• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Should I not date anyone if I've had a recent inappropriate content problem?

Trayalc

Jan 2, 2019
Georgia
✟32,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've had a long history with inappropriate content. I was first exposed around 12 or 13 y/o, and it has remained to varying degrees throughout the years (I am 24 now). Admittedly, I have only recently began to seek help and address it. I have been using Covenant Eyes since November 2021, and I have my best friend as my Ally on there. He is the only one I know in person who I have confessed to. So, I am fighting to recover from over a decade's worth of inappropriate content use.

Recently, an older friend of mine invited me over to his house for dinner with his family, and he has told me he has a "godly, pretty girl" he wants me to meet. Remembering my sin problem, I hesitated, but ultimately said I wouldn't mind meeting her. As that event approaches this week, I cannot help but feel distressed. Am I even worthy right now to date anyone? Would it be wrong for me to do so? If I date her, when should I confess to her the sexual sins of my past? Does this all disqualify me?

I would appreciate thoughts/advice/prayer here. Thank you.

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,004,874.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I disagree. Finding a suitable partner would help channel that sexual energy into a godly pursuit of a woman and help keep your focus elsewhere.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟672,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If only those of us without sin dated, nobody would be in a relationship. As far as confessing your sins, that certainly isn't something to start off with. If your relationship with her grows, you will know when it feels right to divulge details of your life. I see no problem with you meeting women or dating them, you're as qualified as any of us.

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Possibly, you can share with her while others are with you. And you can see if she comes on first as being really Christian . . . or if mainly your attention is attracted to how she looks.

I think maybe it would not be good for him to talk about you as possible dating material. She should not come, thinking she is going to be evaluated for if you would want to date her. Instead, have a group and it is not about seeing if you would want to date. Have an occasion for prayer and the word, and see how she ministers to you deeper than how you feel about what she looks like.

A strong lady of Jesus can minister strength to you.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
A Godly woman in your life could be the best thing for you. Real physical affection (even if not sexual) is far more satisfying than inappropriate content. Tell her in due time if you end up together and if she is true she will support you in your struggle.

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Trayalc

Jan 2, 2019
Georgia
✟32,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all for your encouraging replies. I have thought about having a godly woman to fight for would give me a strong resolve to overcome the temptations and lusts of inappropriate content. However, I also hear the warning that compulsive inappropriate content use will not be solved by marriage alone. That is why I am being careful.

I also believe that Satan is reminding me of the sexual sins of my past to destroy my assurance and to discourage and condemn me. I realize I must dwell upon the promises of the Lord, not the condemnation of Satan.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have thought about having a godly woman to fight for would give me a strong resolve to overcome the temptations and lusts of inappropriate content.
Well, I'm not sure about if you need to fight for her, but I don't really know what you mean by this.

But I have found it helps me a lot to know a real woman of love, so I can see how much good a lady of love is. And I have known women in the church culture, who could behave and dress more or less in a inappropriate contentographic way . . . even during church occasions; so I need to be able to love these people and not let them get to me in some immoral way or in how I might look down on them and criticize them.

And it helps me to see people in inappropriate contentography as ones who are being used and not loved. And have compassion for them, care about them, learn how to love them so I am not just using them to look at them.

Upvote 0

Trayalc

Jan 2, 2019
Georgia
✟32,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, I'm not sure about if you need to fight for her, but I don't really know what you mean by this.

But I have found it helps me a lot to know a real woman of love, so I can see how much good a lady of love is. And I have known women in the church culture, who could behave and dress more or less in a inappropriate contentographic way . . . even during church occasions; so I need to be able to love these people and not let them get to me in some immoral way or in how I might look down on them and criticize them.

And it helps me to see people in inappropriate contentography as ones who are being used and not loved. And have compassion for them, care about them, learn how to love them so I am not just using them to look at them.
My apologies -- what I mean by "fighting for her" is that I would hope having a godly woman in my life would motivate me all the more to conquer this besetting sin.

And I understand what you mean. I will be careful not to get involved with a woman of questionable morals in the church culture. And I want to make sure that my motivations for dating would be pure as well.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Healthy relationships helps keep sin at bay, including inappropriate content.

Forget about motives, clear your head. Don't overcomplicate things, you'll be fine.

DO find a good woman though. Find the wrong woman and your life would be a living nightmare. Avoid worldly women. Those whose heart is still set on worldly, material things. There's quite plenty of such women these days even among Christian women so choose very carefully. They can only be nice in good days but in trying times, they'll make your world a living nightmare. Hell on Earth.

It's ironic these worldly Christian women have figured out to disguise themselves as simple, un-worldly women by not wearing make up, wearing cheap, simple clothes. Very convincing disguise but are corrupted, greedy creatures underneath.

Reactions: Trayalc
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Staying alone won't solve your problem. Maybe dating will distract you from it for a while. What is inviolate is that you treat her right, whether you slip with inappropriate content or not.

75% vs. 99%: inappropriate content Consumption Rates Among Young Adults are Underreported

With inappropriate content consumption rates being what they are, you can expect that if she's not dating you, she's dating someone else who watches inappropriate content, or has watched it recently. So you might as well date women too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

241656_73a4b943f6c592cdf71a88c50d5eb4d8.jpg

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Am I even worthy right now to date anyone? Would it be wrong for me to do so? If I date her, when should I confess to her the sexual sins of my past? Does this all disqualify me?

I think you are, you've made the commitment to the change and it has been several months. As long as the sins of the past are kept in the past, it's not something that needs to be discussed. Stay on Covenant Eyes with your friend.

Upvote 0