Should obedience be mentioned when preaching the gospel?

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Re: Should obedience be mentioned when preaching the gospel?

Preaching obedience is essential for salvation, because we cannot give ourselves faith for salvation. We need God to give it to us.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast. (bold mine, Ephesians 2:8-9, 1984 NIV)

The Mosaic Law, as well as obedience to God's commands in general, leads us to Christ.

So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. (bold mine, Galatians 3:24, 1984 NIV)

If we do not recognize that we are being disobedient, we can't genuinely recognize our need for forgiveness.
Mosaic law is not New Covenant law.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Many of you have encountered Marvin on CF.com. If you approve of his theology, please raise your hand.
What part of my theology do you disapprove of?

Give me one example and I will defend it.

Every time in the past when we have entered into a conversation you have misrepresented what I believe. When I have corrected you on it - you simply disappear from the thread and snipe away at me elsewhere as you have here.

Please - tell me what you disagree with in my theology and then we can discuss it in a civil manner like brothers.

Please have the Christian decency to address your posts to me so I can respond or at least know when you are talking about me.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What part of my theology do you disapprove of?

Give me one example and I will defend it.

Every time in the past when we have entered into a conversation you have misrepresented what I believe. When I have corrected you on it - you simply disappear from the thread and snipe away at me elsewhere as you have here.

Please - tell me what you disagree with in my theology and then we can discuss it in a civil manner like brothers.

Thanks.
Your theology is good Marvin, except for the predestination thing.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Your theology is good Marvin, except for the predestination thing.
It would be nice if the man had the Christian decency to address his posts to me so that I would at least know when he's talking about me.

My stance on predestination is as simple as it is inescapable.

God knew before the foundation of the world everything which would happen if He acted in a certain way in creating and in certain ways in His providential involvement in history.

This is the straight forward doctrine of omniscience.

There was absolutely no chance that what God "knew" would happen would not indeed happen.

This truth concerning the destiny of anything whatsoever in history was cast in stone the moment God so acted.

Since our activities and those of everything else in history were known before we even existed - they were predestined to happen - given God's choice to act as He has.

Since there was only God in the beginning and since God says clearly that He is the one doing the predestining in all instances when the term is used - I also say that it was God who did the predestining when He acted in certain ways knowing full well the outcome in history.

Along those line - nothing compelled God to so act but the wise councel of His own will. It was His choice to do as He did or do something else if He so chose to act in some other way.

Nothing in predestination denies free will or even touches on the subject. Rather - even the fact that men would be created with free will and be allowed to exercise that will throughout history was predestined. In point offact the ability of men to make free choices under predestination is clearly affirmed several times in the WCF which I so often quote from.

The reason I quote from that document is because I get tired of having what Calvinist believe misrepresented. What they believe is there in black and white and it includes more than one clear statement affirming free will for men.

Nothing in the idea that God ordains ,or orders by His Word, the destinies of whatsoever happens in history says anything about God "predetermining" or "assigning" particular choices to any man. Talk like that and the employing of such ridiculous bromides as talk of "robots", "automotons" and the like are simply straw men created by those who cannot argue against what is actually being taught by Calvinists.

Nothing in predestination says anything about exactly how God has acted throughout history in relation to our choices concerning receiving His salvation.

Those are addressed in other doctrines.

We can disagree concerning the application of certain verses in the scriptures which address those other doctrines.

But we should not disagree with the clear implication of what we know of God and His relationship with the creation - inescapably resulting in the doctrine that shows that everything which happens in God's creation was predestined to happen.

In my opinion it is altogether proper that we see God as doing the predestining and no one else. Reason being that we could not do the predestining ourselves since that would be on the same level as the illogical idea that the creation could have created itself.

Again - everything which happens in history was predestined to happen. There is no use looking at particular scriptures which mention the word predestination and argueing about exactly what in that verse is being predestined. I even agree with what many non-Calvinists say about those verses.

But, since absolutely everything that happens was obviously predestined to happen, those really are moot points.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mosaic law is not New Covenant law.
If Jesus is not your Lord, he is not your savior.

Don't delay in being obedient: and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If Jesus is not your Lord, he is not your savior.

Don't delay in being obedient: and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:20, 1984 NIV)
Why not answer the actual question?

Or do you just reply to posts with any sort of content? If you only wish to hear yourself speak, you can just start talking, no reason to even reply to anyone.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It would be nice if the man had the Christian decency to address his posts to me so that I would at least know when he's talking about me.

My stance on predestination is as simple as it is inescapable.

God knew before the foundation of the world everything which would happen if He acted in a certain way in creating and in certain ways in His providential involvement in history.

This is the straight forward doctrine of omniscience.

There was absolutely no chance that what God "knew" would happen would not indeed happen.

This truth concerning the destiny of anything whatsoever in history was cast in stone the moment God so acted.

Since our activities and those of everything else in history were known before we even existed - they were predestined to happen - given God's choice to act as He has.

Since there was only God in the beginning and since God says clearly that He is the one doing the predestining in all instances when the term is used - I also say that it was God who did the predestining when He acted in certain ways knowing full well the outcome in history.

Along those line - nothing compelled God to so act but the wise councel of His own will. It was His choice to do as He did or do something else if He so chose to act in some other way.

Nothing in predestination denies free will or even touches on the subject. Rather - even the fact that men would be created with free will and be allowed to exercise that will throughout history was predestined. In point offact the ability of men to make free choices under predestination is clearly affirmed several times in the WCF which I so often quote from.

The reason I quote from that document is because I get tired of having what Calvinist believe misrepresented. What they believe is there in black and white and it includes more than one clear statement affirming free will for men.

Nothing in the idea that God ordains ,or orders by His Word, the destinies of whatsoever happens in history says anything about God "predetermining" or "assigning" particular choices to any man. Talk like that and the employing of such ridiculous bromides as talk of "robots", "automotons" and the like are simply straw men created by those who cannot argue against what is actually being taught by Calvinists.

Nothing in predestination says anything about exactly how God has acted throughout history in relation to our choices concerning receiving His salvation.

Those are addressed in other doctrines.

We can disagree concerning the application of certain verses in the scriptures which address those other doctrines.

But we should not disagree with the clear implication of what we know of God and His relationship with the creation - inescapably resulting in the doctrine that shows that everything which happens in God's creation was predestined to happen.

In my opinion it is altogether proper that we see God as doing the predestining and no one else. Reason being that we could not do the predestining ourselves since that would be on the same level as the illogical idea that the creation could have created itself.

Again - everything which happens in history was predestined to happen. There is no use looking at particular scriptures which mention the word predestination and argueing about exactly what in that verse is being predestined. I even agree with what many non-Calvinists say about those verses.

But, since absolutely everything that happens was obviously predestined to happen, those really are moot points.
I understand your stance and although I do disagree, I have always respected that you can clearly and with reference to God's Word explain your theology.

You are a bright light Marvin.

Upvote 0