Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
She was filled with the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit would understand and know very well, already. The Comforter was just waiting for the phone call. (grin) I'm serious. The Holy Spirit was present with them.
Yes. And what is the conduit of the Holy Spirit in this account?

Upvote 0

1an

Dec 4, 2011
✟48,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
You are claiming that we don't need a savior until our first sin. Kinda the opposite of infant mortality. OTOH What a good thing it would be to kill your child before they need a savior..
Some pagans I believe practised child sacrifice in the Valley of Himmon, (spelling?) but whatever, they will be languishing in hell. Why would a baby who has not sinned, need to be saved from sin? We are not punished for the sins of Adam, but for our own sins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Her love for God, her humility, her righteousness , all the things a Christian should be. Or have you a special answer.
I'm sure it's those virtues too but it's stated in the account. Elizabeth said " and blesses is she who believed." When the sound of Mary's voice reached Elizabeth's ear the child in her womb leapt. Then she made a profound statement of faith in Jesus. Faith in Jesus through hearing happened for the first time. The baby in the womb received it as well I would say. Baptized in the womb.

Upvote 0

1an

Dec 4, 2011
✟48,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I'm sure it's those virtues too but it's stated in the account. Elizabeth said " and blesses is she who believed." When the sound of Mary's voice reached Elizabeth's ear the child in her womb leapt. Then she made a profound statement of faith in Jesus. Faith in Jesus through hearing happened for the first time. The baby in the womb received it as well I would say. Baptized in the womb.
John the Baptist, baptized in the womb. That is a nice thought and seeing as John the Baptist was truly blessed and mightily used of God it has the hallmark of God's stamp right there.

I am sure also that every righteous person who loves God, believes. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christians should also receive the baptism of the Spirit, but baptism of repentance is nevertheless still part of Christian baptism.

Yes, we need baptism --i.e. the meaning: 'overwhelming', and it is both of the Spirit of God through the Lord Jesus (John 14), and THEN Baptism in the water as given in Scripture as a showing forth as a testimony. One needs to get it true by Bible-only and not religious ideas. One just telling me he/she is baptized does not show me evidence of the new birth and sealing of the Holy Spirit. Let us all keep looking up!

Upvote 0

1an

Dec 4, 2011
✟48,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Yes, we need baptism --i.e. the meaning: 'overwhelming', and it is both of the Spirit of God through the Lord Jesus (John 14), and THEN Baptism in the water as given in Scripture as a showing forth as a testimony. One needs to get it true by Bible-only and not religious ideas. One just telling me he/she is baptized does not show me evidence of the new birth and sealing of the Holy Spirit. Let us all keep looking up!
Amen.

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was baptised as a baby but only recently because a Christian at 20 ?

should I be baptised again?

Yes, its biblical. Believers baptism. Infant baptism is never mentioned in the bible. Please read up on early Anabaptists, Felix Manz, etc. Read the book of Acts, people who were baptised by John (repentance) had to be baptised again by the holy Spirt (Christ's baptism)

SE Samonte - YouTube

Upvote 0

Quintus

Jan 26, 2021
Staffordshire
✟8,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Matthew 20 v22 and Luke 12 v50 show Jesus speaking of his death and resurrection as his baptism. This baptism is so far above anything we can do because it truly is the one baptism which not only saves believers but also binds them together. This one baptism is the death and resurrection of the Son of God, our Saviour, and it earns salvation for us. It is unfortunate that many organised churches are so keen on their baptismal traditions that what Jesus said about his baptism can get overlooked.

Jesus has already done the heavy lifting, we are saved by grace through faith, not by what we do, (Ephesians 2 vv8,9). However, Romans 10, vv9-11 indicates that our faith is not to be kept secret. So if one feels called by the Spirit to make a stand for Jesus by baptism then that’s the thing to do. Of course, it should be done with humility and clarity so that those believers who cherish their own different baptisms do not have their faith shaken, but are uplifted.

• Agree
Reactions: 1an
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

No unless you want to disrespect Christ. One is Baptized into Christ.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, its biblical. Believers baptism. Infant baptism is never mentioned in the bible. Please read up on early Anabaptists, Felix Manz, etc. Read the book of Acts, people who were baptised by John (repentance) had to be baptised again by the holy Spirt (Christ's baptism)

SE Samonte - YouTube

Acts 16:33

New International Version
At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his household were baptized.

