Should I function in Society with my illness?

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
For some people with disabilities and deformities it's possible to still function in society. My illness as I have mentioned it before is not one that I believe it is possible to function in society at all.

So what is it God would have me do with my life with a disability that is such?

I am working on my own business because this disease makes me subject to ridicule and mistreatment by employers and coworkers. I have to either stay single forever or marry someone like me or warn everyone I date about my illness. I feel utterly shunned from society and feel like what's the point of trying. Society I'd for normal people. I'm wondering if I should even try to live and function in this society like a normal person or if I should just say whatever and do what I want with mt life since this disease takes the joy out of whatever I do so that I could be homeless and suffering or with a house and car and suffering still. Seems like what good is anything if people can't even stand to be around you and treat you like less than a human being. At least if I had cancer or something people would care. What I have no one even knows about and so I get mocked and bullied.

My liver is messed up so that I give off awful smells of whatever I eat or put on and I do not have the money or compassion from the medical community to receive help.

I am excluded by people from virtually everything. I found a support groups for people like me, but I feel that my life is utterly worthless. I am only 25 and i've had this for 5 years and i've prayed. And I do not intend to end myself and condemn myself to the lake of fire....

If God doesn't cure me what else could he possibly use someone like me for? Everyone I come in contact with ridicules me and my suffering seems to never end. I've went into debt trying to fix myself and losing support of family members.

I feel like there is no point to my suffering. How can God possibly get any glory out of seeing me be ridiculed daily for an odor from my liver which I can not control. Wondering if my liver will just give out one day....

Last edited:

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟724,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
So your doctors do not know of any special diet you could go on that may relieve some of your symptoms? I think it sounds like there may be no medication for it. I do not envy the position you are in. Are you able to financially support yourself? I can see why you would not want to go to a job where you work closely with others. I have heard of some medical billing and coding jobs you work from home. Also some call center and customer service type jobs where you work from your phone and computer at home. On thing that is good is I don't see you blaming yourself because it is not your fault.

Due to suffering from a very severw depression, I have gone through phases of not bathing which I know is totally different than your situation but I was in a position a few times where I gave off an odor that made others uncomfortable and I was embarrassed. I ended up quitting a job I was so embarrassed my manager had to speak to me about it. So I can say I know a little about what you are going through but not exactly. My issue was mental health.

Do you mind disclosing what the name of your condition is? Maybe I could look it up and learn a little about it and then talk to you about some solutions. I think you are asking the board for help and I would really like to do all I can to help you think of some positive steps to take to improve your situation. Until then, I will pray to the Lord above for some relief for you. God Bless and be back soon

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
So your doctors do not know of any special diet you could go on that may relieve some of your symptoms? I think it sounds like there may be no medication for it. I do not envy the position you are in. Are you able to financially support yourself? I can see why you would not want to go to a job where you work closely with others. I have heard of some medical billing and coding jobs you work from home. Also some call center and customer service type jobs where you work from your phone and computer at home. On thing that is good is I don't see you blaming yourself because it is not your fault.

Due to suffering from a very severw depression, I have gone through phases of not bathing which I know is totally different than your situation but I was in a position a few times where I gave off an odor that made others uncomfortable and I was embarrassed. I ended up quitting a job I was so embarrassed my manager had to speak to me about it. So I can say I know a little about what you are going through but not exactly. My issue was mental health.

Do you mind disclosing what the name of your condition is? Maybe I could look it up and learn a little about it and then talk to you about some solutions. I think you are asking the board for help and I would really like to do all I can to help you think of some positive steps to take to improve your situation. Until then, I will pray to the Lord above for some relief for you. God Bless and be back soon

Thank you for your compassion. This is probably one of the most compassionate responses I've ever received when I told someone my story. I think the worst thing about this is I haven't been able to put a name to this problem. I haven't received a proper diagnosis because doctors keep dismissing my problem. They do not listen to me and act like I am making it up so I've suffered years. The thing is I don't smell all the time. I go through episodes. I eat and then 2-4 hours explosive blasts of odor come from me, ketchup, eggs, fecal, French fries, onions, anything I ate the night before. I also smell like what the toothpaste I brush my teeth with hours after.

