Should Darwin Now Be Banned?

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟215,955.00
Faith
Non-Denom
So I'm just curious. I see John Wayne's legacy is being smeared for having said some not so flattering things about blacks. So what about Charles Darwin? What was the FULL title of the book, "Origin of Species"??

Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life

Now look I know how that title is defended as it not really having to mean about race but how about Darwin's other writing, "The Descent of Man"? If that doesn't provide a major shock to sensitivities then I don't know what would.

(See the quoting of Darwin from The Descent of Man, in the video below, between 2:20--4:13)

So question....why is Darwin getting a free pass?

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So I'm just curious. I see John Wayne's legacy is being smeared for having said some not so flattering things about blacks. So what about Charles Darwin? What was the FULL title of the book, "Origin of Species"??

Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life

Now look I know how that title is defended as it not really having to mean about race but how about Darwin's other writing, "The Descent of Man"? If that doesn't provide a major shock to sensitivities then I don't know what would.

(See the quoting of Darwin from The Descent of Man, in the video below, between 2:20--4:13)

So question....why is Darwin getting a free pass?

Because most are ignorant about these things and others about Darwin.

same goes with Margaret Sanger (founder of planned parenthood)

Margaret Sanger, Founder of Planned Parenthood, In Her Own Words

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think that with many people involved in these statue incidents we need to have a balanced understanding of their actions in the perspective of their historical setting. Certainly in the mid 19th century Charles Darwin was racist but actually less so than the average Englishman or American of the time and he was never vicious about it. Perhaps some educational signage at these monuments would clear things up without the need for vandalism.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, but Darwin was a plagiarist. Most of his "Origin of the Species" (1849) reiterated what a French Botanist had catalogued in an Encyclopedia 200 yrs earlier. Who knew that before I had shared that earlier here on CF? Yes, plagiarism. Much like poor Steven Foster who had the majority of his compositions stolen from him.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
IIRC the "Origin" was published in 1859. Is it proven that Darwin was aware of this Encyclopedia? How different were Darwin's ideas from those in the Encyclopedia? It is well to remember that scientists build on the work of those who have gone before --- they "stand on the shoulders of giants".

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟215,955.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think that with many people involved in these statue incidents we need to have a balanced understanding of their actions in the perspective of their historical setting. Certainly in the mid 19th century Charles Darwin was racist but actually less so than the average Englishman or American of the time and he was never vicious about it. Perhaps some educational signage at these monuments would clear things up without the need for vandalism.

Are you sure about that? Did you not see the small clip I pointed out? Found in my Post 1.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe the feminist should get involved, every ,' Great ' man in the past was anti feminist, they would not permit there wives, daughters etc to have a full education, career and controlled who they married.

They are ignorant of history, of historical values and more importantly ignorant of were there values, about equality etc come from.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
At this rate everything will be banned and we we will have nothing to do, wear, eat or drink!!!:scratch:
Given its racist background, I think its time that the Democrat Party was banned!:scratch:
But then what do I know looking through my telescope from across the pond.

• Haha
Reactions: Rugged Cross
Upvote 0