Should I join the Mormon Church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

occultstudent

Aug 12, 2007
✟7,693.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
I have left the cultist this post and started a new thread with it.

Joseph Smith and polygami, christians? Racism?

A christian basicly is a man that follows the bible, and belives that christ is the incarnation of God.

Then how can mormons call themselves christians, when you follow another book and worshipp another prophet even if the bible is clear that jesus was the last one?

Dont you think that christians might get offended if other religions come with their books? Quaran, hindu vedas and the book of mormons. And call themselves christians?

And why is it that Jesus, God, and Joseph Smith will be the 3 judges that determine where you go when you die? Isnt God the only judge?
But of course according to Mormonism anyone can be a God, Godhood is the supreme goal of each mormon.

Then we have the Polygami part, why was it that Joseph Smith said that polygami is essential to mormonism. And at the same time the so called "church" took it away just so that Utah could be aknowledge state-hood?

Its like if christians would take away Jesus to become muslims. Its a key thing that is essential to the religion.

And then we have the racism. God made the black man cause he punished them for not fighting Satan when he and Jesus where at war.
Couldnt God have made them black cause he made them live in Africa where you need to be black or be indoors during the day?

Then we have the ancient American cities. Wich cities if I may ask? And the book of Mormon talks about wars with hundreds of thousands of men of each side fighting near modern day New York.
They recently found spearheads of a persian army of 5000 in the north african sahara dessert that is bigger than the USA itself.
It was like a needle in a haysack. But they found it cause it was there.

But then again, you cant find anything of a much larger army in a much smaller area, why is that?

Upvote 0

DarkNLovely

Dark am I, yet lovely.....Song of Songs 1:5
Jul 25, 2007
Where da party at!
✟18,913.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have left the cultist this post and started a new thread with it.

In case if they remove it, like they excomunicate members that speak their mind, you can read it right here.

Joseph Smith and polygami, christians? Racism?

A christian basicly is a man that follows the bible, and belives that christ is the incarnation of God.

Then how can mormons call themselves christians, when you follow another book and worshipp another prophet even if the bible is clear that jesus was the last one?

Dont you think that christians might get offended if other religions come with their books? Quaran, hindu vedas and the book of mormons. And call themselves christians?

And why is it that Jesus, God, and Joseph Smith will be the 3 judges that determine where you go when you die? Isnt God the only judge?
But of course according to Mormonism anyone can be a God, Godhood is the supreme goal of each mormon.

Then we have the Polygami part, why was it that Joseph Smith said that polygami is essential to mormonism. And at the same time the so called "church" took it away just so that Utah could be aknowledge state-hood?

Its like if christians would take away Jesus to become muslims. Its a key thing that is essential to the religion.

And then we have the racism. God made the black man cause he punished them for not fighting Satan when he and Jesus where at war.
Couldnt God have made them black cause he made them live in Africa where you need to be black or be indoors during the day?

Then we have the ancient American cities. Wich cities if I may ask? And the book of Mormon talks about wars with hundreds of thousands of men of each side fighting near modern day New York.
They recently found spearheads of a persian army of 5000 in the north african sahara dessert that is bigger than the USA itself.
It was like a needle in a haysack. But they found it cause it was there.

But then again, you cant find anything of a much larger army in a much smaller area, why is that?
I would love to here an LDS response to this.

Upvote 0

bithiah2

Jah is my strength and song!
Jun 12, 2006
metro
✟18,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i would never join a religion that said i was cursed.
i know they used to say that a black person could get into heaven, but they could only clean the toilets.:sorry:
now they let black people in like Gladys Knight because she has money.
and some others who just don't know any better. it's best to stick with the Holy Bible only.
nothing else compares to it.
bithiah2

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
i know they used to say that a black person could get into heaven, but they could only clean the toilets.:sorry:
and some others who just don't know any better. it's best to stick with the Holy Bible only.
bithiah2

While this is no longer an official teaching of the church, several sects still hold onto this belief.