I've tried diets, supplements, detoxing, exercise, not eating, tried everything. Still the explosive odor comes every few minutes.

I'm wondering if it could be either portal shunting the blood from gut passing the liver and going into my bloodstream or if it's a genetic problem resulting in enzyme deficiency like tmau.

All the money I've spent and the doctors don't care they haven't listened to me. All they do is try to push medications for depression and it makes me mad because my illness is real. I don't need mental health meds I need a diagnosis and treatment.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The hard thing is when your disabled people (christians too) can be mean about it. They will say things like "Well my christian friend has cancer and lives fine now!" or they will mention that christian guy who has no arms or legs and say "Look at all he can do!". To me thats just offensive.

Great for him, seriously he is inspiring. But it doesn't mean everyone can do that or have that happy all the time attitude he does. Especially if you have other issues going on. And in some cases literally cannot do what he can. Even if you have both arms and legs. Theres also the "If you pray hard enough you will be healed!" thing. Not saying it doesn't work, but maybe God has plans for someone whos not healed.

Which leads me to my answer for you. Use what you have to help others. With my disabilties I have used them to help other christians who are in the spot I once was where I sadly felt suicide was an answer to being free of this damaged body. I mean life will still have its issues, but at least helping other makes you feel better.

Is what you have possibly "Trimethylaminuria"? I know there are a few names for it. And there really isn't any cure aside from staying away from certain items that can make the smell worse. I do know that the few people that have the problem with smell talk alot like you. They can't live their life, at least not around other humans because they literally feel like they are pushed away.

Theres no answer I could give you that can help with it really. Though to be fair YOU are not the problem. Other people are the problem because they judge you. You did nothing wrong and shouldn't feel bad. Even if it feels like you have no one that cares about you, remember that is not true. Because God ALWAYS loves you. He will never stop loving you. He feels the pain of seeing you shunned.

I honestly pray and hope they find a cure. I pray and hope someone will be with you forever and be caring and compassionate. It will take someone special. Just as if the case with my wife. Shes compassionate for me. This may sound silly but I do not mean it to sound that way but maybe you can find someone who has disorder that causes them to not be able to smell. It does exist. It would be a perfect combo. Granted you still have to deal with other people. But with someone at your side not judging you, it will make things much easier.

I also you feel Gods love for you. And that He fills you with hope and strength. I myself also remember this life is temporal. Even though it has MANY times where its terrible, I know my new body after I pass will be free of these problems. So its my joy knowing I can live forever without any issues.

Reactions: Angeleyes7715
Upvote 0

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
"For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God." ~ 1 Corinthians 1:26-29

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,775.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm wondering if I should even try to live and function in this society like a normal person

Jesus doesn't see our society as normal but ruled by evil - 1 John 5:19.

My liver is messed up so that I give off awful smells of whatever I eat or put on and I do not have the money or compassion from the medical community to receive help.

Fasting and/or switching to vegetarian foods. Avoid processed foods or fast food (make your own).

Similar to dealing with evil spirits. In fact, foul smells coming from body may be connected with evil spirits. Not saying it is the case but if all medical solution fails, it's probably the culprit.

I am excluded by people from virtually everything. I found a support groups for people like me, but I feel that my life is utterly worthless. I am only 25 and i've had this for 5 years and i've prayed. And I do not intend to end myself and condemn myself to the lake of fire....

You didn't have it before?

If God doesn't cure me what else could he possibly use someone like me for?

Don't worry about it. Don't be pressured by all the common beliefs flying around in the popular brands of Christianity. Read John 12:47-48.

I feel like there is no point to my suffering. How can God possibly get any glory out of seeing me be ridiculed daily for an odor from my liver which I can not control. Wondering if my liver will just give out one day....

I used to have a similar problem, probably not as bad as yours but nevertheless, it also harmed my opportunities and relationships. It also coincided with the time I'm dealing with evil spirits that are bothering me. After many years, I had victory and the problem going away with it.

