible, but not a Christian, will be damned in hell. And the person who does not know the teachings of Christ, but professes a belief in Christ, will go to heaven? You know... that may lead to Christian hypocrisy... :crossrc:

You are correct. Getting to heaven is based on simply receiving Christ as the total payment for ones many sins by faith that Christs death was enough, and as a result of that, there NEEDS to be evidence that this was done in a genuine manner ; that evidence comes from a changed Mind, Heart, Will, Desires, and actions in the form of serving God and Others ...subsequent to recieving Christ. Because the now saved Person wants to grow in his love and knowledge of God, reading the Bible will be looked forward to and Gods Spirit comes to visit a person who does it faithfully and diligently .

That is Gods simple salvation plan. Its simple for us although it requires forsaking our pride and possibility of loosing some friends over the desision to which God promises the Person many more times benefits than some lost friends and enduring personal ridicule and rejection . Gods plan cost Christ everything , yet he gives us everything in return.

Can you recieve Christ into your life as described above, and if not, what is holding you back from securing your place in Heaven for eternity ?

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hestha said:

To many well-versed atheists, the Bible is nothing more than a book, but they know it well. Reading the Bible is nothing more than an act, if it is not read in the Spirit of Faith.
That's what I meant. I have seen atheists become even more opposed to Christ by reading the Word before believing. They see certain verses and are totally turned off. The most important thing is to believe, and ask God to help in one's understanding of what is written in His Holy Book.

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
To many well-versed atheists, the Bible is nothing more than a book, but they know it well. Reading the Bible is nothing more than an act, if it is not read in the Spirit of Faith.
That's what I meant. I have seen atheists become even more opposed to Christ by reading the Word before believing. They see certain verses and are totally turned off. The most important thing is to believe, and ask God to help in one's understanding of what is written in His Holy Book.

I think I understand what you are saying. Some atheists claim that they were once Christians or raised in Christian families, but became atheists once they actually read the Bible, as if the Bible can make a person turn to atheism. At the same time, some Christians claim that reading the Bible enhances or deepens their faith. So, in reality, reading the Bible is more of a subjective experience. It may either deepen or weaken one's faith. Now, this leads to the question: how can anyone trust a book that can either strengthen or weaken faith? Sometimes, I wonder how some people are reading the Bible or what motivations the people have initially while reading the Bible; people never seem to give that. They may just say, "I read the Bible, and it deepens my faith in God" or "I read the Bible, and it has turned me to atheism." Neither of them provide an explanation on the how the Bible worsens/strengthens one's faith. Since atheists do not believe in God, asking for God's help would probably be useless for them. So, perhaps the best way for atheists to understand the Bible is to read study guides, like SparkNotes, or try to read theological commentaries made by well-established historical and modern Christian theologians.

Upvote 0