Upvote 0
bithiah2
I think it might help you to read this web site,

Upvote 0

DarkNLovely

Jul 25, 2007
Where da party at!
✟18,913.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think it might help you to read this web site,
No offense, but that truly does not help! I was on the LDS board and sombody posted a scripture that was very disturbing. The fact that at some point in history anybody, black or not, with African blood had to step out of the priesthood is terrible and it's very clear that these changes were made due to modern pressures.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No offense, but that truly does not help! I was on the LDS board and sombody posted a scripture that was very disturbing. The fact that at some point in history anybody, black or not, with African blood had to step out of the priesthood is terrible and it's very clear that these changes were made due to modern pressures.

My understanding--and Apex is invited to correct me if this is not right--is that of the TWO priesthoods, blacks are still not allowed to be part of the one that in most other churches would be considered the ordained ministry. Only the Aaronic priesthood that every LDS boy ordinarily is admitted to and which concerns itself with low-level tasks is open to them.

Upvote 0
My understanding--and Apex is invited to correct me if this is not right--is that of the TWO priesthoods, blacks are still not allowed to be part of the one that in most other churches would be considered the ordained ministry. Only the Aaronic priesthood that every LDS boy ordinarily is admitted to and which concerns itself with low-level tasks is open to them.
This is wrong. Both levels of the Priesthood are open to everyone.

Upvote 0
No offense, but that truly does not help! I was on the LDS board and sombody posted a scripture that was very disturbing.
And what was that scripture? This sentence is kind of confusing, I don't know what you are trying to say.
The fact that at some point in history anybody, black or not, with African blood had to step out of the priesthood is terrible and it's very clear that these changes were made due to modern pressures.
Have you ever looked at how other churches of the time treated African-Americans? To be part of mainstream-Christianity and criticize the LDS Church for its treatment of blacks is hypocritical. Most Churches back then did not even allow blacks to join and still thought of them as sub-human. We allowed them to join our Church, thought of them as equals, and allowed them to take part in every aspect of it except the priesthood. The Bible even sets a precedence for only allowing certain people of a particular decent to hold the Priesthood at certain times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bithiah2

Jun 12, 2006
metro
✟18,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And what was that scripture? This sentence is kind of confusing, I don't know what you are trying to say.

Quote:
The fact that at some point in history anybody, black or not, with African blood had to step out of the priesthood is terrible and it's very clear that these changes were made due to modern pressures.
Have you ever looked at how other churches of the time treated African-Americans? To be part of mainstream-Christianity and criticize the LDS Church for its treatment of blacks is hypocritical. Most Churches back then did not even allow blacks to join and still thought of them as sub-human. We allowed them to join our Church, thought of them as equals, and allowed them to take part in every aspect of it except the priesthood. The Bible even sets a precedence for only allowing certain people of a particular decent to hold the Priesthood at certain times.:help:

actually that is why a lot of people of African descent want no parts of Christianity, because of this lie that has been perpetrated in the name of god (i purposely did not capitalize). there are still some people who claim to be Christian who still see anyone black as less than human...which to me, means that they don't know God at all.
one reason why we started our own churches was due to the warped beliefs of these so-called saints. the AME church, the COGIC, and others were formed largely because of segregation.
BUT those who kept this going were acting on their personal warped belief system, not on a written church doctrine. so for anyone to say,:doh: "we allowed them to join our church, and treated them as equals[...]and the Bible even sets precedence..." and so on is a slap in the face.
i am one of them...of African-Caribbean descent.
and as one of them, my God says "whosoever will" is welcome. i according to the word of my God, i have been made a priest and have the right to enter the presence of God at anytime.
and althoough i respect the rights of anyone who wants to worship the god of their choice, i will not be part of any group who sees me as less than they are. there are no excuses for this.
as i said, Glady Knight has money...so of course she is welcomed in.
:yum: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
bithiah2