I think a huge part of the cure came from a change of attitude. I used to have a bad temper that I don't always express but it's there and I got angry very easily. I faced major situation in life and I was forced to change all that so I guess it's all a blessing and I got cured! Although I'm still not perfect, still facing anxiety issues for example. It's not too late for you. I took several years but with no medical intervention. Simply change of beliefs and attitude and also fasting.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟724,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Thank you for your compassion. This is probably one of the most compassionate responses I've ever received when I told someone my story. I think the worst thing about this is I haven't been able to put a name to this problem. I haven't received a proper diagnosis because doctors keep dismissing my problem. They do not listen to me and act like I am making it up so I've suffered years. The thing is I don't smell all the time. I go through episodes. I eat and then 2-4 hours explosive blasts of odor come from me, ketchup, eggs, fecal, French fries, onions, anything I ate the night before. I also smell like what the toothpaste I brush my teeth with hours after.

I've tried diets, supplements, detoxing, exercise, not eating, tried everything. Still the explosive odor comes every few minutes.

I'm wondering if it could be either portal shunting the blood from gut passing the liver and going into my bloodstream or if it's a genetic problem resulting in enzyme deficiency like tmau.

All the money I've spent and the doctors don't care they haven't listened to me. All they do is try to push medications for depression and it makes me mad because my illness is real. I don't need mental health meds I need a diagnosis and treatment.

I think you need a clinic that is equipped to handle rare conditions. Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic Mayo Clinic they don't have you just see a doctor and send you out the door. When they see you, a whole team of doctors looks at your situation. People come from all over the world to go there. The only problem is, will your insurance pay for it? I know they also have financial assistance and they are always looking to treat conditions that people have found no relief from. I went there for something and they helped me. Nobody could figure out what was wrong with me and I was basically slowly dying.

Have you brought up the portal shunting or tmau with your doctor? I would also just consider the antidepressants, they won't make you feel great but they may take the edgeof any depression you may br feeling due to your condition. U also wouldn't be shy about talking to a therapist about how this is affecting you. They can be very helpful. I have one for my depression/anxiety and he helps me a great deal.

I apologize if it seems I am just barking orders at you. I think when we see someone who is hurting we want to make it stop. If your intention was just to be heard and not given advice, please feel free to disregard anything I have said.

I sincerely hope you can come to some sort of resolution about your situation. I'll be praying for you,

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
warn everyone I date about my illness
Not that it is necessarily comforting, but the older you get, the less you will perceive a need to do this, because of the maturity of the other people. There will always be some that care and some that don't, though, even around your age. One example would be someone who is "born nurse." Finding them is another matter, which is why I think the following is all you need to be concerned about right now:

“Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. “I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. (John 15:4-5, NASB)

All you have to do to please God is continue to try to know him better. Even if you think you are failing, this will please God.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30, 1984 NIV)

She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. ... “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:39, 41-42, 1984 NIV)

Unfortunately, this does not quickly address the feeling we have of wanting to be useful (actually, wanting to be accepted and loved). I haven't figured this one out myself, except that it is a long-term process. I am currently experiencing what you described about that. However, I know that it is not something I need to worry about, because God will lift me up at the right time.

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. (1 Peter 5:6, 1984 NIV)

(If you do what Mary was doing and abiding in Christ, then you are probably humbling yourself.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus doesn't see our society as normal but ruled by evil - 1 John 5:19.

Fasting and/or switching to vegetarian foods. Avoid processed foods or fast food (make your own).

Similar to dealing with evil spirits. In fact, foul smells coming from body may be connected with evil spirits. Not saying it is the case but if all medical solution fails, it's probably the culprit.

You didn't have it before?

Don't worry about it. Don't be pressured by all the common beliefs flying around in the popular brands of Christianity. Read John 12:47-48.

I used to have a similar problem, probably not as bad as yours but nevertheless, it also harmed my opportunities and relationships. It also coincided with the time I'm dealing with evil spirits that are bothering me. After many years, I had victory and the problem going away with it.

