Should flag burners lose citizenship?

Do you agree with the president elect's tweet?

• Total voters

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
They aren't "saying" anything. That's the pt. Coupled with the fact that you don't have a clue as to what they are saying either then you can conclude burning the flag isn't a protest.
Then why complain about it? You're saying yourself that it is not protest. So what is your complaint about it?

• Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then why complain about it? You're saying yourself that it is not protest. So what is your complaint about it?

But burning the American flag is one form of a protest. I see it as a protest against 240 years of oppression, colonization and the encroachment of European settlers and their descendants here upon tribal land that was forcibly taken through broken treaties, forced removals and attempted annihilation of my ancestors. I see that flag representing all that was lost.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
They aren't "saying" anything. That's the pt. Coupled with the fact that you don't have a clue as to what they are saying either then you can conclude burning the flag isn't a protest.
So what's the problem?

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

What if I burn the flag because there was a spider on it? Do I lose my citizenship for that?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
So what's the problem?

The problem is that whatever they're doing, the government doesn't approve... and we live in a country where you're not allowed to do anything the government doesn't app-- oh, wait.

...yeah, what is the problem, Louis?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
But burning the American flag is one form of a protest. I see it as a protest against 240 years of oppression, colonization and the encroachment of European settlers and their descendants here upon tribal land that was forcibly taken through broken treaties, forced removals and attempted annihilation of my ancestors. I see that flag representing all that was lost.

"Lost"? You're too kind. All that was stolen.

Watch Standing Rock Tribes Cheer As Vets Apologize On Behalf Of U.S. Government

“Many of us, me particularly, are from the units that have hurt you over the many years. We came. We fought you. We took your land. We signed treaties that we broke. We stole minerals from your sacred hills. We blasted the faced of our presidents onto your sacred mountain. When we took still more land and then we took your children and then we tried to make your language and we tried to eliminate your language that God gave you, and the Creator gave you. We didn’t respect you, we polluted your Earth, we’ve hurt you in so many ways but we’ve come to say that we are sorry. We are at your service and we beg for your forgiveness.”

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Except that "protests" are covered by free speech
and you've already shown that it can't be protest because you have no clue what it says nor can it be conveyed.

And the act of removing a benefit
No, you're REMOVING a reward for a behavior. That's positive reinforcement. Government beneifts, as it's been clearly stated is a privilege, not a right.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So if you were a missionary to an Amazon tribe and they saw you taking communion would they know why you were doing that without an explanation
Yes, it's meaningless to them. I think you've proven my point here for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the observers. The tribal people you indicated.
Ok
So for them = you or I, to understand why someone is burning a flag we would have to listen to their explanation as to why they are doing so.

What was your point that I seem to have missed?

I also asked how their 'malicious' (your description not mine) act of flag burning harms you? Who is it malicious against if not you?

• Agree
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
and you've already shown that it can't be protest because you have no clue what it says nor can it be conveyed.

If that's the case, what's the problem?

No, you're REMOVING a reward for a behavior. That's positive reinforcement.

You consider welfare to be a reward for a behavior? what behavior are you rewarding?

. Government beneifts, as it's been clearly stated is a privilege, not a right.

And revoking those privileges in order to punish or discourage a behavior (in this case, burning a flag) is a textbook example of negative reinforcement.

I spelled it out and gave you a link, and you got it wrong again. That takes talent.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Should every protester run their protests by you before hand to see if they qualify as a valid form of protest?

Whether the point of a protest is understood by anyone or not doesn't change the right to do it.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Lost"? You're too kind. All that was stolen.

Yes, I was being kind. But there is a deep sense of loss for what was stolen. I am reminded of that when I see the American flag. But it is not just about the land that was forcibly taken through broken treaties, forced removals and the attempted annihilation, but it is also about the loss of true freedom and liberties my ancestors once had before the encroachment of the European settlers and their descendants. I would like to share this video because I think it is relevant to our discussion.

Watch Standing Rock Tribes Cheer As Vets Apologize On Behalf Of U.S. Government
“Many of us, me particularly, are from the units that have hurt you over the many years. We came. We fought you. We took your land. We signed treaties that we broke. We stole minerals from your sacred hills. We blasted the faces of our presidents onto your sacred mountain. When we took still more land and then we took your children and then we tried to make your language and we tried to eliminate your language that God gave you, and the Creator gave you. We didn’t respect you, we polluted your Earth, we’ve hurt you in so many ways but we’ve come to say that we are sorry. We are at your service and we beg for your forgiveness.”

I cannot watch this video without crying.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I would just like to point out that, of the participants on this thread, one of the two most vocal proponents of an anti-flag burning law claimed that the right to protest is not guaranteed by the Constitution, and the other one considers welfare to be a reward given for good behavior.

Multiply this by a couple of million, and it's suddenly no surprise to anyone how we ended up with Donald Trump at the helm.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I would just like to point out that, of the participants on this thread, one of the two most vocal proponents of an anti-flag burning law claimed that the right to protest is not guaranteed by the Constitution, and the other one considers welfare to be a reward given for good behavior.

Multiply this by a couple of million, and it's suddenly no surprise to anyone how we ended up with Donald Trump at the helm.

There are actually only 42 states. One is just a big block of cheese, and the other 7 are holograms!

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,513.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Did you use your right of free speech to voice your views on how you felt the government was operating?

Sure, in casual conversation or on this forum. Stuff like that.
Right... because, as you said in the other thread which you brought up, I have no Constitutional right to protest... correct?

Correct.
So accepting defeat and slinking off is the only government-approved response, amirite?

Response to what, an election?
Nobody except the Founding Fathers:

Sure sounds like a textbook definition of "protest" to me.
[staff edited]
You said it wasn't okay to disrespect the flag... is it legal to disrespect people?
I don't think I actually said that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0