Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Notice how bad God let it get before doing anything, I wonder if any people back then were having questions over the amount of suffering and sin God has allowed to happen, right, guess he must be evil then, right...?

Makes a lot of sense doesn't it...

God Bless!

God has allowed TV to happen -
He would never say, "Destroy every TV."
That would be a too severe a commandment to expect disciples to be obedient!
Disciples can just watch and not be enticed . . . hopefully.

For about 272 years men judged Israel.
For about 400 years kings ruled Israel and Judah.
Only David and Josiah destroyed the places to "watch."

Twelve sons of Jacob.
10 did what was wicked in the sight of their father.
Only one, Joseph, fled before temptation.
And poor Benjamin, his descendants lost 25000+ soldiers defending murderous, homosexual Benjaminites.

Surely, disciples can just watch and not be enticed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
God has allowed TV to happen -
He would never say, "Destroy every TV."
That would be a too server a commandment to expect disciples to be obedient!
Disciples can just watch and not be enticed . . . hopefully.

For about 272 years men judged Israel.
For about 400 years kings ruled Israel and Judah.
Only David and Josiah destroyed the places to "watch."

Twelve sons of Jacob.
10 did what was wicked in the sight of their father.
Only one, Joseph, fled before temptation.
And poor Benjamin, his descendants lost 25000+ soldiers defending murderous, homosexual Benjaminites.

Surely, disciples can just watch and not be enticed.
God want's us to be and use wisdom choosing our media, how we spend our time with it, that kind of thing, and not be plugged into it "all" the time, balance is important and there is a real world out there where we/you/me people like us are desperately needed...

Reactions: Mark Corbett
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm . . .
Destroy all the inhabitants of the land, the LORD said.
They didn’t.
They watched
. . and seeing the orgies
. . .and hearing the enticements
then they participated.
Married the Canaanites.
Did as the Canaanites did.
Burned their children to please Molech.
Then, the LORD expelled them from the Promised Land.
Israel could not follow the commandments of the LORD while watching the Canaanites and . . . think of the mighty acts of the LORD these people and their parents had witnessed.
Are we stronger than they?
Of course not . . . but what we do is not Canaanite worship . . . is it?
They were told to cut off their internet too......But they thought, hey, I can use it to witness and bring people to God...... There are many good things we can do with it, they said.....But God said to destroy it all. But they still watched.......and typed.....

Are we stronger than they? Lets throw out our computers and cut off the internet.

Upvote 0

Mark Corbett

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2017
Severn, NC
Visit site
✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They were told to cut off their internet too......But they thought, hey, I can use it to witness and bring people to God...... There are many good things we can do with it, they said.....But God said to destroy it all. But they still watched.......and typed.....

Are we stronger than they? Lets throw out our computers and cut off the internet.

When deciding what things to keep in our life and what things to get rid of, I think it is important to remember what Jesus said:

Matthew 5:29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.
30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

I think the point of this teaching is that if something is consistently causing us to stumble, to sin, then yes, we should remove it from our lives if we can. Should some people throw away their computers? If they look at inappropriate content on their computers, and they have tried less drastic methods to stop (like covenant eyes software), then for some people throwing away their computer might be a huge blessing. I've never felt like I should throw away my computer. But as I shared in the OP, I did literally throw away our TV, and for me it brought a lot of blessing. Grace and Peace, Mark

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When deciding what things to keep in our life and what things to get rid of, I think it is important to remember what Jesus said:

Matthew 5:29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.
30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

I think the point of this teaching is that if something is consistently causing us to stumble, to sin, then yes, we should remove it from our lives if we can. Should some people throw away their computers? If they look at inappropriate content on their computers, and they have tried less drastic methods to stop (like covenant eyes software), then for some people throwing away their computer might be a huge blessing. I've never felt like I should throw away my computer. But as I shared in the OP, I did literally throw away our TV, and for me it brought a lot of blessing. Grace and Peace, Mark
I agree. Some of the people responding feel that if their own eye offends them, they should, not only remove their own eyes, but also tell everyone else to remove their eyes as well. And if they dont...there seems to be the feeling that there is something wrong with the person who is not offended keeping their eyes. This is what I do not agree with.

Upvote 0

Mark Corbett

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2017
Severn, NC
Visit site
✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Should Christians watch TV?

Should implies this is related to their christianity, so the answer would relate if the exposure is part of their ministry.

Yes, I see what you're saying. But of course all of a Christian's life should be under the Lordship of Christ and the guidance of the Holy Spirit, including even our leisure time and "rest time". I often tell people, "rest in the Lord, but not from Him".

Reactions: Grace2022
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I see what you're saying. But of course all of a Christian's life should be under the Lordship of Christ and the guidance of the Holy Spirit, including even our leisure time and "rest time". I often tell people, "rest in the Lord, but not from Him".
Another element of entertainment is relaxing the flesh so it stops creating particular sensations, not everyone has matured to the place where they can subdue it effectively.

Upvote 0

Mark Corbett

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2017
Severn, NC
Visit site
✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another element of entertainment is relaxing the flesh so it stops creating particular sensations, not everyone has matured to the place where they can subdue it effectively.

In today's high stress, high paced world we DO need ways to relax. But much of the world's entertainment is not healthy for our souls. There are alternatives:
1. Reading
2. Listening to Christian music of any style
3. Exercise (does not have to be intense, could be just going for a walk)
4. Others

We all need to find ways to relax which do not negatively influence our minds.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
In today's high stress, high paced world we DO need ways to relax. But much of the world's entertainment is not healthy for our souls. There are alternatives:
1. Reading
2. Listening to Christian music of any style
3. Exercise (does not have to be intense, could be just going for a walk)
4. Others

We all need to find ways to relax which do not negatively influence our minds.
Sure do.

Someone goes on a walk and their face is in their iPhone the whole time, but no TV, per se ... ;) of course that's another discussion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Corbett

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2017
Severn, NC
Visit site
✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The issue with Tabooing TV, is that other devices are out there that are far more effective in being ubiquitous and are more popular. Many ministries use this as a means to reach out to people with having a twitter feed or other similar services.

Upvote 0

Mark Corbett

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2017
Severn, NC
Visit site
✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The issue with Tabooing TV, is that other devices are out there that are far more effective in being ubiquitous and are more popular. Many ministries use this as a means to reach out to people with having a twitter feed or other similar services.

I agree that the internet can be used for good ministry purposes. By God's grace, I attempt to do so myself. For example, I've started a fb group for people who want to read through the Bible in 2018. We read the same passages each day and people can ask questions and share insights. It's only 5 days into 2018, but God seems to be blessing the group so far.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Should%2BChristians%2Bwatch.jpg

Should Christians watch R rated moves or MA rated TV? How much TV should we watch? What should Christians look at on our computers, smart phones, and TVs?

My Testimony Regarding Watching TV

As a young married couple we owned a small TV set. This was a quarter century ago. Although the content on TV was nowhere near as graphic and explicit as it is now, as a young man I still found that the pervasive sexy images which filled television had a bad effect on my thought life. So I asked my wonderful wife if it would be ok with her if we threw our TV away. She graciously agreed to this. I was young and enthusiastic. I didn’t want our TV to cause anyone else to stumble. So I opened up the back, cut a key wire, and then threw our TV in the garbage can. We have not owned a television since that day.

Honestly, throwing away our TV was one of the better decisions I have made in life. It was around that same time that the Lord called us to go overseas to share the gospel among unreached people groups. We never regretted not having a TV. Our daughter, Joy, never “missed” not having TV. We did carefully choose and watch children’s videos with her on our computer. Not having TV was good for her and good for us.

