Should I just give up

jim1174

Jul 13, 2007
✟19,518.00
Faith
Catholic
I seems like every one around me is better off than I am. every one in my family has a better job than me, kids, wife, I am in my 40's unmarried no kids which i would love to have and i have a crappie job . I have tried to improve my situation but doing online dating for years now but it hasn't worked out. I graduated college in 2015 and have since been trying to get a job with one of the oil refineries in my area but no job yet. sometimes i think my life turned out this way because i haven't been the best christian. Should i just give up trying to make my life better ?

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Matthew 6:20
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

1 Timothy 6:6-10
6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content. 9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and harmful lusts which drown men in destruction and perdition. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't give up. Sometimes as the adage states, "it is darkest before the dawn." Trust in God, believe on Him. Do things to deepen your relationship. It will turn out better than if you did not trust Him. I just said a prayer for you.

Faithfully,

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We should always be striving to make our lives the best that is possible, but our mindset in doing so is critical. Paul gives an important general principle in 1Cor 7, during his discourse on marriage.

Were you a bondservant when called? Do not be concerned about it. (But if you can gain your freedom, avail yourself of the opportunity.) -1Cor 7:21​

He's saying that we should always be looking for opportunities for something better, but that we should do so with an attitude of contentment. That becomes a protection for us, because if we become desperate and lose our peace, we are prone to make mistakes and bad decisions, often pursuing things that are outside of His will. When we are content in God we can evaluate things rightly, and more clearly choose what is best for us. We then tend to make good decisions, and we also tend to attract to us the right people who can help us on our way.

In short, we are free to live the best life we can in Him, and it often pays to love and serve the Lord even in this life.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I seems like every one around me is better off than I am. every one in my family has a better job than me, kids, wife, I am in my 40's unmarried no kids which i would love to have and i have a crappie job . I have tried to improve my situation but doing online dating for years now but it hasn't worked out. I graduated college in 2015 and have since been trying to get a job with one of the oil refineries in my area but no job yet. sometimes i think my life turned out this way because i haven't been the best christian. Should i just give up trying to make my life better ?
Hi Jim. In a way this is funny because I too feel like everyone around me is better off than I am. They have better jobs, more money, better marriages, etc. I feel this way despite the fact that I have a decent job making pretty good money, I have what I hope will be enough money in my IRA (for retirement), I have a good Christian wife, and very good and successful kids.

My point is, you can always find people better off than you. But you could also always find people worse off than you. (Have you ever been to a 3rd-world country? Or even in the downtown of a large city?)

The solution, I think, is to not compare yourself to others. Be thankful for what you *do* have instead of resentful for what you don't have. Continue your journey to be more Christlike. Continue your journey to better yourself in whatever areas you think need improving.

Don't give up.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Of course we do not think you should give up. However, one of the problems people in your situation face is that they are constantly working over the same prospects.

Its the same approach to meeting women, the same pool of possible employers, and so on. But they never do the obvious and relocate.

If you were to move to another city, you could start fresh with a whole new world of prospects. That idea would apply to most things but not the matter of online dating. I would recommend giving that up. Better to find friends/dates at work, in social settings, in a new church, and so on though relocating.

Upvote 0

Zatek

Mar 5, 2015
✟26,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is the advice forum, not the pity party forum. Ask a real question such as: "I've been searching for a job in my field for X months but can't find a job, what should I do?". "Should I just give up?" is a pity party question.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
FWIW, I disagree. People often ask our advice when they feel like they've hit some wall in their lives. They hope there is something that they've overlooked and we represent a big --but anonymous :)-- pool of people who might have the answer. Sometimes, what we reply is worthless. But sometimes we do come up with good answers. Really.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Yes, Jim you should give up...that is, surrender yourself and give your plans to the Lord and ask/allow Him to do whatever He wants to do in you and through you.

I Give You My Heart by HILLSONG

This is my desire to honor You
Lord, with all my heart, I worship You
All I have within me, I give You praise
All that I adore is in You

Lord, I give You my heart
I give You my soul, I live for You alone
Every breath that I take, every moment I’m awake
Lord, have Your way in me

This is my desire to honor You
Lord, with all my heart, I worship You
All I have within me, I give You praise
All that I adore is in You

And I will live
And I will live for You
And I will live
And I will live for You

Oh and I will live
And I will live
And I will live for You

Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Persistence, perseverance are key, as Jesus related some odd 2000 years ago, and the Apostles wrote of.

That is true with prayer, and can be with....

Wait a minute. Have you been praying about this consistently and with a perseverant heart? You do not even mention this in your post. If so, you can certainly have strong confidence God will respond.

But, what is it *really* you want most of all?

Just a job and a girlfriend? Those are usually pretty easy tasks to achieve.

Upvote 0

TheGirlOnFire

By order of the Peaky blinders
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2014
Hogwarts
✟124,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Jim, Keep going, I know its hard but actually putting yourself through College is awesome. We all hit bumps in the road, its pushing through.

Are you involved in your church? What about volunteering maybe or taking up a hobby, these are ways to met someone and also stop feeling so lonely?

On the job, keep digging in, and applying.

You are only 40, plenty of time left. Its about trusting God and putting our faith in him

Upvote 0