It is likely he had children in his family or his servants had children.

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Acts 16:33

New International Version
At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his household were baptized.

It is likely he had children in his family or his servants had children.

We go into the realms of speculation/man-made and church tradition on one verse of the bible. We don't know if the children were of an age of understanding that if they repent and believe with all their heart Christ died for their sins they will be saved, then they could be baptized.

I'm not going to judge what other parents/churches do, Christ will be our ultimate judge when he returns. The bible is silent on infant baptism. One child could grow up in the ways of the Lord and follow the narrow path to Heaven, another could go astray into the world and follow the broad path. If the latter child is convicted of their sins through the Holy Spirit and repents and believes and the Holy spirit convicts them they must be baptized please never try to stop that person from not getting baptized...we could sin against the Holy Spirt and stop our Heavenly Father chastening that person to mould them more Christ-like.

God Bless.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
We go into the realms of speculation/man-made and church tradition on one verse of the bible. We don't know if the children were of an age of understanding that if they repent and believe with all their heart Christ died for their sins they will be saved, then they could be baptized.

Would be a non-sequitur if there is no reason to withhold Baptism from infants and young children; and if salvation isn't about our ability to understand the Gospel; but instead is about the Gospel itself.

We are saved by grace through faith, not grace through the intellect.

And faith comes by the word of God (Romans 10:17), as a pure gift of grace (Ephesians 2:8).

So when and where God's word is living and active, there is faith.

And seeing as God's word is living and active in connection with water in Baptism (Ephesians 5:26), we must confess that the one who is baptized has faith. Because God's word says so.

You might ask then, what of the one who is baptized and does not believe? For this, see the Parable of the Sower. Our Lord Himself teaches that when the word is sown, sometimes after taking root it is choked out by thorns and thistles. So it is with those who make shipwreck of their faith. A person can walk away from Christ, walk away from God's promise and word which is theirs in Baptism--but our faithlessness is not God's faithlessness. After all it is written, He is Faithful even when we are faithless. God's word is indelible and true, it cannot be revoked (Isaiah 55:11). If we become apostate, it is not the failure of God's promises, but rather our own sinful rebellion against our Lord.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
After all it is written, He is Faithful even when we are faithless. God's word is indelible and true, it cannot be revoked (Isaiah 55:11). If we become apostate, it is not the failure of God's promises, but rather our own sinful rebellion against our Lord.

-CryptoLutheran

2 Timothy 2:13

Thankyou so much for that verse of scripture. It reminds me on the amount of times the Lord helped me escaped death and life situations living in sin.

God bless.

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I'm not going to judge what other parents/churches do, Christ will be our ultimate judge when he returns. The bible is silent on infant baptism. One child could grow up in the ways of the Lord and follow the narrow path to Heaven, another could go astray into the world and follow the broad path. If the latter child is convicted of their sins through the Holy Spirit and repents and believes and the Holy spirit convicts them they must be baptized please never try to stop that person from not getting baptized...we could sin against the Holy Spirt and stop our Heavenly Father chastening that person to mould them more Christ-like.

God Bless.

In short, you do not have an answer for the proof text.

Early Church Father Quotes:
“He [Jesus] came to save all through himself; all, I say, who through him are reborn in God: infants, and children, and youths, and old men. Therefore he passed through every age, becoming an infant for infants, sanctifying infants; a child for children, sanctifying those who are of that age … [so that] he might be the perfect teacher in all things, perfect not only in respect to the setting forth of truth, perfect also in respect to relative age”

St. Irenaeus (Against Heresies 2:22:4 [A.D. 189])

“‘And [Naaman] dipped himself … seven times in the Jordan’ [2 Kgs. 5:14]. It was not for nothing that Naaman of old, when suffering from leprosy, was purified upon his being baptized, but [this served] as an indication to us. For as we are lepers in sin, we are made clean, by means of the sacred water and the invocation of the Lord, from our old transgressions, being spiritually regenerated as newborn babes, even as the Lord has declared: ‘Except a man be born again through water and the Spirit, he shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven’ [John 3:5]”

St. Irenaeus (Fragment34 [A.D. 190])

“Baptize first the children; and if they can speak for themselves, let them do so. Otherwise, let their parents or other relatives speak for them.”

St. Hippolytus of Rome (“The Apostolic Tradition,” 215 A.D.)

1 Corinthians 1:16 ESV / 7 helpful votes
(I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.)

What verses do you use for dedication of children to the Lord?

