Visit site
✟1,502,888.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Your thread title says "offered" but the poll says "given." They're slightly different things.

I would always make it clear that communion is for the community of faith. If I became aware that someone who had been receiving communion really shouldn't have been, I'd seek to address that. But I'm also not going to interrogate someone at the communion rail to make sure their faith is adequate.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 11:26 - 32,
For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. 27Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 29For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 30For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. 31For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. 32But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

I voted "no". Our church does communion on first Sunday of every month. It is well explained why we do this, although I'm sure there are some visitors that occasionally don't understand and partake.

Upvote 0

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know some churches only let their own members take communion with them. I'm for an open communion table though. If an atheist or a seeker would come and want communion in our church then it's not away from us if we offer it to them as well. It doesn't make our communion any less worthy. Of course, some people will only take it for their own peril... But that's everyone's own choise. Any eager churchgoer could turn out to not believe in their hearts, and a genuine seeker could have a surprisingly burning heart for God. And both have labels on them that wouldn't match the reality. That's why I'd rather give communion for anyone who wants it, then leave anyone out. Of course, if I were a minister, I would like to know my parishioners, but the communion table is not where you ask anything. You serve and hand out the body and blood of Christ.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Apart from the theological issues, the idea of communion is for the body to be united in a common belief. By partaking, the members are implicitly saying that they agree with and accept each other. By definition that cannot be extended to outsiders.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟933,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Receiving the Eucharist is a privilege in our Church. So no open communion.
No, I wouldn't interrogate someone, but if they looked like they didn't know what they were doing, I'd have no problem asking if they were Catholic (and I have). If they answer no, then a blessing might be appropriate.
But back to the OP, should Communion be offered as a matter of policy? No.

Last edited:
Upvote 0