I think a huge part of the cure came from a change of attitude. I used to have a bad temper that I don't always express but it's there and I got angry very easily. I faced major situation in life and I was forced to change all that so I guess it's all a blessing and I got cured! Although I'm still not perfect, still facing anxiety issues for example. It's not too late for you. I took several years but with no medical intervention. Simply change of beliefs and attitude and also fasting.

Fasting helps, it really does but only if I do it for several days and I cave in and eat. I have changed my diet and it helps, but honestly my smell switches to whatever i eat. My plan was to displace the bad odor with lemon scent. So I started drinking lemon tea. It kind of worked as people at my job though someone was cleaning their desk cause the lemon smell started coming off me, but the lemon scent alternated with other smells from foods I had eaten a day before :(.

And today I smelled strong like onions. I took activated charcoal trying to cleanse and it just draws it out way more. The entire cubicle area stunk like onions... I had salsa yesterday :(.

Tomorrow I have to get my hair trimmed and I fasted for half the day and tonight I ate a salad... but I added ham cause I really really wanted it :/. Sometimes I feel like staying away from foods doesn't help that that much. The only ones I know I can't touch for sure or I give off rotten egg scents french fries, peanut butter/ nut butters/ bread/ dough, and dairy.

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think you need a clinic that is equipped to handle rare conditions. Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic Mayo Clinic they don't have you just see a doctor and send you out the door. When they see you, a whole team of doctors looks at your situation. People come from all over the world to go there. The only problem is, will your insurance pay for it? I know they also have financial assistance and they are always looking to treat conditions that people have found no relief from. I went there for something and they helped me. Nobody could figure out what was wrong with me and I was basically slowly dying.

Have you brought up the portal shunting or tmau with your doctor? I would also just consider the antidepressants, they won't make you feel great but they may take the edgeof any depression you may br feeling due to your condition. U also wouldn't be shy about talking to a therapist about how this is affecting you. They can be very helpful. I have one for my depression/anxiety and he helps me a great deal.

I apologize if it seems I am just barking orders at you. I think when we see someone who is hurting we want to make it stop. If your intention was just to be heard and not given advice, please feel free to disregard anything I have said.

I sincerely hope you can come to some sort of resolution about your situation. I'll be praying for you,

My school let me see a mayo clinic dr. And she only saw me for 5 minutes and didn't seem to listen. I didn't get a team of drs or anything like that, but I don't think I have the right insurance to get the real thing.

I am not going the meds route. I can't really take anything anyway it will just mess up my liver more. I had a terrible reaction to NyQuil and woke up with a cold sensation in my liver that spread through my scalp. I was jittery and shaking and couldn't sit down so I'm scared to take medications and things now. I never use to react to NyQuil or meds until I developed this disease.

I will mention some of this to my primary care dr. when I go back but I get really irritated because all they seem to want is to throw mental meds at me and I don't need them my condition is real. It's like they don't even hear what I'm saying sometimes. I'll mention full on what my symptoms are and they ignore everything I've said.

I did go to a counselor and he smelled me once too. I drank a ton of apple juice to prepare for a liver flush and then I showed up and he thought I was wearing peach/ fruit perfume. I told him no I drank apple juice and whatever i eat drink or put on comes off my body. Sometimes the smell is strong and sometimes not. Whatever it is seems like a metabolic disorder like TMAU just not as extreme as that. I fear that I get hepatic encephalopathy though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
My school let me see a mayo clinic dr. And she only saw me for 5 minutes and didn't seem to listen. I didn't get a team of drs or anything like that, but I don't think I have the right insurance to get the real thing.

I am not going the meds route. I can't really take anything anyway it will just mess up my liver more. I had a terrible reaction to NyQuil and woke up with a cold sensation in my liver that spread through my scalp. I was jittery and shaking and couldn't sit down so I'm scared to take medications and things now. I never use to react to NyQuil or meds until I developed this disease.

I will mention some of this to my primary care dr. when I go back but I get really irritated because all they seem to want is to throw mental meds at me and I don't need them my condition is real. It's like they don't even hear what I'm saying sometimes. I'll mention full on what my symptoms are and they ignore everything I've said.

