Should Dog owners who's Dog kills person receive the death penalty?

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Starting with the scripture:

Exodus 21
28 If an ox gore a man or a woman, that they die: then the ox shall be surely stoned, and his flesh shall not be eaten; but the owner of the ox shall be quit.
29 But if the ox were wont to push with his horn in time past, and it hath been testified to his owner, and he hath not kept him in, but that he hath killed a man or a woman; the ox shall be stoned, and his owner also shall be put to death.

When I was a child a girl on the same street as myself was out playing in front of her garden and was literally ripped to pieces by rottweilers kept by a drug addict neighbour.

I agree with you that the passage you shared would provide strong support for the view you are suggesting. Anyone who keeps known dangerous dogs, allows them to run wild and they kill a child should be punished most severely.

But perhaps a primary approach might be to prevent people, especially people like the addict I mentioned above from keeping dangerous animals in the first place. If someone is an animal lover then there are spaniels or terriers, on the other hand what sane person would keep rottweilers, alsatians and the like anyway? God Bless :)

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Exodus 21
28 If an ox gore a man or a woman, that they die: then the ox shall be surely stoned, and his flesh shall not be eaten; but the owner of the ox shall be quit.
29 But if the ox were wont to push with his horn in time past, and it hath been testified to his owner, and he hath not kept him in, but that he hath killed a man or a woman; the ox shall be stoned, and his owner also shall be put to death.

So the scripture is talking about Ox because livestock was the main animals kept by the general population at the time of Moses.

We clearly see if an Ox is known to be dangerous and then goes on to kill a person the owner is put to death for negligence and ultimately responsible for the life of another human ended.

As Jews in Moses' day found dogs unclean animals and would never have them as pets it's hard to tell what punishment would come of a dog owner who's Dog went on to kill someone as it was simply not allowed or desirable to own a dog.

I think so many dog attacks are happening because the heathen justice system is handling the outcome of dog attacks and not Gods will for this matter. I think if a dog goes on to kill someone the owner should be put to death for loss of innocent life,they are the dog owner after all. Just like if a dangerous Ox kills someone.

Dogs historically are just ''domesticated'' wolves,wild animals. You can't ever fully tame wild animals so it's not a reasonable defence to assume dogs are ever fully safe around the population so you have on your hands a potential dangerous animal before any human influence. We do know these dogs are dangerous because it keeps happening over and over again so I think pet ownership should not be banned but if your pet kills an innocent person-that's your death warrant. People seriously need to take responsibility for these dogs.

I know people are very emotional about their pets but for me human safety and Gods word comes first.
You do know we aren't under the law, correct?
Grace would say forgive the dog owner, not kill him.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Punished, yes. Killing for something an animal did isn't part of our legal system.

Exodus 21:29 seems to be pointing to culpability on the part of the owner, the animal was known to be a risk to life and the owner did nothing. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Online.Gamer.79

Aug 13, 2020
Laconia NH
✟10,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Exodus 21

So the scripture is talking about Ox because livestock was the main animals kept by the general population at the time of Moses.

We clearly see if an Ox is known to be dangerous and then goes on to kill a person the owner is put to death for negligence and ultimately responsible for the life of another human ended.

As Jews in Moses' day found dogs unclean animals and would never have them as pets it's hard to tell what punishment would come of a dog owner who's Dog went on to kill someone as it was simply not allowed or desirable to own a dog.

I think so many dog attacks are happening because the heathen justice system is handling the outcome of dog attacks and not Gods will for this matter. I think if a dog goes on to kill someone the owner should be put to death for loss of innocent life,they are the dog owner after all. Just like if a dangerous Ox kills someone.

Dogs historically are just ''domesticated'' wolves,wild animals. You can't ever fully tame wild animals so it's not a reasonable defence to assume dogs are ever fully safe around the population so you have on your hands a potential dangerous animal before any human influence. We do know these dogs are dangerous because it keeps happening over and over again so I think pet ownership should not be banned but if your pet kills an innocent person-that's your death warrant. People seriously need to take responsibility for these dogs.

I know people are very emotional about their pets but for me human safety and Gods word comes first.

I believe if someone has a dangerous animal and it kills someone they should pay whatever fine the law of the land says.
Romans 13:1
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.

As for the death penalty as punishment I am against it. For the very simple reason we incarcerate innocent people. Since the introduction of DNA evidence hundreds of people who were serving 20 to life and were on death row have been exonerated. And I have found over dozen cases over the years of people who were sent to death and later found out to be innocent. The simple truth is if you send an innocent man to prison he can be released if his innocence proven. If someone is sentenced to death and found out to be innocent we can not bring them back. Unless guilt be proved 100% death should not be on the table. And alot of people are prison on circumstantial evidence.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unless someone has purposefully (with premeditation) trained Scruffles to kill their neighbor then I don't see how your premise would ever fly in any American court.

If Scuffles is a dangerous dog put him on a 7 day fast then let the reckless owner play 'fetch' with him. Might encourage owners to be more responsible. :angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums