Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I always dreamed about having kids and being a mother. To me, being a mom seems like a really rewarding thing in life. Some women don't want kids and prefer to focus on their careers instead. But not me.

I've been married for 6 years now, and during this whole time my husband didn't want to have children. He has anxiety and stress problems, and he feels like it isn't the right time to have a family. But I'm in my early 30s, and having kids at my age is difficult. And it gets even more difficult the more I age. By 40 having a child naturally would be nearly impossible.

I became very impatient with my husband. I kept telling him I wanted a family, but he continually said we should wait longer. I was so tired of being put off that I decided to do something that, although it seemed right at first, has been bothering my conscience.

I clandestinely went to a reproductive clinic and told them I wanted to have children via IVF. I selected a sperm donor who is 6'3" and has blonde hair and blue eyes. I went through the treatments without my husband's knowledge or consent, and now I'm several months pregnant with twins.

My husband believes the unborn twin babies are his. Although he didn't really want a family, he seems mildly happy about my pregnancy. I'm definitely excited about becoming a mom, but part of me is worried that, after the kids are born, my husband will eventually find out they're not his babies, since they probably won't look like him. What if he divorces me? The prospect of that happening is frightening.

Part of me wants to keep it a secret. After all, I didn't commit actual adultery on my husband. I've been faithful to him during our entire marriage. If our children don't share his DNA, is there really any harm? Your parents are always the ones who raise you irrespective of genetic lineage. Again, I've been faithful to him during our entire marriage, so did I really do anything wrong? I think not.

Well I'm really torn over what I should do. Should I come clean and tell him that the twins aren't actually his? Or should I let this little white lie be kept a secret for the good of the family and for the good of my marriage?

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everything done in the dark will come to the light. It would be better if you were to turn the light on yourself, before waiting for the timer, the light is on, to run out on it's own...at an unknown time in the future.

It is not just about the husband....the children will need to know for medical reasons. If the birth father is still alive...they may want to connect etc...

Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
so did I really do anything wrong? I think not.

Is this a troll thread ?

He will basically be raising children from another man without his consent.

You definitely did something wrong and he deserves to know the truth.

If he divorces you he shouldn't have to pay alimony or child support since he didn't even know what you did and the children are not even really his.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I always dreamed about having kids and being a mother. To me, being a mom seems like a really rewarding thing in life. Some women don't want kids and prefer to focus on their careers instead. But not me.

I've been married for 6 years now, and during this whole time my husband didn't want to have children. He has anxiety and stress problems, and he feels like it isn't the right time to have a family. But I'm in my early 30s, and having kids at my age is difficult. And it gets even more difficult the more I age. By 40 having a child naturally would be nearly impossible.

I became very impatient with my husband. I kept telling him I wanted a family, but he continually said we should wait longer. I was so tired of being put off that I decided to do something that, although it seemed right at first, has been bothering my conscience.

I clandestinely went to a reproductive clinic and told them I wanted to have children via IVF. I selected a sperm donor who is 6'3" and has blonde hair and blue eyes. I went through the treatments without my husband's knowledge or consent, and now I'm several months pregnant with twins.

My husband believes the unborn twin babies are his. Although he didn't really want a family, he seems mildly happy about my pregnancy. I'm definitely excited about becoming a mom, but part of me is worried that, after the kids are born, my husband will eventually find out they're not his babies, since they probably won't look like him. What if he divorces me? The prospect of that happening is frightening.

Part of me wants to keep it a secret. After all, I didn't commit actual adultery on my husband. I've been faithful to him during our entire marriage. If our children don't share his DNA, is there really any harm? Your parents are always the ones who raise you irrespective of genetic lineage. Again, I've been faithful to him during our entire marriage, so did I really do anything wrong? I think not.

Well I'm really torn over what I should do. Should I come clean and tell him that the twins aren't actually his? Or should I let this little white lie be kept a secret for the good of the family and for the good of my marriage?
So how did you dump all that money on IVF without your husband noticing? It’s thousands of dollars plus preparing with shots. Seems a bit odd.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I truly hope this is not real. Yes, you should come clean. And you should also educate yourself, it is not “nearly impossible “ to have children over 40, nor is it usually “difficult” in your 30’s.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

If I were you I would do some damage control. You have setup a situation where some men might divorce you. Luckily enough women 85% of the time are the ones to file for that, but with your husbands insecurity etc. he is likely to be furious, and worse if things come out and you say nothing to him.

The rest of your situation is a mix between understandable and something less than sympathetic. Essentially wanting kids is normal and understandable, but if your husband is the sole or main bread winner of the family, what you did was not cool to put it mildly (e.g. like taking him for granted) ; because , we don't always get what we want in life. And there comes other issues like what if he ends up being a bad father etc. besides all the deception and manipulation end of things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Contrite Spirit

Kathy P
Sep 15, 2020
Pooler
✟10,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
This cannot be real. You appear to have just joined a Christian thread, yet you don't even mention if you or your husband is a person of faith.

If you have any sort of ethics or moral code, you would realize that what you did (if you actually did it) was betrayal on a staggering level.

He has every right to divorce you and never look back--if this isn't some made-up horror story.

ETA: If you aren't asking this in good faith, SHAME ON YOU. Well, shame on you anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You are mothering children of another man. This is adultery. Come clean to your husband.

Also, I don't see why you couldn't get him to father the children, usually when the wife wants children and the husband doesn't she stops contraceptives (which she shouldn't be on to begin with) and pushes for intimacy at the right times of her cycle. But he's not a man if he isn't for having children to begin with.

Reactions: Biltong65
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m sorry but this is so unfeasible I do not see how anyone could believe this. This is not something a married woman could just sneak around and do for a myriad of reasons.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
IIRC and IANAL , the law would consider them to be his anyway because you’re married . I wouldn’t tell him . It’s only going to potentially become a serious problem if the child has a genetic disease that neither of you share.
To be honest, why would you do that to your marriage and your spouse? You screwed up . Don’t make it a worse problem

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Credit cards can do wonders. So, in case what you say is true >

First, he's your husband. If you do what I say, then in a way he will be relating with me instead of with you :)

So . . . have you been blessed to trust in Jesus for salvation? Then with Christ you can be creative. And how about your husband?

Twins. Yeah, I guess you can get multiple children from an artificial approach.

It seems the main features you have mentioned about the donor are his outward characteristics. In case this means you evaluate men mainly by what they look like, I would say you need to deal with this tendency. We need to go deeper if we are going to learn with Jesus how to love.

And in case you do not trust your husband . . . whom you chose to marry and with whom you now have lived for six years, if I remember correctly . . . my opinion is a person needs to marry someone whom he or she trusts. But it appears some number of people have actually married ones they did not trust. I am not sure what is the best practical way to deal with this.

Do you trust Jesus? Jesus can correct you however you really need, for your own good, plus then He is able to guide you and deal with your husband. And if you really do have two babies in the way . . . give them to Him and enjoy how He takes care of things.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I’m sorry but this is so unfeasible I do not see how anyone could believe this. This is not something a married woman could just sneak around and do for a myriad of reasons.

lol it is a humdinger of a 1st post thread, the person did not bother to even a post a hello thread....

But they did do some work, on the account. They have a cute avatar picture and name, denominational preference, political affiliation and a slogan title to boot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
lol it is a humdinger of a 1st post thread, the person did not bother to even a post a hello thread.

But they did do some work, on the account. They have an avatar picture, denominational preference and a slogan title to boot.
That happens a lot. :|

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

You did wrong and will likely be found out eventually. So figure out how to be honest about it. Don't be surprised if what you did will not go over well.

Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.