hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We moved to this village 3 years ago during Covid, and decided not to travel but attend either the Methodist or the Anglican church.
I am trying to get a handle on how much of Wesley's passion and theology is still energising this congregation. Most sermons are about social justice and being nice to people. Sometimes the theology is just sloppy. This is my body, BROKEN for you. No, it wasn't, it was GIVEN for us, in fulfilment of prophecy. Even the liturgy that is used in the communion says GIVEN.
Although clearly Jesus is important in this circuit, I have never heard an explanation of why Jesus died. It's a huge hole in the reason to attend Church, worship or serve God.
The fact that Jesus died to turn God's wrath away from sinful mankind is clearly too much strong meat. But when a reformed preacher stuck his neck out and affirmed that in the cross of Christ, God found His peace with mankind, an incredible doubt and insecurity was lifted from my spirit.
I really think that the culture and preaching at the church is feed us with legalism.
What do you think?

• Prayers
Reactions: riesie

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You should go where the Gospel is preached and you are fed. If that is somewhere else then it may be time to go, at least for a season. The minister could always be replaced, you may want to bring up some of those issues that you mentioned with the Bishop.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have never heard an explanation of why Jesus died.
I am sorry but methodism in the UK lost what the gospel is years ago.
You could try talking to the minister and local preachers on the circuit, asking 'Why they don't talk about the rason Jesus died and why he rose from the dead. You will get answers that show they do understand the gospel, but for some reason they don't preach it.

You could become a lay preacher and preach the gospel, would be interesting to see how they took it.
Otherwise find a church that preaches and practises the gospel and join them.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think most methodist preachers on the circuit think the same way. Far more important in their emphasis is environmentalism than the Work of Christ. One retired preacher and his wife are attending and the guy particularly is very sympathetic to my persuasion. But his wife is discouraging him, it seems, from discussing the atonement with me. She is keen that the boat is not rocked too much. After all, we might lose some of the congregation if we talk about deserving hell and needing Christ's new birth in us.

• Prayers
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟548,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like stories..
- during the early days of 'Methodist Movement.'
- & 'Circuit Riders.'
---
I was involved in UMC (Methodist).
- in 1970's.
---
More of His guidance & discernment to you..

Last edited:
Upvote 0