Upvote 0

Quote:
Have you ever looked at how other churches of the time treated African-Americans? To be part of mainstream-Christianity and criticize the LDS Church for its treatment of blacks is hypocritical. Most Churches back then did not even allow blacks to join and still thought of them as sub-human. We allowed them to join our Church, thought of them as equals, and allowed them to take part in every aspect of it except the priesthood. The Bible even sets a precedence for only allowing certain people of a particular decent to hold the Priesthood at certain times.:help:

actually that is why a lot of people of African descent want no parts of Christianity, because of this lie that has been perpetrated in the name of god (i purposely did not capitalize). there are still some people who claim to be Christian who still see anyone black as less than human...which to me, means that they don't know God at all.
one reason why we started our own churches was due to the warped beliefs of these so-called saints. the AME church, the COGIC, and others were formed largely because of segregation.
BUT those who kept this going were acting on their personal warped belief system, not on a written church doctrine. so for anyone to say,:doh: "we allowed them to join our church, and treated them as equals[...]and the Bible even sets precedence..." and so on is a slap in the face.
i am one of them...of African-Caribbean descent.
and as one of them, my God says "whosoever will" is welcome. i according to the word of my God, i have been made a priest and have the right to enter the presence of God at anytime.
and althoough i respect the rights of anyone who wants to worship the god of their choice, i will not be part of any group who sees me as less than they are. there are no excuses for this.
as i said, Glady Knight has money...so of course she is welcomed in.
:yum: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
bithiah2
I guess there is no convincing you with logic... especially if your gona hold on to the Gladys Knight thing. Does that mean the african-american girl in my ward is filthy rich as well?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A good place to start would be here, although if you google Mormon truth you'll find many good sites.

I don't think a biased tract by a Baptist preacher is a good place start for researching Mormonism. The best place to start for reserching any religion is "straight from the horse's mouth". For Mormons it would be the official website of the LDS, which is the largest branch:

http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg

I would also highly reccommend reading their sacred texts such as the Book of Mormon for starters. This way, you can come to your own conclusions.

Finally, I would suggest that you ask questions in the Latter Day Saints forum. You've heard a lot of opinions against the LDS church here in this thread. It is only fair to here the other side of the story from Mormons themselves.

Good luck on your decision. :wave:

Upvote 0

bithiah2

Jun 12, 2006
metro
✟18,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I guess there is no convincing you with logic... especially if your gona hold on to the Gladys Knight thing. Does that mean the african-american girl in my ward is filthy rich as well?
i doan noah she...:cool:

so i really cannot answer that question.

blessings
bithiah2

Upvote 0

DarkNLovely

Jul 25, 2007
Where da party at!
✟18,913.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Have you ever looked at how other churches of the time treated African-Americans? To be part of mainstream-Christianity and criticize the LDS Church for its treatment of blacks is hypocritical. Most Churches back then did not even allow blacks to join and still thought of them as sub-human. We allowed them to join our Church, thought of them as equals, and allowed them to take part in every aspect of it except the priesthood. The Bible even sets a precedence for only allowing certain people of a particular decent to hold the Priesthood at certain times.
You obviously know nothing about the Christian abolistionists. To justify Morman hatred of balcks by using the "Well, everybody was doing it!" arugument is further proof why every person needs to look at LDS with a very critical eye. Also, those biblical priests were not set apart to be priests because they were superior or because others were less than them. Read the Bible.

Upvote 0
R

Renton405

Its funny, cause the Book of Mormon always touched my heart. It straight on with repentance in Christ and Jesus Christ being the only way to be saved.. But I could never bring myself to join.. If the DNA of Native Americans did show they were from Israel or if archeology could find some proof(like the city zarahemla) I might be more inclined..I still do find the Mormon church very interesting and the BOM can be a helpful tool with strengthning ones faith..

I think some of us are giving the Mormon Church a bad rap. They are good people.. and they do believe Jesus is the Christ...They are Christians..I think people should read the Book of Mormon before making conclusions. If you can get through all the battles between the Lamanites and the Nephites you will find some worthwhile stuff..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.