• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Should one Still Self Mortify with a Medical condition?

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by joymercy, Aug 4, 2021.

1. joymercy

joymercy Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,481
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    Self-Mortification helps us to fight the passions, which help us to live more virtuously.

What if you are already in a bit of pain due to natural causes? Would it be wrong to offer up your own physical pains, just because they are there? Shouldn't you give up things and choose to suffer because of it as a way to spiritually mature?

What do you say, whom have done any spiritual readings on the topic?

ps-my doctor told me that my physical sufferings through the natural means is enough and that I don't need to choose to do more.

However, I think we actually do need to choose of our own free will to sacrifice!

For example, having the pain of arthritis is not enough to count as something that you give up or sacrifice in order to put to death the flesh.

I was taking gradually cold showers and it helped me tremendously, and she told me my arthritic pain was already a sacrifice!

I don't agree, do you?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. zippy2006

zippy2006 Dragonsworn

+2,577
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    It is true that a freely given sacrifice is more valuable, but that doesn't mean you can't offer up unchosen sufferings as well. Indeed, it is also important to freely assent to the suffering that God has already placed in your cup. When the author of Hebrews says that, "[Christ] learned obedience through suffering," I think he is primarily referring to unchosen suffering.

3. Chesster

Chesster Junior Member

+100
    Catholic
    Married
    You should talk to your spiritual advisor about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. joymercy

joymercy Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,481
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    He told me to choose to do it. I need to have the intention to do the sacrifice as well as offer up what I already have.

I like the cold showers and doing them while praying hard against the sharp and cold stabs of the water pellets, cleanses me from my self pity and refocuses my mind onto Him.

He advised me that I need to freely choose to do this despite my doctors wishes.

@zippy is right.

Thanks zippy!

And spiritual directors are very hard to find as it is, so often many have to search online or in the writings of the church fathers to seek the truth.

Very sadly, many spiritual directors are booked solid and other priests claim they are over worked and not trained in that area.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021