Where infants circumcised when Abraham became a believer in God?

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Would be a non-sequitur if there is no reason to withhold Baptism from infants and young children; and if salvation isn't about our ability to understand the Gospel; but instead is about the Gospel itself.

We are saved by grace through faith, not grace through the intellect.

And faith comes by the word of God (Romans 10:17), as a pure gift of grace (Ephesians 2:8).

So when and where God's word is living and active, there is faith.

And seeing as God's word is living and active in connection with water in Baptism (Ephesians 5:26), we must confess that the one who is baptized has faith. Because God's word says so.

You might ask then, what of the one who is baptized and does not believe? For this, see the Parable of the Sower. Our Lord Himself teaches that when the word is sown, sometimes after taking root it is choked out by thorns and thistles. So it is with those who make shipwreck of their faith. A person can walk away from Christ, walk away from God's promise and word which is theirs in Baptism--but our faithlessness is not God's faithlessness. After all it is written, He is Faithful even when we are faithless. God's word is indelible and true, it cannot be revoked (Isaiah 55:11). If we become apostate, it is not the failure of God's promises, but rather our own sinful rebellion against our Lord.

-CryptoLutheran

Eph 2:10

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1244 First Holy Communion. Having become a child of God clothed with the wedding garment, the neophyte is admitted "to the marriage supper of the Lamb"44 and receives the food of the new life, the body and blood of Christ. The Eastern Churches maintain a lively awareness of the unity of Christian initiation by giving Holy Communion to all the newly baptized and confirmed, even little children, recalling the Lord's words: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them."45 The Latin Church, which reserves admission to Holy Communion to those who have attained the age of reason, expresses the orientation of Baptism to the Eucharist by having the newly baptized child brought to the altar for the praying of the Our Father.

1245 The solemn blessing concludes the celebration of Baptism. At the Baptism of newborns the blessing of the mother occupies a special place.

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In short, you do not have an answer for the proof text.

Early Church Father Quotes:
“He [Jesus] came to save all through himself; all, I say, who through him are reborn in God: infants, and children, and youths, and old men. Therefore he passed through every age, becoming an infant for infants, sanctifying infants; a child for children, sanctifying those who are of that age … [so that] he might be the perfect teacher in all things, perfect not only in respect to the setting forth of truth, perfect also in respect to relative age”

St. Irenaeus (Against Heresies 2:22:4 [A.D. 189])

“‘And [Naaman] dipped himself … seven times in the Jordan’ [2 Kgs. 5:14]. It was not for nothing that Naaman of old, when suffering from leprosy, was purified upon his being baptized, but [this served] as an indication to us. For as we are lepers in sin, we are made clean, by means of the sacred water and the invocation of the Lord, from our old transgressions, being spiritually regenerated as newborn babes, even as the Lord has declared: ‘Except a man be born again through water and the Spirit, he shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven’ [John 3:5]”

St. Irenaeus (Fragment34 [A.D. 190])

“Baptize first the children; and if they can speak for themselves, let them do so. Otherwise, let their parents or other relatives speak for them.”

St. Hippolytus of Rome (“The Apostolic Tradition,” 215 A.D.)

1 Corinthians 1:16 ESV / 7 helpful votes
(I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.)

What verses do you use for dedication of children to the Lord?

Where infants circumcised when Abraham became a believer in God?

We'll start with this verse
Hebrews 7:12

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Yes. Absolutely. Read Romans 6:1-6. Did your infant baptism at all reflect what is written there? Obviously not. When Phillip baptized the Ethiopian eunuch, did he just find a bit of water and sprinkle the eunuch with it? No.

Acts 8:36-39
36 As they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch said, "Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?"
37 [And Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."]
38 And he ordered the chariot to stop; and they both went down into the water, Philip as well as the eunuch, and he baptized him.
39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away; and the eunuch no longer saw him, but went on his way rejoicing.

Why did the two of them get into the water? Why didn't Phillip simply scoop up a handful of water and sprinkle it on the eunuch's head? If sprinkling is an appropriate form of baptism, why get into the water at all? They could both of them have avoided getting their feet, legs and the hem of their garments wet if they'd just stood at the water's edge to perform the "baptism." But, they didn't, getting right in to the water to baptize the eunuch instead, as they would do, not to sprinkle, but to immerse, as is the proper form of baptism.

Upvote 0