TV eventually crept back into my life. It was probably about fifteen years after we threw away our TV set. We began to rent TV shows on something called VCDs (an old version of DVDs which were popular for a time in Indonesia). We never watched anything R rated. But we started to watch more often, and to be honest, the content was not spiritually healthy. Then we moved back to the US in 2010 and discovered that our internet now had enough bandwidth to watch TV shows on our computers. We chose what we watched and stayed away from MA content. I was probably watching 10 to 12 hours of TV content a week. I knew in my heart that watching TV was not helping me spiritually.

Several times I tried to “cut back”. But it didn’t stick. A few months ago, I decided to “go cold turkey”. I’m glad I did! Since then I have felt more spiritual energy, and have seen the Lord open some doors for new ministry opportunities. I pray that I will not backslide!

I am not committed to never watching any TV or movies in any setting. If I’m visiting with someone, I feel free to watch some TV with them if they have it on. Also, I still occasionally rent movies on DVD to watch with Hope. But honestly, I am thankful that God led me to stop watching TV again.

Do I Think All Christians Should Stop Watching All, or Almost All, TV?

No, not necessarily. I think that each believer should seek God’s will based on Biblical principles, an honest evaluation of how TV effects their thought life, and their home situation. While this is an area where different families may make different decisions, my feeling is that most Christians would experience significant spiritual blessing if they watched less TV.

Here are some reasons to consider watching less TV:

1. What you watch DOES influence how you think and what you feel and desire. Why do you think advertisers spend billions of dollar on advertising?

2. TV is full of bad examples. I liked police shows and actions shows and superhero shows. But one thing I noticed is that even the good guys were not good examples. Sure, they were brave and generally good at out-shooting and/or out-kickboxing the bad guys. But in their private lives they were not examples that I would want Joy to follow. They drank alcohol, often to the point of being drunk, to celebrate victories and to deal with frustrations. They slept around. In real life those actions bring painful consequences.

3. Then there is the sexual content. TV is full of immodestly dressed women (and men, too). Even in “PG” rated material, actresses are often shown to be naked, or partly naked, from behind. These actresses are paid to take off their clothes in these scenes, and indirectly we support this by watching the advertisements during these shows. It is an indirect form of prostitution. That may sound harsh, but it is true. And seeing this content causes many people to lust, which is a form of adultery (see Matthew 5:28). In addition, TV promotes many types of sexual immorality.

4. TV massively promotes materialism and greed, which is one of the major idols in American culture.

5. Most TV shows are godless. I don’t mean merely that the content is evil (although, sometimes, it is), I mean that they almost totally leave God out of everything. A serious Christian character is extremely rare. If Christians are shown at all, they are often put in a bad light.

6. TV’s graphic images tend to capture our imaginations and draw our thoughts away from God.

7. Even the news is problematic. Watching the news causes us to focus too much on politics and world events. We usually can do very little to change those things. TV distracts us from serving our neighbors and serving in our local churches and other ministries where our small efforts can actually make a big difference in people’s lives.

This list is not complete. I’m sure you could think of some more bad things about TV. Is there anything good about TV? Sure, a tiny bit here and there. But would you go to a restaurant where most of the time they served you rotten food and often had bugs and dog poop mixed into your meal just because every now and then you found a bite of something that was actually good and healthy on your plate?

Practical Suggestions

I want to close with some practical suggestions.

If you decide to cut back on TV or even go cold turkey, think about positive things you can do in place of TV. Many people watch TV when they are tired. It’s legitimate to have some rest time. Choose something good for your spirit that is relaxing for you and invest in it. Buy some of your favorite style of Christian music or order some good Christian books to read. I am not suggesting that you should try to replace TV with more work when you are already exhausted. Find ways to rest in God and rest with God, but never rest from God. While we shouldn’t usually try to replace watching TV with more work, for some reason that I can’t clearly explain, I have felt like I have more energy since I stopped watching TV again.

For me, going “cold turkey” worked. But the Lord might work in you differently. Here are a list of specific actions the Spirit might lead you to take after reading this (I stopped and prayed for you, if no one actually takes any of these actions then this blog post is pretty much a waste of my time and yours):

1. Some of you already have excellent viewing habits both in terms of what you watch and how much time you spend watching it. You're a good example to the rest of us. Pray for those of us who are weaker in this area than you are.