I did go to a counselor and he smelled me once too. I drank a ton of apple juice to prepare for a liver flush and then I showed up and he thought I was wearing peach/ fruit perfume. I told him no I drank apple juice and whatever i eat drink or put on comes off my body. Sometimes the smell is strong and sometimes not. Whatever it is seems like a metabolic disorder like TMAU just not as extreme as that. I fear that I get hepatic encephalopathy though.

I honestly don't know though. I feel like drs just don't care.

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The hard thing is when your disabled people (christians too) can be mean about it. They will say things like "Well my christian friend has cancer and lives fine now!" or they will mention that christian guy who has no arms or legs and say "Look at all he can do!". To me thats just offensive.

Great for him, seriously he is inspiring. But it doesn't mean everyone can do that or have that happy all the time attitude he does. Especially if you have other issues going on. And in some cases literally cannot do what he can. Even if you have both arms and legs. Theres also the "If you pray hard enough you will be healed!" thing. Not saying it doesn't work, but maybe God has plans for someone whos not healed.

Which leads me to my answer for you. Use what you have to help others. With my disabilties I have used them to help other christians who are in the spot I once was where I sadly felt suicide was an answer to being free of this damaged body. I mean life will still have its issues, but at least helping other makes you feel better.

Is what you have possibly "Trimethylaminuria"? I know there are a few names for it. And there really isn't any cure aside from staying away from certain items that can make the smell worse. I do know that the few people that have the problem with smell talk alot like you. They can't live their life, at least not around other humans because they literally feel like they are pushed away.

Theres no answer I could give you that can help with it really. Though to be fair YOU are not the problem. Other people are the problem because they judge you. You did nothing wrong and shouldn't feel bad. Even if it feels like you have no one that cares about you, remember that is not true. Because God ALWAYS loves you. He will never stop loving you. He feels the pain of seeing you shunned.

I honestly pray and hope they find a cure. I pray and hope someone will be with you forever and be caring and compassionate. It will take someone special. Just as if the case with my wife. Shes compassionate for me. This may sound silly but I do not mean it to sound that way but maybe you can find someone who has disorder that causes them to not be able to smell. It does exist. It would be a perfect combo. Granted you still have to deal with other people. But with someone at your side not judging you, it will make things much easier.

I also you feel Gods love for you. And that He fills you with hope and strength. I myself also remember this life is temporal. Even though it has MANY times where its terrible, I know my new body after I pass will be free of these problems. So its my joy knowing I can live forever without any issues.

My disease feels just like TMAU except I don't get fish odor. I get all the other odors though rotten eggs, smoke, rotten meat, anything I've eaten or put on that day whatever is the most pungent smell. Seems like the strongest smelling things make me stink and if I eat bland foods all day I just smell like fecal or fart. I don't know what I did to deserve this disease. I didn't have this thing from birth. It hit me at age 20.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟724,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

Yeah that hepatic encephalopathy seems to be pretty horrible but thankfully, you seem to have all of your cognitive abilities from what I can tell. I would investigate this TMAU further or mention the condition to the doctor. From what I read it did say liver disease can be a cause of it among other things.

I just feel for you so much, I wish I had something to say that could provide some comfort. I'm convinced that's why we need Jesus. He knows what to say and do always. The accounts of what Jesus and his desples said and did bring me much comfort

Reactions: Angeleyes7715
Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My disease feels just like TMAU except I don't get fish odor. I get all the other odors though rotten eggs, smoke, rotten meat, anything I've eaten or put on that day whatever is the most pungent smell. Seems like the strongest smelling things make me stink and if I eat bland foods all day I just smell like fecal or fart. I don't know what I did to deserve this disease. I didn't have this thing from birth. It hit me at age 20.

I don't mean to be flippant, but have you ever thought of moving to the country, where there is a higher tolerance for earthy smells? Get you some work outside instead of in a cubicle farm?

I mean it depends upon the pungency, to be sure, but most of the odors you describe would not be off-putting to me.

I had a girlfriend for three years that thought it a badge of honor that she could compete with men in the fart department (and oh lord, but she could)... I surely didn't want to cuddle much when she was on a tear, and me and the dog decided unanimously that separate bedrooms were in order... but otherwise, a great gal.

