✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hello,

I’m a lifelong Christian (nearly 60 years) and find myself suddenly suffering depression and a lack of faith in God due to some aspects of my life that didn’t go so well. They say suffering brings you closer to God, but for me, it’s made me take a closer look at God- which to me means refer to our source, the Bible – but the closer I look, the more I struggle with my faith. I’ve read the Bible in full once maybe twice during my younger days, but as I now read it with a more intense search for answers, I’m finding the opposite effect I was looking for. I don’t want to lose my faith, but I have questions about the Bible and our faith and am looking for a place to pose these questions and hopefully find answers that will help restore my faith. The problem is, I’m probably going to come off like an atheist, which I am not (but I feel I am in danger of becoming one). The questions I pose will deal with parts of the Bible that I find disturbing; parts that I feel we tend to ignore or dismiss as figurative, as opposed to passages we refer to because they best fit what we feel our religion is supposed to be. The last thing I want to do is plant seeds of doubt in believers, as that is listed as an automatic ticket to Hell. So I’d like to get a little feedback from some of the regular members here. Are you guys open to my posting here? I promise I’m not an atheist in disguise, and would be willing to join in rebuking an atheist who tries to join the discussion with a clear intent towards atheism (although I would like to have a discussion with an atheist at some point when I’m less vulnerable). I’m just trying to find my way back. I mean geez, I’ve come this far as a Christian. I don’t want to fumble on the goal line.

So please let me know what you guys think. Are you open to my posting here or does my intent sound like something that will be counter-productive to this site?

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello,

I’m a lifelong Christian (nearly 60 years) and find myself suddenly suffering depression and a lack of faith in God due to some aspects of my life that didn’t go so well. They say suffering brings you closer to God, but for me, it’s made me take a closer look at God- which to me means refer to our source, the Bible – but the closer I look, the more I struggle with my faith. I’ve read the Bible in full once maybe twice during my younger days, but as I now read it with a more intense search for answers, I’m finding the opposite effect I was looking for. I don’t want to lose my faith, but I have questions about the Bible and our faith and am looking for a place to pose these questions and hopefully find answers that will help restore my faith. The problem is, I’m probably going to come off like an atheist, which I am not (but I feel I am in danger of becoming one). The questions I pose will deal with parts of the Bible that I find disturbing; parts that I feel we tend to ignore or dismiss as figurative, as opposed to passages we refer to because they best fit what we feel our religion is supposed to be. The last thing I want to do is plant seeds of doubt in believers, as that is listed as an automatic ticket to Hell. So I’d like to get a little feedback from some of the regular members here. Are you guys open to my posting here? I promise I’m not an atheist in disguise, and would be willing to join in rebuking an atheist who tries to join the discussion with a clear intent towards atheism (although I would like to have a discussion with an atheist at some point when I’m less vulnerable). I’m just trying to find my way back. I mean geez, I’ve come this far as a Christian. I don’t want to fumble on the goal line.

So please let me know what you guys think. Are you open to my posting here or does my intent sound like something that will be counter-productive to this site?

Hello and welcome to CF ... there are many areas on this site to explore .... many different views about things ... most people are open for discussion on just about anything ... may you meet many new friends and find them helpful.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello,

Of course post it.

I suggest you explain what you mean by "my faith" in some detail. If you can lose it, maybe you've been operating on a false notion all these years. Maybe you need truth rather than to have that, restored.

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Welcome aboard - we have plenty of members who have been through crisis of faith and have come out the other side strong and confident in Him.
Thanks, Carl.
Btw. Any way I can respond to more than one post at a time? I'd like to thank all who welcomed me in one post if possible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,042.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's natural to have sufferings become a challenge to faith, though if the faith spoken of in the Bible is what you have the challenge is not a matter of mental recognition. Biblical faith is a sure foundation, a confident hope grounded in the apprehension of the certainty of God's existence. What's found in the Bible is not answers, but presence. God's self-witness draws us near Him when our hearts are far from Him, as suffering often engenders.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,410.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sure just hit 'reply' and that will initiate a common reply that is addressed to all on the thread.

Whoops I stated that wrong, just scroll down and write your response in the message bar at the bottom.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Hello,

If anyone here thinks that you would be detrimental to this site, then one might ask why they are even here themselves. Do not worry. You are most welcome and may God keep you safe in these trying days.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Any way I can respond to more than one post at a time?
You can also select text from multiple posts, and click "Quote" in the popup menu. Then at the bottom click "Insert Quotes".

Welcome. Better to ask the questions than not.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2021
Fort Saskatchewan
✟8,158.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Of course post it.

I suggest you explain what you mean by "my faith" in some detail. If you can lose it, maybe you've been operating on a false notion all these years. Maybe you need truth rather than to have that, restored.
OK, if you like. Maybe I have been operating on a false notion all these years. That's what's so unsettling and has me searching for answers. I've been "operating" within the Catholic faith, btw. We have a profession of faith that you can look up that pretty much covers the details. In short, we believe what the Bible tells us. At least that's what I thought until I came across some passages that don't add up for me. Thus the reason for my initial comment: -The questions I pose will deal with parts of the Bible that I find disturbing; parts that I feel we tend to ignore or dismiss as figurative, as opposed to passages we refer to because they best fit what we feel our religion is supposed to be.

• Friendly
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Gary O'

Dec 27, 2020
Oregon
✟100,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So please let me know what you guys think.
I've been there, brother.

Up until just recently, I hadn't floundered, or sought, just became neglectful.
Then, like you, opened my bible.
It still didn't take

A few months back, I prayed....prayed for strength, prayed for wisdom
Prayed for Him...to be in me
Prayed for the faith that we all need (I didn't have a lick of faith)
Tried for years to muster that up myself

The faith came, amongst some horrific events

Then I acted....on faith
Started paying my tithe, of all things
(Didn't think I could afford tithe)

I've been awarded ten fold

Post away

Pretty sure that's what this place is all about

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2021
Fort Saskatchewan
✟8,158.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would speak to a Pastor, I don't think many of us can always understand God's word. I use the King James Bible app on my phone. Each morning and night, a passage of the Bible is quoted with an explanation. This really helps me to understand and soul search. God Bless you

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I would speak to a Pastor, I don't think many of us can always understand God's word. I use the King James Bible app on my phone. Each morning and night, a passage of the Bible is quoted with an explanation. This really helps me to understand and soul search. God Bless you
Yeah, that's a good point. I've been meaning to take that step and probably will. I was hoping there might be a few pastors on this site as well, though.

Upvote 0