2. Very likely, some who are reading this are watching inappropriate contentography on your TV and/or computer. I pray that God will help you to stop. You might be able to stop on your own with God’s help. If you try to stop and can’t, get help from other Christians. Do whatever it takes to stop. Act like your spiritual and emotional health depend on it, because they do.

3. Some of you need to stop watching MA and R rated content. With very rare exceptions (The Passion of the Christ and Hacksaw Ridge, for example) MA and R rated material is damaging to your soul and mind. Often, it is a “mild” (by the world’s standards) form of inappropriate contentography.

4. Perhaps you need to reduce how many hours you watch TV.

5. The Holy Spirit is likely going to cause some of you to think of a specific show you should stop watching. Listen to and obey the Spirit’s guidance.

6. Perhaps a few of you will be called to go “cold turkey”, like me. Be encouraged! Getting rid of TV is a lot easier than plucking out your eye!

Should%2BChristians%2Bwatch%2BTV%2B2.jpg

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, stories, and analysis.

This is a lightly modified version of an article which originally appeared on my blog.

Mark so interesting you have this as a decision. I wonder if that includes also even something like turning on the weather or a baseball game? I don't want to accidently tempt you though! Clearly we can get the weather on our phones, etc.

The reason I'm responding though is to testify to you about my own experience.

I never did decide it was wrong to watch TV or movies, but instead I have fervently prayed the Lord's Prayer, often, with faith, and that means I'm praying not to be led into temptation (as you know).

And....

And TV and movies, even high quality ones have gotten more and more boring.

I can hardly even watch 2 or 5 minutes of football or baseball without being bored by it.

I cannot watch even a high quality movie without getting bored by it. Even the best scenes in good movies, boring.

Reading something in the Bible -- utterly magnetic.

Isn't that interesting? Praise the Lord.

Upvote 0

Mark Corbett

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2017
Severn, NC
Visit site
✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never did decide it was wrong to watch TV or movies, but instead I have fervently prayed the Lord's Prayer, often, with faith, and that means I'm praying not to be led into temptation (as you know).

I thank God for the wonderful and powerful way He used the Lord's Prayer in your life. I pray that God will stir many hearts to follow your example and fervently pray the Lord's Prayer. And as we do, may God change our desires at a deep level so that we are not led into temptation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My tastes in books and Tv have changed radically since becoming a follower of Jesus. I simply do not wish now to waste time. I am far more selective and discerning. I have no patience with the nonsense and downright rubbish on TV. So much is meaningless babble! I used to watch all the soap, cannot bear them now.
It is a matter of quality in all we do. This wirld is full of rubbish distractions. Choose carefully how you spend your precious life.

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
My tastes in books and Tv have changed radically since becoming a follower of Jesus. I simply do not wish now to waste time. I am far more selective and discerning. I have no patience with the nonsense and downright rubbish on TV. So much is meaningless babble! I used to watch all the soap, cannot bear them now.
It is a matter of quality in all we do. This wirld is full of rubbish distractions. Choose carefully how you spend your precious life.
Hi Sister ...Yes ..this reminds me of the scripture which tells us to "redeem the time for the days are evil. " I just read an interesting sermon ( from late 1800's ) entitled " Watch " ..It was taken from Jesus' message to Peter and His disciples to watch and pray always for ye know not the day nor the hour ....According to scripture , at some time there will be a generation which will be the last. It will be a generation not looking for His return ..they will have expectations of an earthly future ...much like Noah's and Lot's day.
If ever there was a time for intercessory prayer , I would think it to be now. Unbelievers and lukewarm believers will not pray or will be lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God. So who shall pray for them and each other ?
Not a fan of TV/movies/sports for I understand it takes a lot of drive to arrive at that level ...whether it be a writer , director or producer . To me it just seems like it would difficult to do that and not be a friend of the world ...Not to be legalistic but trying to be honest ...truthful . Too may people perish to be concerned with who wins a ball game. Some of the first disciples appointed deacons to minister food to the widows so they could give their selves to ministering the word of God and prayer . What would be their reaction if they saw the state of the world today ?