Another was a coroner's assistant - That 'dead' thing doesn't ever really rub all the way off, but I got used to it easy enough.

As to the rest of the odors, they're common enough in daily life that I'd figure the kitchen, the garden, or the barn was on you a bit...

Unless you smelled like gun powder, brown gravy, or french fries... Then I'd think you was trying to turn me on. ;)

Learn the ways of the redneck, darlin'... and then go where you can catch you one. You might just fit right in.

Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah that hepatic encephalopathy seems to be pretty horrible but thankfully, you seem to have all of your cognitive abilities from what I can tell. I would investigate this TMAU further or mention the condition to the doctor. From what I read it did say liver disease can be a cause of it among other things.

I just feel for you so much, I wish I had something to say that could provide some comfort. I'm convinced that's why we need Jesus. He knows what to say and do always. The accounts of what Jesus and his desples said and did bring me much comfort

Yeah, and I just pray God would finally tell me what's doing this to me. I don't want to live with this condition. MEBO the group that does all the research for TMAU goes on and on about finding ways to live with... how does one find ways to live with being shunned and excluded from everything for the rest of their life? No amount of counseling is going to fix that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Oh my goodness!! I watched a program on TV about a girl with this. I wish I could remember what the title was. It's about people who have had horrible times getting the right diagnosis. They did find a solution for her so don't despair, it's out there and I wish I could recollect what they had said! So sorry to have such a lousy memory! Maybe someone can recall the name of the show, then maybe you could write to them and ask about that episode. No primary doc is going to get this, have you gone to liver specialist---a hepatologist?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,775.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Tomorrow I have to get my hair trimmed and I fasted for half the day and tonight I ate a salad... but I added ham cause I really really wanted it :/. Sometimes I feel like staying away from foods doesn't help that that much. The only ones I know I can't touch for sure or I give off rotten egg scents french fries, peanut butter/ nut butters/ bread/ dough, and dairy.

I did a bit of research and found many of the foods you mentioned contained sulfur (causes rotten egg smell) or sugar or both.

These are list of foods high on sulfur:
Sulfur food list - high & low thiol foods « livingnetwork.co.za

Sugar in diet promotes bacterial growth in body (including harmful bacteria) which may cause those foul smells. Processed foods are especially high in sugar (because they use it as preservative) and regular sodas and take away coffees.

You may have to reduce sugar in diet -- only if that is safe for you to do and avoid processed foods. Avoid taking artificial sweeteners though and avoid diet sodas because artificial sweeteners can be toxic.

At least avoiding those foods might reduce or even eliminate the foul smells.

It hit me at age 20.

I was wondering if there's anything that happened to you at that time?

Did you happen to take antibiotics or any medication for some reason? Were you admitted to a hospital (which you are likely to receive a dose of antibiotics or other medicines)?

Because if that's what happened to you, there's a good chance the gut flora (bacteria colony) got affected in your stomach and intestines that would in turn may also affect your liver.

A probiotic treatment might work by restoring the balance of bacteria colony in you gut which aids greatly in digestion. But first, you need to find out if it's safe for you. A sign that you may need a probiotic treatment is that you are also having bowel or digestion problems (other than the smells).

Fasting helps, it really does but only if I do it for several days and I cave in and eat. I have changed my diet and it helps, but honestly my smell switches to whatever i eat. My plan was to displace the bad odor with lemon scent. So I started drinking lemon tea. It kind of worked as people at my job though someone was cleaning their desk cause the lemon smell started coming off me, but the lemon scent alternated with other smells from foods I had eaten a day before :(.

And today I smelled strong like onions. I took activated charcoal trying to cleanse and it just draws it out way more. The entire cubicle area stunk like onions... I had salsa yesterday :(.

Since fasting seemed effective. It could be the sugar. Oh and try to avoid onions. It's on the high sulfur list in the link.

• Winner
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

Angeleyes7715

Dec 13, 2015
US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I did a bit of research and found many of the foods you mentioned contained sulfur (causes rotten egg smell) or sugar or both.

