Should I join the Mormon Church?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no archaeological evidence to support any of the events in the Book of Mormon. Also, the church has been rocked be several forged antiquity issues.

We Catholics would love to have you. Two thousand years of history and over a Billion members, we must have something right!

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There is no archaeological evidence to support any of the events in the Book of Mormon. Also, the church has been rocked be several forged antiquity issues.

We Catholics would love to have you. Two thousand years of history and over a Billion members, we must have something right!

Yeah, no birth control!! ;)

Upvote 0

occultstudent

Aug 12, 2007
✟7,693.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox

Well you do lose so many people to protestantism. So it must be that you dont have safe sex.

Upvote 0

occultstudent

Aug 12, 2007
✟7,693.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Exhuming the bodies? Somehow I find that too farfetched to be possible.
They didnt use the bodies. They took people that died in the holocaust and made the into mormons. without even asking the children if they wanted to.

they said "they died jews, and we want them to remain jews"

Upvote 0

DarkNLovely

Dark am I, yet lovely.....Song of Songs 1:5
Jul 25, 2007
Where da party at!
✟18,913.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They do this with every person they believe was not a Mormon. They believe that where their souls are they can still hear the gospel of Mormonism. Jews were not singled out. Many people don't realize that the LDS has the largest database of names in the world, so if you are looking for your family histoy, theyare a great place to start. They go through all these names and a person stands in proxy to be baptized for someone who was not a Morman/Christian. The person does not become Mormon, they simply have the ability to hear their message. They also stopped baptizing the names of those in the Holocaust out of respect for their families. They didn't do it to be cruel but in their minds it was showing love!

Upvote 0
FaithTriumphs, you appear to be a logical person so I thought you would like to know there are two sides to the story being presented to you. The majority of the posts here have grossly misrepresented our beliefs at best! You will find many sites on the net totally devoted to trying to destroy our Church in any way possible even if it includes dishonesty, which is almost always does. Before you make your final decision here are a few websites that might interest you, also these sites make no attempt to "convert" anyone. They are scholarly websites with some really good information.

http://www.jefflindsay.com/LDSFAQ/index.html
www.fairlds.org

Also if you have any questions there is a LDS section on this site where everyone is free to ask anything.

Upvote 0

SCJ

Veteran
Supporter
Apr 25, 2002
Middle Georgia
✟29,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In response to Apex I would just like to say that I don't think anyone here is calling a mormon wierd and trying to paint an ugly picture of them. Mormons are the nicest, most family oriented, people I have ever met. They are just completely misguided. You can be sincere, and you can be sincerely WRONG.

There is nothing to debunk any of the claims here except for information from the LDS church itself. Period. Apex also said a 'majority' is exagerated...well, I think you can agree. If even one thing listed here is true or un-exagerated then the Mormons are way off Christianity.

Deception at it's core.

Try asking them one simple question: How come the huge majority of your missionary effort takes place in the Bible Belt? If your so 'Christian' then who are you trying to convert?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AllTalkNoAction

Potentially Wonderful
Aug 7, 2005
Near London, England
Visit site
✟11,923.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
FT, most Mormon people are nice, but they are blind to the fact that the organisation they follow has more skeletons that your local graveyard.
If you want salvation you need to join God's church:-

1Cor. 12:13: For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Here's the detail from Acts . . .

Ac:10:44: While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
:45: And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

:46: For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. . . .

Peter reports . .

Ac:11:14: Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.
:15: And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
:16: Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you wish ask a question please post a thread in the LDS section.

The purpose of the OP was to ask Christians who are NOT LDS.

No doubt he is already aware that there is LDS forum if he wishes to avail himself of it in order to ask further questions of Mormons.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The purpose of the OP was to ask Christians who are NOT LDS.

No doubt he is already aware that there is LDS forum if he wishes to avail himself of it in order to ask further questions of Mormons.

I know that I would ask Christians in general first. Each religion is biased towards itself, for one thing. However, in the case of such religions such as Mormonism, JW, etc., they are not only biases but completely dishonest at first blush. It's nice to say "we believe in Jesus as Christ" but what do you do when two years down the road you finally learn that Jesus isn't the way to heaven and that he's not God in any way shape or form, and that he wasn't born of a virgin and conceived by the Holy Spirit?

TRUE Christianity traces back to the bible and to scripture. I have never, in all my studies of the Mormon faith, found the link to scripture, and it's not for lack of trying.

As for going to the LDS forum, I believe we're not allowed to debate there, so I tend to stay away from going to certain individual denominational fora because I hate seeing Christianity twisted so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you have a problem with our faith then step up and ask to have it explained in the LDS section. You are allowed to debate there, thats why its there. You will find that all of us LDS here will be more than happy to answer any questions/arguments you have.

I find that refreshing and appreciate the invitation. If only we were interested. But it was one poster, Faith Triumphs, who was interested...and I see nothing wrong, in fact it's quite understandable, with him wanting to hear both sides.

Chances are, he'd want to hear from someone NOT a member of any particular religion, not just LDS, if he were considering joining it but not sure if that would be a good move.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If you wish to know what someone believes, it is best to ask that person. It makes not logical sense to ask those who are opposed to it.

If was interested in becoming, say, Catholic, I would first ask other Christians about the Catholic faith. If I liked what I saw there, then I would go to a priest and ask more detailed questions.

Here's the thing, your church is only as good as it's viewed by outsiders, at least for someone looking for a church.

I've stated how I felt about Mormons, and my information is as good as what comes from the mouth of a Mormon, as that's where I got it from.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Taking this statement and applying it to ancient Christianity would mean that Christians are just part of a faddish cult with no real value.

So how does what you said make sense?

Oh please, do I really need to explain it?

If your church is bunk to outsiders, and I ask an outsider about it, do you really think I'm going to be interested in it? Of course not. But if your church has merit, then outsiders are going to know that, whether they agree with it or not.

Again, using the Catholic religion (so that you don't feel 'picked on') if someone asked me about them, I could tell the negative aspects of being Catholic, but I could also tell them many positives and I could encourage them to go ask a priest, and I would.

In the case of Mormons, there is no positive to speak of.

Your use of the words "faddish cult" is ironic, considering your church tops the list of many "cult" lists.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.