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi Sister ...Yes ..this reminds me of the scripture which tells us to "redeem the time for the days are evil. " I just read an interesting sermon ( from late 1800's ) entitled " Watch " ..It was taken from Jesus' message to Peter and His disciples to watch and pray always for ye know not the day nor the hour ....According to scripture , at some time there will be a generation which will be the last. It will be a generation not looking for His return ..they will have expectations of an earthly future ...much like Noah's and Lot's day.
If ever there was a time for intercessory prayer , I would think it to be now. Unbelievers and lukewarm believers will not pray or will be lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God. So who shall pray for them and each other ?
Not a fan of TV/movies/sports for I understand it takes a lot of drive to arrive at that level ...whether it be a writer , director or producer . To me it just seems like it would difficult to do that and not be a friend of the world ...Not to be legalistic but trying to be honest ...truthful . Too may people perish to be concerned with who wins a ball game. Some of the first disciples appointed deacons to minister food to the widows so they could give their selves to ministering the word of God and prayer . What would be their reaction if they saw the state of the world today ?

Hi
Brother. I absolutely love being called Sister. What a simple but powerful thing. If only it was customary for us all to address each other thus.
I love what you talk of. It is indeed very troubling these days that this is a shallow pleasure loving world. People do not realise how much time is wasted on trivia.
Our Lord Christ is forgotten and rejected by so many who favour instead the transient nonsense contained in that glowing box in their living rooms! It blinds and numbs to the truth unless one uses discernment and seeks guidance from Christ to spend time profitably in His eyes and Way.
I hope that doesn't sound pompous. I am not better than anyone else. I just feel passionate that eyes and ears be opened to Jesus. I pray.

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi
Brother. I absolutely love being called Sister. What a simple but powerful thing. If only it was customary for us all to address each other thus.
I love what you talk of. It is indeed very troubling these days that this is a shallow pleasure loving world. People do not realise how much time is wasted on trivia.
Our Lord Christ is forgotten and rejected by so many who favour instead the transient nonsense contained in that glowing box in their living rooms! It blinds and numbs to the truth unless one uses discernment and seeks guidance from Christ to spend time profitably in His eyes and Way.
I hope that doesn't sound pompous. I am not better than anyone else. I just feel passionate that eyes and ears be opened to Jesus. I pray.
Hi Dear Sister ..I look forward to seeing you " on That day " . ! I know exactly what you mean when you say that you are not better than anyone else. It is called "grace to us sinners" and to whom much is forgiven , loveth much ! ( and to whom much is given , much is required . )
I am reminded of Paul's words ..Demas has forsaken me having loved this present world. " Poor Demas . Had he been born in our day , he could have gotten the world delivered to his living room or a hand held device .....Even without a TV , I find it difficult to remain in attitude of prayer but yet knowing that prayer is needed and rewarded . The unbelieving can not pray so they will not ..Who will pray for them ?
Paul is always mentioning that so and so labors for you in prayer and Paul request prayer that he might speak boldly as he aught . My personal salvation experience is one of growth and struggle ..not something which has been done but something which is being done by and through God' grace via His Holy Spirit. I liken our calling much like Israels' fighting against the cannanites and others who occupied the promised land. Did one tribe receive their inheritance and let the others fight it out tooth and nail while they had a picnic ? How is that love ? How can we say we have faith and not be given to prayer with so much need in the world ?
I know many wish to relax but the scriptures say " Woe unto you who are ease in Zion . " To be legalistic is to do something in order to be righteous or to do something due to habit without understanding the Reason . Most of my family perishes eternally . I wonder who will win the Superbowl ? Does that not sound ridiculous ? Grace and peace through our Lord Jesus Christ while you "do battle " and prevail with the Lord in prayer !

Upvote 0