These are list of foods high on sulfur:
Sulfur food list - high & low thiol foods « livingnetwork.co.za

Sugar in diet promotes bacterial growth in body (including harmful bacteria) which may cause those foul smells. Processed foods are especially high in sugar (because they use it as preservative) and regular sodas and take away coffees.

You may have to reduce sugar in diet -- only if that is safe for you to do and avoid processed foods. Avoid taking artificial sweeteners though and avoid diet sodas because artificial sweeteners can be toxic.

At least avoiding those foods might reduce or even eliminate the foul smells.

I was wondering if there's anything that happened to you at that time?

Did you happen to take antibiotics or any medication for some reason? Were you admitted to a hospital (which you are likely to receive a dose of antibiotics or other medicines)?

Because if that's what happened to you, there's a good chance the gut flora (bacteria colony) got affected in your stomach and intestines that would in turn may also affect your liver.

A probiotic treatment might work by restoring the balance of bacteria colony in you gut which aids greatly in digestion. But first, you need to find out if it's safe for you. A sign that you may need a probiotic treatment is that you are also having bowel or digestion problems (other than the smells).

Since fasting seemed effective. It could be the sugar. Oh and try to avoid onions. It's on the high sulfur list in the link.

Ive taken lots of probiotics, eat fermented food everyday, try keto which is no sugar or grains, I juice, I sauna, I take supplements for my deficiencies (identified by blood tests).

And yes, I was on a research trip in cal Berk. When I was that age that's when it was first noticeable. My diet was terrible there, the food was awful, I got sick. Prior to that I had been on 15 antibiotics in one year for skin/ sinuses never with probiotics at that time. Diet was awful fast food etc. I ate ice cream during the trip everyday and 3 jars of peanut butter by myself (no not overweight at all lol) I had bad sugar cravings would wake up my skin smelled like smoke.. one day on the trip all the sudden explosive rotten egg smells just started coming off me.... and here I am now.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟296,775.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
And yes, I was on a research trip in cal Berk. When I was that age that's when it was first noticeable. My diet was terrible there, the food was awful, I got sick. Prior to that I had been on 15 antibiotics in one year for skin/ sinuses never with probiotics at that time. Diet was awful fast food etc. I ate ice cream during the trip everyday and 3 jars of peanut butter by myself (no not overweight at all lol) I had bad sugar cravings would wake up my skin smelled like smoke.. one day on the trip all the sudden explosive rotten egg smells just started coming off me.... and here I am now.

That's scary! Your metabolism and those diet I mean. I also have terrible diet for two years living in a barracks as part of the job and it affected my digestion significantly. I've been taking two trips to the bathroom everyday since then and for several months now even after resuming my normal diet.

Anyway, I'm no expert (so take my analysis with scrutiny) but all roads seem to be leading there.

What I found in my research is that gut flora could become imbalanced by change in diet, worse with a bad diet, or bad foods and use of antibiotics.

Prior to that, you took 15 antibiotics in one year, yikes! Two bad things could happen with antibiotics, one, they could wipe out your gut flora if you did it without probiotics, two, regular use of antibiotics could render some of you gut bacteria immune from antibiotics. That would be very very bad, if the harmful bacteria is the one that went immune!

And then you had bad sugar cravings when it happened. As I've said previously a high sugar diet would encourage bacterial growth in the gut. If the antibiotics-immune bacteria was already there, add high sugar diet and they explode in population and probably caused your problems.

There's a probable solution like antibiotics + probiotics treatment to perhaps, "reset" your gut. But I strongly would advice against it as it's only my theory. You need to consult an expert on the matter.

Because if I'm right that some of the harmful bacteria in you gut is already antibiotics-immune, an antibiotics treatment would either do nothing or only make the situation worse like giving you more species of antibiotics immune bacteria in your gut.

The concept of fasting in this case is to kill those harmful, antibiotics-immune bacteria by starving them and then perhaps follow up with probiotics.. The problem is that, it may starve you as well. It entails difficult choices and great risks.

Of course it could still be all entirely unrelated to everything I have said here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0