Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
My given name is Alex (well, Alexander), but I chose Saint Jerome as my patron saint when I was chrismated. For those of you who converted and chose a patron saint with a different name, did you start going by your new name? If so, just in church or outside of it as well? If you didn't switch names, why not? Would you recommend it? I think I'd feel odd switching names, but I also have a bit of a desire to do so, since I did take on a new name at my chrismation.

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I visit other parishes, with my bishop or priest, even when I was in Jordan I went by Youseff with Muslims! I use it religiously, but at work, etc. I’m just Scott.

Do you mean just like other parishioners at church, or if you visit a monastery or something?

• Informative
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I visit other parishes, with my bishop or priest, even when I was in Jordan I went by Youseff with Muslims! I use it religiously, but at work, etc. I’m just Scott.
Got it. Was it weird to get used to going by Joseph in those situations?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not at all. St. Joseph the Betrothed is my patron saint, and I can only hope to be 1/1000000th of the father and husband he was, so I'm always excited to invoke his name! I pray his intercession!

You'll get used to your Orthodox name. But it's really up to you how you want to go about it. I wouldn't worry about it at work, etc.

Got it. Was it weird to get used to going by Joseph in those situations?

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not at all. St. Joseph the Betrothed is my patron saint, and I can only hope to be 1/1000000th of the father and husband he was, so I'm always excited to invoke his name! I pray his intercession!

You'll get used to your Orthodox name. But it's really up to you how you want to go about it. I wouldn't worry about it at work, etc.
I'm thinking that's what I'll do. When I go to new churches, monasteries, etc., I'll use "Jerome". But I won't worry about it in my day-to-day/secular life and at churches where people already know me as Alex, I won't make a big deal to switch

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I changed at Church (my biggest social community) for a couple of reasons. One was that so many folks had trouble with my longer English name and so would just shorten it to Anna, Annie, or Anna (Greek pronunciation). I got used to that and assumed St. Anna would be my Saint. They surprised me on the day of my baptism asking if I would consent to being named Anastasia. I agreed (and it has been better for more reasons than I could know then!). At least "Anna" is sometimes used as short for Anastasia. But then my name got published in various things around the Church and people got confused if it was really me when I used my English name, and I was asked to use just one or the other, so I just switched to Anastasia as it was less confusing for them. Father was the only one who had ever used my English name and he switched easily enough. I have to listen now for Anastasia (two pronunciations), Anna (two pronunciations), and Annie, so I get called at least five names regularly at Church (for a while one lady kept calling me "Tracy" lol, and a few assume "Stacy" or "Sia") ... but yes I've gotten very used to it.

Hardly anyone still calls me my English name since at work I'm "Mrs. Surname" and my daughter calls me "Mom". Just my husband and a few old friends. I get mail at the house addresses to Anastasia and my husband makes fun of me.

But I get used to listening for lots of names. :)

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is also my experience. I know of only one person who now completely goes by his baptismal name both at church and everywhere else, although there are undoubtedly some others. (This also does not take into account priests and bishops (and some deacons) who always go by their name given at ordination, and only use their legal name for things like legal documents.)

most I know use their baptismal name for anything liturgical or sacramental, and their given name for everything else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is also my experience. I know of only one person who now completely goes by his baptismal name both at church and everywhere else, although there are undoubtedly some others. (This also does not take into account priests and bishops (and some deacons) who always go by their name given at ordination, and only use their legal name for things like legal documents.)

yeah, the only ones I know who go by their baptismal name in their day to day are clergy.

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
most I know use their baptismal name for anything liturgical or sacramental, and their given name for everything else.
Yup, the only person that called me Thomas, AFTER the service, was THE "chief Babushka" in the place. And, having been brought up to respect my elders, and more importantly, a finely honed survival instinct, I NEVER corrected her! ;)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yup, the only person that called me Thomas, AFTER the service, was THE "chief Babushka" in the place. And, having been brought up to respect my elders, and more importantly, a finely honed survival instinct, I NEVER corrected her! ;)

wise move.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
yeah, the only ones I know who go by their baptismal name in their day to day are clergy.
This made me think of something I was wondering about - what are the situations when someone (sometimes) gets a new name? Baptism/chrismation and tonsuring as a monk, I know. But does it ever occur besides those two times, like when someone is ordained or made a deacon or something?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This made me think of something I was wondering about - what are the situations when someone (sometimes) gets a new name? Baptism/chrismation and tonsuring as a monk, I know. But does it ever occur besides those two times, like when someone is ordained or made a deacon or something?

it can at ordination, although that's more rare as far as I have seen.

• Informative
Reactions: AMM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My given name is Alex (well, Alexander), but I chose Saint Jerome as my patron saint when I was chrismated. For those of you who converted and chose a patron saint with a different name, did you start going by your new name? If so, just in church or outside of it as well? If you didn't switch names, why not? Would you recommend it? I think I'd feel odd switching names, but I also have a bit of a desire to do so, since I did take on a new name at my chrismation.

Did you specifically want to change it, since there is a St. Alexander?? Converts would definitely use there baptism/chrismation name for communion.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Did you specifically want to change it, since there is a St. Alexander?? Converts would definitely use there baptism/chrismation name for communion.
My priest and I jointly chose St Jerome for me through a lengthy process. At the end of the day I had a few options - a couple St Alexanders, and some St Not-Alexanders. I sent him the list and why I was thinking about each one, and he chose St Jerome from that list. I do use Jerome for communion, but I'm more wondering about using Jerome/Alexander outside of the Eucharist

Upvote 0

Principal Moo

St. Alexius, pray for me!
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2016
Virginian living in Hanoi
✟89,896.00
Country
Viet Nam
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Kind of a funny, personal experience: I am the only American in the Russian Orthodox Community here in Hanoi. As you can see from my profile picture, I am Asian. Hanoi is pretty small and you often bump into people you know. So, it must be funny for bystanders to see a Russian shouting "Aleksei!" and seeing me respond. It's happened a few times and people just stare at me in disbelief :).

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Kind of a funny, personal experience: I am the only American in the Russian Orthodox Community here in Hanoi. As you can see from my profile picture, I am Asian. Hanoi is pretty small and you often bump into people you know. So, it must be funny for bystanders to see a Russian shouting "Aleksei!" and seeing me respond. It's happened a few times and people just stare at me in disbelief :).

I am sure would be just fine if you were in Alaska :)

Reactions: Principal Moo
Upvote 0